Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
08-07-2015, 09:42 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Accuweather hatred.

Apparently accuweather doesn't know the difference between mostly clear and mostly cloudy. Went to the lake to take astro, only to find out how critically wrong they were (and then finding out I grabbed the wrong camera bag... so had most of my lenses, but not my camera). Is it just me, or is accuweather pretty much anything BUT accurate? Also, the lake is about a 30 mi. round trip that takes 20 or so min. to drive to... To drive out there and have to turn around immediately....

Last edited by Auzzie-Phoenix; 08-07-2015 at 09:43 PM. Reason: further rant extrapolation.
08-08-2015, 12:13 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The weather forecast is always accurate...for somewhere else.
08-08-2015, 01:49 AM   #3
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Best I have seen is a long term forecast for "40 to 60 per cent chance of above average rainfall." If you think about it, that is exactly the same as "40 to 60 per cent chance of below average rainfall". I guess it depends on whether the forecaster is an optimist or a pessimist - glass half full or glass half empty.
08-08-2015, 02:16 AM   #4
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Have you tried comparing with other forecasters? An outsider for US weather: http://www.yr.no/place/United_States/Arizona/Phoenix/hour_by_hour.html

(Just making a guess at what place we're talking about )

08-08-2015, 02:52 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Are you in the US? I usually use NOAA weather forecasts and find them to be quite accurate. In particular, during the winter, I find that accuweather way over estimates the amount of snow fall we are going to get here.
08-08-2015, 07:01 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Accuweather and weather.com are both usually wrong. We have had days where it has been overcast all day, and accuweather will say "rain starting in 30 minutes" and it will NEVER rain that day. One time I checked the weather before I left the house for a 40 minute trip to take my kids to ride on old train. Clear skies all day. Got there and it was lightening and thunder, just in that area, both websites had clear skies.
08-08-2015, 07:17 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Accuweather is an oxymoron like "military intelligence" and "jumbo shrimp".

08-08-2015, 07:33 AM   #8
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

ALL weather forecasts, internet, TV, Radio, whatever, should be required by law to be preceded by a disclaimer.
Something like:
"Any similarity between this forecast and actual meteorological events is entirely coincidental."
08-08-2015, 07:46 AM   #9
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

"Based on a true story"?
08-08-2015, 07:47 AM   #10
Banned

Weather forecasts are nothing more than educated guesses. They use a number of computer models, all showing different results, and try to reach a consensus. Sometimes they get it right, yet no one ever notices until they get it wrong. It's impossible to predict the unpredictable and ever changing.

A quick look at the local radar before heading out may have saved the OP from an unnecessary trip (that and remembering his camera!).
08-08-2015, 07:52 AM   #11
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Al_Kahollick Quote
It's impossible to predict the unpredictable and ever changing.
You're right, it is. It's impossible to spin straw into gold as well; yet, oddly, no one gets paid for repeatedly failing to do it.
08-08-2015, 07:57 AM   #12
Pentaxian

One thing is certain. If I'm going camping or riding my motorcycle more than an hour away from home, the chance of rain is always around 90%.
08-08-2015, 08:33 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Accuweather is based in State College, PA. Nothing good comes from State College, PA.
08-08-2015, 08:54 AM - 1 Like   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Accuweather is based in State College, PA. Nothing good comes from State College, PA.
I could state that nothing good ever comes out of PA in general. The state is like a black hole that keeps dragging people back in once they manage to leave.
08-08-2015, 08:54 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Relying on weather forecasts in the mountains is an exercise in futility. We just spent two days in the trailer in Waterton Lakes National Park. We also had to do a truck service and some shopping, so we did that on day 1, accurately forecast as sunny and warm. Day 2, which was also forecast as sunny and warm, was not. It was windy and wet. We should have figured on doing the truck service on the way back, but it is a hassle to drop the trailer before the Toyota dealer does its thing. We should have opted for the hassle.

Here, in the Rocky Mountains, the only true forecast for the weather is along the lines of "If you don't like the weather, wait 5 minutes." We gambled and lost.