Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
08-30-2015, 01:57 AM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
Nothing has annoyed me at work for several years. That's because I'm retired.
Same here. Retirement is good. More time for photography.

08-30-2015, 02:24 AM   #32
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Customers, co-workers, and the non-functional IT department. Oh, and our new phones.
Funny. For me it's the non-functional departments outside of IT

QuoteOriginally posted by Auzzie-Phoenix Quote
Corporate micromanagement and their stupid decisions... add the beancounters in on top of that.
This. So much this. Obstruction by ignorant decision-makers is endlessly annoying.
08-30-2015, 11:11 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
People above me who have never done and can't do my job yet tell me how to do it and expect respect,

Oh yes and customers, they are pain in the you know what, ask dumb questions, unpack stuff and don't buy it,don't put stuff back where they got it from, I would love to walk into their houses and do the same, except they probably would not notice the difference
08-31-2015, 07:18 AM   #34

When I worked in the bank, every New Year I'd find photocopies of a and testicles in the printout tray #terriblescenes

---------- Post added 08-31-15 at 07:21 AM ----------

Should read " and testicles"

Last edited by Parallax; 08-31-2015 at 07:55 AM.
08-31-2015, 11:19 AM   #35

Photocopied male reproductive equipment then. It certainly took the shine off my day and I never found out the culprit.
08-31-2015, 01:58 PM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by filmfun Quote
Photocopied male reproductive equipment then. It certainly took the shine off my day and I never found out the culprit.
Didn't recognize the perp, eh? lol.
08-31-2015, 04:01 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Murfy Quote
Allergy to something in the building? Gerd? maybe he has a tic, he has mild Tourette syndrome and only comes out during stress.at work. Why don't you just ask why he only coughs at work because you are concerned?

Over the years, what we have learned from doctors is that it's caused by gerd, allergies, nerve damage or part of a neurological disorder. I worked with 2 throat clearers. One I married and the other just happened to be the nicest person I ever met. I'd take her throat clearing over most of the crappy selfish people I used to work with anyday.
We had an office wide two hour meeting today 5 feet away from his desk. He didn't do the throat clearing once. He was on the phone this afternoon several times for quite long periods. He didn't do the throat clearing once. He is sitting at his desk looking at his screen right now. Every twenty seconds he clears his throat. (More like ten, uggg.) He is annoying me to no end. Headphones set to the max for me. Some people blink their eyes. He grunts. Too bad they aren't that comparable if both involuntary.

BTW, I don't think that he is embarrassed. He is oblivious.

Last edited by lammie200; 08-31-2015 at 05:16 PM.
08-31-2015, 04:08 PM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The clock moving to slow...
08-31-2015, 04:19 PM - 1 Like   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
Nothing has annoyed me at work for several years. That's because I'm retired.
Yep, works for me. I'm retired also - twice.

---------- Post added 08-31-2015 at 07:24 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
You think you guys have it bad?
You should meet the %*@&$#! that runs my shop.
That would be you, right?
08-31-2015, 04:41 PM   #40
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cardinal43 Quote

That would be you, right?
I see somebody's paying attention.
08-31-2015, 05:49 PM - 1 Like   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lammie200 Quote
We had an office wide two hour meeting today 5 feet away from his desk. He didn't do the throat clearing once. He was on the phone this afternoon several times for quite long periods. He didn't do the throat clearing once. He is sitting at his desk looking at his screen right now. Every twenty seconds he clears his throat. (More like ten, uggg.) He is annoying me to no end. Headphones set to the max for me. Some people blink their eyes. He grunts. Too bad they aren't that comparable if both involuntary.

BTW, I don't think that he is embarrassed. He is oblivious.
if he is oblivious, then he would probably appreciate it if someone let him know so he could swiftly take care of the issue. I am sure most people would want to know if they were disturbing people around them unintentionally and want to fix the problem quickly, especially if there is more than one complainant.

