Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-11-2015, 10:44 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Vancouver to Wyoming?

September 4th my partner and I head off to Grand Teton/Pryor Mountains/Yellowstone for 12 days. Our itinerary is fairly flexible, except for our 2 day tour in the Pryor Mountains. I'd love some suggestions as to what else I should check out, detours that are worth it, etc. Our trip is mostly for wildlife, but ghost towns and abandonments are calling my name again. I'm open to (almost) anything.

08-11-2015, 11:37 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Living on the other side of the globe I have no insights other than to wish the both of you a wonderful and awesome adventure !

Look forward to seeing the images of your time away.
08-12-2015, 07:34 AM   #3
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You might like the Medicine Wheel.
08-12-2015, 08:07 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
That could be your Native American day. Take your tobacco ties,and leave them tied to the fence somewhere, you'll see many places where others have done so.
it's a lovely walk, long enough to break up a drive, but not so long as to be arduous. And on the drive up to the park, you can see sage growing on the hill sides. The four most sacred Native American herbs are Tobacco, Sweet Grass, Cedar and Sage. This type of sage was once a trade item, that could be used as currency all over North America. It makes a really good smudge, if you dry it and burn it like incense. Take some scissors and cut a plant. It will grow back if you don't disturb the root. If you do this, be sure and spread a bit of tobacco on the ground where you cut it, to thank the earth for it's gift.

This site has been in use as a place for Native American rituals for over 6 thousand years.

Last edited by normhead; 08-12-2015 at 08:13 AM.
08-12-2015, 09:32 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There are some older 19th century towns in Montana like Virginia City and Bannack which was the original Montana Territory capital. The Beartooth Pass out the NE Entrance which goes up to 10,947 ft/3337m, is a spectacular drive ending in Red Lodge and close to the Pryors. If you have the time the Buffalo Bill Cody Museum in Cody, WY, is worth a visit. It's out the East Entrance to YNP. If you've read Craig Johnson's Longmire novels the fictional town of Durant is based on Buffalo, WY, and is not far from Billings. You can get the 'usual' at the Busy Bee Cafe. There is road construction in YNP between Norris and Mammoth which is supposed to be finished in September sometime. The 30 minute delays can be much, much longer depending on the traffic which is up 15% this year. When you stop to take images in YNP please use the turnouts or I'll be the short tempered guy behind you!
08-13-2015, 11:37 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

After Labor Day in the US traffic at Yellowstone should be a lot less. I have been to Yellowstone 5 times and still have not driven all the main roads. The road to the NE entrance still eludes me. You do no "Do Yellowstone". It is an place to experience. I live in Rochester, NY and I am currently in Bismarck ND. Less than a days drive to Yellowstone. It is killing me that I do not have time to go there this year. A place like the Norris and Porcelain Geyser Basins can gobble up a day alone.

It is not hard to spend a day watching a bison herd. With the fall run coming into play you may get some interesting photos. Just stay away from them! Watching two male bison in their prime spar for females is not something easily forgotten. The ground shakes and seeing the muscles strain as they push against each other is amazing and not something you can capture with a camera. You have to be there.

Before you go, just figure that you will not be able to see it all. This is not a bad thing as it gives you a reason to come back. A small feature can stop you in your tracks as much as Old Faithful can. You should walk around the Old Faithful area, Plenty of trails and other geysers to see. You also have to see the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone to take the cliche shot of the waterfalls. Yes it has been done millions of times, but it is a shot that you will want to take for yourself too.

08-14-2015, 09:10 PM   #7

I'll probably be in Yellowstone and Grand Teton the week before the 4th.

Will let you know if I see anything interesting

08-15-2015, 06:18 PM   #8

Arco and Craters of the Moon NP are both interesting.
08-16-2015, 09:56 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Definitely add Grand Tetons to the trip. My son and 8 year old grandson and I camped in Yellowstone & Grand Tetons a couple of years ago. We were there in August so traffic/tourists was pretty heavy. But, you can see gorgeous landscapes, sunsets, and sunrises. I enjoyed shooting in an area named Antelope Flats (think this correct) and saw an abundance of bison.
08-16-2015, 11:24 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for all the suggestions so far, keep them coming! Grand Teton is on the list for sure, 2 days I think. Antelope Flats will have to be on the list as well, my partner really wants to see bison.

Someone had suggested the medicine wheel and since you're the second person, I think we'll have to stop there!
08-16-2015, 01:31 PM   #11
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

After you do, please let us know if have any sort "I feel something, but I can't explain it" experience.
08-16-2015, 05:51 PM   #12

Thanks for mentioning the Medicine Wheel!

If we can we will go there on our way back instead of going through Billings
08-17-2015, 08:53 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
After you do, please let us know if have any sort "I feel something, but I can't explain it" experience.
Are you asking me to re-enact Blair Witch with my iPhone?
08-18-2015, 04:51 AM   #14
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter