Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-24-2015, 05:53 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Behr DeckOver

Anyone have experience using this product? This is the new solid color coating, rather than the stain. The top rail of my deck was in bad condition, and I've had to repaint every year. It had deep cracks, etc. So I filled the big cracks with wood putty, sanded down, and applied two coats of DeckOver. It really filled in the smaller cracks & imperfections nicely! I've read some reports of this peeling, and I really, really hope this doesn't happen; otherwise I'll be replacing the entire top of the railing, rather than trying to remove it, and starting all over.

08-24-2015, 06:56 AM   #2
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I haven't used it...my only concern is that it might be prone to cracking in extreme temperature changes? If it is elastomeric, it will probably be OK.
Also depends on the wood......treated lumber lasts longest if left unsealed or with an acrylic sealer. Cedar is best left alone.....painting or sealing will shorten its lifespan.

Did you read the reviews at Home Depot website?
Regards!
08-24-2015, 07:03 AM   #3
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I've read good/bad reviews. The bad reviews, one wonders if they prepared the wood as instructed. Also most of the reviews are on the stain, rather than the paint. This is acrylic paint. It is not pressure-treated wood, nor cedar. Just plain, very old wood; pine, I'd guess.
08-24-2015, 10:00 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I don't know how big the deck is, but can you cover it when not in use - late fall to early spring?

08-24-2015, 10:14 AM   #5
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Tom, it's not the deck; that is Trex. This is the top rail of the railing. The entire rail is about 80 feet.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 

Last edited by csa; 08-24-2015 at 11:15 AM.
08-24-2015, 05:23 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I've been using just plain old exterior latex paint on my railings. Lasts about 4 or 5 years.
08-24-2015, 07:52 PM   #7
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
I've been using just plain old exterior latex paint on my railings. Lasts about 4 or 5 years.
That's what I've always used, but the high heat in the summers; to about 30+ below winters, mine only lasts at best 2 years. At my age, I can no longer redo a huge railing like this, so often. I just thought I'd give this a try.

08-25-2015, 06:59 AM   #8
Pentaxian

I also put on a good coat of exterior primer under the paint. If you have old paint that's peeling and cracking, you should scrape it clean first, which is a lot of work. This is all the difficulties of living in a harsh climate. I see all these "guarantees" on paint. 20 years, Lifetime, etc. My house and most of the houses around the neighborhood have the 6 or 8 inch overlap pine siding which needs painting every 10 years. I suppose I should put vinyl siding on the house but that stuff makes it look like a trailer and I have seen many houses where the siding gets torn off in a windstorm.

If I was to do an outside deck again, I would go with Trex on the deck and railings of cedar with a clear coat sealer.
08-25-2015, 07:09 AM   #9
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I not only scrape the loose paint off, but then sand the entire area down, apply wood putty if needed, sand again; before applying anything! Yes, it's a tremendous amount of work for this much of railing; especially for a 74 year old woman! I did not want a natural wood finish, as I wanted it the dark green to match the trim around the windows; so that's why I use paint. I have Trex on the entire deck; so that's not a problem.

Even though I'm a gal, trust me, this is not my first rodeo dealing with painting houses, etc. I also just finished painting the entire west side of the house. I've been doing the upkeep (painting) of our homes since the mid 60's; as my hubby did not get along with painting! I simply wondered if anyone had any experience with this new Behr product.

Last edited by csa; 08-25-2015 at 02:46 PM.
08-27-2015, 12:40 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I have used the Behr. There are two kinds, I forget the names. One covers about 50 SF, the other maybe 22. This one also pours out like honey and has a strong smell of acetic acid, I think. It burns the nose and eyes. The directions recommend a roller. Do not use a roller, use a brush. A good brush a cheapo will melt. It is the best stuff ever for decks. It fills in holes and big cracks. It covers in one coat. It lasts years (can't say how long for sure sold house). I can't even begin to say how good it worked for me.
08-29-2015, 07:06 AM   #11
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
This Behr has no odor whatsoever, being acrylic. The directions on mine say a roller or a brush. I'm using a brush, and it's looking exceptionally nice. It also calls for two coats, which I'm doing. It is extremely thick, and I can only do about 6" at a time, before going over the previous area starts showing marks. I'm a fan of Behr, always have used their house paint.

Now to see if it holds up, without peeling, is the question.
08-29-2015, 12:32 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Here is the thing. I'm certain there are two kinds. The cheaper kind was thick but smelled like paint. It lasted a couple of years in a high sun area and 4 in a shade area.

When I did the redo I used the new and improved version. On a per square foot application it was twice the price ( the can itself was only a little more but the square feet was half ). It burned the eyes and nose and face. It melted a brush. But it never came off.

It's been a while and I don't have that house now. But there were two. The first one only lasted in the shade and to some degree on the railing spindles.
08-29-2015, 12:55 PM   #13
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I can assure you, I did not use a "cheaper kind". I used the one that's only been on the market for a couple of years. It is a latex, no smell whatsoever.

Introducing New BEHR DECKOVER

There is also a Behr DeckOver stain; I did not use the stain, rather the latex paint formula, that was tinted to the color I needed.
08-31-2015, 03:07 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I must have used the stain ( made to my color choice ). Thus I don't have input on how long it will last lol