Its always nice when there is a solution to an issue. I remember when I worked as a contractor for the federal government. I had to teach a guy, who was a federal employee, how to operate the cd player on a computer in the media department (where he was hired to copy media onto cds) so they hired ME to teach him rather than, you know, fire him because he couldn't do the job. And he probably made at least 30k more than me. They actually could have hired me, for less than paying him plus the contract to hire me. One day I came at our schedule time and he was napping! like snoring away, drooling with his feet on the desk in the cube. and he wasnt the only one! (oh the stores i could tell about working for this government agency)

I have to say, being in the position of not having to work is great, because I just don't have to deal with....well...people. As I have discovered over the years, I have met very, very few people who weren't, for lack of a better word, annoying
09-01-2015, 07:47 AM   #42
Veteran Member

Now multiply that by 1.8 million federal employees. I worked for state government years ago. 20 percent of the people were running full time businesses. From the " chief " on down. Another 20 percent going to gym/taking care of their/kids/just goofing off.

Anybody that is a go getter generally does not last long. I make 50 percent more at a private company and work half as hard.

Notice it is always a state employee association not state workers association lol

Last edited by condor27596; 09-01-2015 at 04:25 PM.
09-01-2015, 08:13 AM   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This:

A building caught fire in the Adelaide CBD - no one was in the building i'm told, but it caused a massive traffic slow down that bugged me for the rest of the day. there had to have been 30 fire trucks there.
09-01-2015, 08:17 AM   #44
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Murfy Quote
if he is oblivious, then he would probably appreciate it if someone let him know so he could swiftly take care of the issue. I am sure most people would want to know if they were disturbing people around them unintentionally and want to fix the problem quickly, especially if there is more than one complainant...
I am sure that I would be the only complainant. If it weren't for me the whole office would only listen to Taylor Swift and Beyonce repeatedly every day all the time on the office-wide sound system. It is odd that I work in a profession that is supposed to create pleasing environments, yet the people that I work with don't care about the environment around themselves for 10-12 hours every day. I don't know what causes mental illness in old age, but I can guess that subjecting yourself to repeated grunts or bad music wouldn't help.

I hate wearing headphones at work because a lot of people are dependent on my interaction. Unfortunately I have no choice.

Oh, and as far as government jobs and the lack of accountability goes, I can only relate one story. I have a friend that was hired, but not cleared to work for the federal government. It took him 6-9 months to be cleared. He got paid to sit in a room and read books of his own choosing during that time.
09-01-2015, 08:50 AM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lammie200 Quote

Oh, and as far as government jobs and the lack of accountability goes, I can only relate one story. I have a friend that was hired, but not cleared to work for the federal government. It took him 6-9 months to be cleared. He got paid to sit in a room and read books of his own choosing during that time.
yes that is how it always is. govt pays for clearance, they hire the employee first. My husband has had three levels of clearance, he is still a contractor, though. Every time he has to still go to work while waiting, he took online classes while waiting for clearance to go through last time. He got his boating license too. During that time, they do background searches and stuff. They do interview neighbors and some family in person. But yes it does take a long time. At this point, I am not allowed to see his office or know what his job is. A lot of people here work for NSA. Makes for boring parties. 'what do you do' 'oh I cant tell you'

People I worked with in media had no clearance, it was doing brochures and such for the public. I was helping one person out, to apply for another job within the agency. She couldn't tell me what she did because she didn't know her job description. I asked her what she did, go hour by hour. She responded to emails if someone asked her to do something, but most of the day was getting coffee in the cafeteria, making copies of stuff, researching personal stuff. She then told me her salary was 89k a year. This was 12 years ago. I was so aggravated that I left. Here I was needing all these computer certifications as a temporary contractor and was making way less than half that, and a person making 89K a year needed ME to help her fill out a form to apply for another job making even more money.

Last edited by Murfy; 09-01-2015 at 09:00 AM.