Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-06-2015, 10:09 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Battery water pump

I'm looking for a small battery (like AA, D, etc.) to pump water out of my 100-gal tank. Right now it takes almost 30 minutes to empty it. If I could find a small battery pump to speed it up, that would be a big help.

Rupert, as a plumber, any ideas? Just a little cheap one would be ideal. If I could cut the time down to about 1/2 (15 min.) that's what I need.

08-07-2015, 01:15 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Did you try looking at the pumps for bailing out fishing boats? Most of them run on a small motorcycle battery. Not cheap. Of course I don't think anything running on AA's or D's will drain a 100 gal tank in any appreciable time. Maybe something that works on 6v lantern batteries might (AA's and D's will drain their batteries- and your wallet to replace the batt's, faster than they'll drain that tank). Think there are also manual pumps that use bicycle type pedals with a high flow rate.
08-07-2015, 02:57 AM   #3
Veteran Member

There are small battery pumps available for gas/kerosene etc. that use "C" or "D" size batteries, but they are pretty slow, pumping 1.5 gallons per minute.

Sample here

Too bad you can't have a 2 or 3 inch drain added to the bottom of the tank and run outside.

Last edited by Tom S.; 08-07-2015 at 05:14 AM.
08-07-2015, 03:44 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Do you need to raise the water up higher of is the storage tank lower? If you are trying to raise it a small battery powered pump will not do he job. If the place you are moving it to is lower, a spigot on the bottom of the tank would work fine.

Harbor Freight as a 12Vdc transfer pump on sale for $39.99 right now. You connect it to your car battery. They also have a small gasoline powered pump for $135.00.

08-07-2015, 05:08 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A battery powered water pump isn't going to pump much at all and eat up batteries like crazy.

I second the idea of a 12V pump.

12 Volt Marine Utility Water Pump

This one says it will pump 260 gph (at 0' head I assume) - an important factor is how much head (how high are you pumping the water from the tank?).

Since your tank is in the back of your Suburban I doubt the cable connections would be long enough. But it wouldn't be too much to have your mechanic run a good sized cable from your battery to the back of the suburban - or make a longer cable using a cheap pair of jumper cables.
08-07-2015, 06:49 AM   #6
Veteran Member

After thinking some more on this - what are you currently using to pump the water out of the tank? Or is it by gravity fed?

If gravity fed a pump isn't going to help. What size hose are you using? The easiest and logical way to speed up the water transfer if being gravity fed is simply a larger hose.
08-07-2015, 07:05 AM   #7
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks everyone. I don't want to use a car battery or 12v battery. It was just an idea. Right now I empty it by gravity. Putting a larger hose on; would that do any good when the spigot on the tank is still smaller?

08-07-2015, 07:07 AM   #8
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
If the place you are moving it to is lower, a spigot on the bottom of the tank would work fine.
The existing spigot is already almost at the bottom of the tank. It really couldn't go any lower. Yes, I'm draining by gravity to a lower storage tank.
08-07-2015, 07:45 AM   #9
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
Putting a larger hose on; would that do any good when the spigot on the tank is still smaller?
No, it wouldn't help. There are only 2 ways to increase the flow; increase the size of the orifice or increase the pressure. (or both)
Could you put an additional spigot on? That would double the flow.
08-07-2015, 07:48 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Seems like it should drain faster -- I have a 50gal rain barrel with a spigot on the bottom -- it gushes out. You need bigger or more holes sounds like...
08-07-2015, 07:52 AM   #11
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks Jim, that's what I thought. Putting another spigot on; wouldn't I also need another hose going into the storage tank? If both spigots drained into the one hose, it still would be confined by that hose's diameter, wouldn't it?
08-07-2015, 07:54 AM   #12
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Seems like it should drain faster -- I have a 50gal rain barrel with a spigot on the bottom -- it gushes out. You need bigger or more holes sounds like...
If I would just open the spigot, yes it would gush out. But I'm draining it into a hose connected to pvc pipe directly into a 400 gal storage tank.
08-07-2015, 08:04 AM   #13
Veteran Member

If I would just open the spigot, yes it would gush out. But I'm draining it into a hose connected to pvc pipe directly into a 400 gal storage tank.
Now we're getting somewhere, what size hose? If it's a garden hose, they come in different diameters, and increasing size of the hose would decrease the drainage time - until you met the max output of the valve. However you could also have a larger spigot installed. Is the tank plastic or steel?
08-07-2015, 08:09 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
Now we're getting somewhere, what size hose? If it's a garden hose, they come in different diameters, and increasing size of the hose would decrease the drainage time - until you met the max output of the valve. However you could also have a larger spigot installed. Is the tank plastic or steel?
Exactly - it sounds to me like the tank might have a 1" or larger opening on the valve and it is being choked down to a garden hose size.
08-07-2015, 08:13 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Unless you're choking it with a hose smaller than the diameter of the spigot, would that matter? (As long it was a fairly short downward distance.)