Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-20-2015, 06:33 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Pentaxian Lapidary Arts Club

Thanks to my recent question regarding photography of gemstones/gemstone rough over in the photography forum, I've learned that there are plenty of members who are not only interested in the lapidary arts, but participate. Well, this club's for all of us who like to pass the time lapping, cabbing, or rockhounding. Post pictures of pieces you've made, discuss favorite techniques or hounding sites, discuss the pros and cons of using dremels for lapidary, etc... I'll have some images up once I find my decent pieces and manage to get nice pics of them (so long as it doesn't kill my remaining album space).

08-22-2015, 03:37 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Some of the rough gemstone material photos I posted the other day:

I have quite the amount of rough material, just no way to work it. Tried using a dremel, but it just takes too long to do anything, the saw blades are too small, and the blades and bits clog up with dust due to not having the water flowing on them. I made the mistake of ordering rough from an overpriced, under-quality source before. I learned that I should stick with my normal supplier. I get my good stuff from Jim's Gemology in Ohio (that huge chunk of smoky quartz and the amethyst spikes are examples of the stuff I get from Jim). One of these days I'd like to take a trip to Herkimer, NY and rockhound some Herkimer diamonds. If you aren't familiar with them, they're nice ultra clear pieces of quartz that people liken to diamond.