Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
08-26-2015, 04:56 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I honestly hate people sometimes....

It seems every few years someone manages to get hold of my debit card info and make fraudulent charges.... today was one of those. Card services caught it and confirmed with me that they were in fact fraudulent, but now I get to play the waiting game for a new card. Joy of joys.... in the meantime I have to make sure to carry cash for everything (namely gas for the car), and this requires a trip to the bank to write a check seeing as how the card is now dead (no atm for me). Yes, I'm just ranting.

Anyway, as a friendly reminder, just check your accounts. Fortunately the charges didn't make it past card services and to my bank account. Yeahhh... pretty sure I didn't pay some company $223 and some change, or donate to islam relief fund or pay a few people/companies in canada 76 cents. Just check your accounts for odd stuff like that. Doesn't have to be large amounts... micro transactions like the 76 cent charges will add up if someone makes enough of them. I'm still trying to figure out how they got the card info since I haven't done much online shopping in a while, so it could be a potential security breach for any of the physical stores I've visited in the past few weeks.

08-26-2015, 05:10 PM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Auzzie-Phoenix Quote
...so it could be a potential security breach for any of the physical stores I've visited in the past few weeks.
This is actually much more common than online, but of course both happen. Most fraud charges are on the order of $10 or so in order to fly under the radar...check your statements...
08-26-2015, 05:12 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
This is actually much more common than online, but of course both happen. Most fraud charges are on the order of $10 or so in order to fly under the radar...check your statements...
Yeah, got an early look at mine today at the bank to make sure there weren't any other bogus charges on there, and nothing on last month's statement. All the stuff came in this morning and most of it was "fly under the radar" charges with one large charge for over $200. The smaller charges were probably feelers to see if they'd bounce.
08-26-2015, 06:53 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
we have bank of america card, last year we had to get cards reissued 4 times!! we are on our second one this year. oh and then I had someone get into our zappos account and order themselves a skateboard carrier. loved zappos customer though, that was great! I know one time our card # was taken over vacation

08-26-2015, 07:11 PM - 1 Like   #5

Part of this is why I don't use a debit card for anything but cash access in Europe. (It's the standard and best way.) Good banks will help protect you, but only credit cards have the statutory protections and $50 loss limit. I've learned my lesson also, even with the credit card, and now never let it out of my sight. The card info was copied by a waitress who took the card to charge the meal. Someone bought a $300 tablet from Conn's the next day. Cheap fools used a $26,000 credit card to by a cheesy tablet. If they want my money now, they have to let me follow the card. I also obliterate the CCV number, which stops stolen information from being used on most web sites. I have a simple coding in which I can subtract any CCV or PIN from a standard number, without borrowing, so I can just add the number back without carrying and recover the CCV or PIN. Now, I can write the encoded CCV or PIN on the card itself, and it's safe. I use the credit card for everything and pay it off each cycle, so no interest, and I make the cost of a round trip airfare to Europe each year from CapitalOne using their Venture card. You can't stop a breach of a business you patronize, but you can keep the card under personal control and make it hard to use if stolen. The new chip and signature cards aren't much better than the old ones, but I also have a chip and PIN card which is more secure. Only a few banks offer them. They're not perfect, I used it in France, and only once did anyone require the PIN.

I have been proud of my bank. They've caught some fraudulent use in real time, simply because the pattern wasn't typical me. If you have an option, opt to get a text message for every charge, and you'll know immediately when a card's been diverted, even if they just use it to by a Coke to test it.
08-26-2015, 09:07 PM   #6
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have several bank accounts, and I go online first thing every morning and review each one. It helps in many ways, and you can quickly see any fraud. It's fast and easy, no good reason not to do it...it's just like shaving or brushing your teeth.
Regards!
08-27-2015, 02:44 AM   #7
Veteran Member

The small charges are how they verify if a card number is valid or not. If they go through, then comes the big stuff. With so many dishonest people and hackers, there isn't a lot you can do about it, except as mentioned pay in cash, and that has the obvious problem of being robbed once you step away from an ATM. Plus, several years ago, some enterprising crooks set up a fake ATM. You put in your card and pin, and got a message that the ATM was currently off line for servicing. In reality, it was collecting card numbers and pin numbers, for which the bad guys made new cards.

08-27-2015, 07:09 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
The small charges are how they verify if a card number is valid or not. If they go through, then comes the big stuff. With so many dishonest people and hackers, there isn't a lot you can do about it, except as mentioned pay in cash, and that has the obvious problem of being robbed once you step away from an ATM. Plus, several years ago, some enterprising crooks set up a fake ATM. You put in your card and pin, and got a message that the ATM was currently off line for servicing. In reality, it was collecting card numbers and pin numbers, for which the bad guys made new cards.
Yeah, you have to watch out for fake card scanners at ATMs, even miniature cameras stuck on them that look down and record the numbers. Really there is no way to avoid relying on your bank/card provider to some degree -- everyone will get compromised once in a while or be swept up in a massive re-issuing of cards because of some hack somewhere (like the Target or Home Depot hacks). I've had mine canceled before because someone with a similar name had some trouble somewhere...
08-27-2015, 07:25 AM   #9
Veteran Member

A timely post for me, Auzzie as I am leaving for another country and it reminded me that I was hacked before during a previous visit.
So I just called the bank and they are setting up another account with no access, and will leave just enough for travels in the account with the debit card.
08-27-2015, 08:12 AM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My brother's account got bilked $300 when he paid at the pump. I never use my bank card at the pump, I either use cash or go inside to pay with my bank card. But, it doesn't matter if paying at the pump, using credit or debit as your choice.
I don''t use ATMs if it's not at my bank, and then sometimes, I just write a check to get cash at the bank.
08-27-2015, 08:23 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
My brother's account got bilked $300 when he paid at the pump. I never use my bank card at the pump, I either use cash or go inside to pay with my bank card. But, it doesn't matter if paying at the pump, using credit or debit as your choice.
I don''t use ATMs if it's not at my bank, and then sometimes, I just write a check to get cash at the bank.
Gas pumps and the like are really where you have to watch out for fake scanners -- they kind where you just swipe. They will just be an extension of the real scanner and so not interfere with the transaction. I always pay at the pump as credit, but get a receipt in case it comes back for more later. I actually pay for everything I can with a debit card that I use "as credit" because I get cash back on it if I use it that way. It had a fraud charge on it last year from some software company known to be fake, haven't had any major problems. I'd rather have the cash back than avoid the card -- adds up to hundreds a year...
08-27-2015, 10:14 AM   #12
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Gerald C Quote
I also obliterate the CCV number, which stops stolen information from being used on most web sites.
I never thought of doing that, but it's a great idea.
08-27-2015, 11:40 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
I never thought of doing that, but it's a great idea.
I wrote on the back of my credit card where the signature is supposed to go: "Ask For ID" and the post office refused to accept it. Figure that one out!?
08-27-2015, 11:46 AM   #14
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
I also obliterate the CCV number
What is the CCV number?
08-27-2015, 11:52 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
What is the CCV number?
It's the three (or four on some cards) digit credit card varification number located on the back of the card near the signature box.