Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13 Likes Search this Thread
09-03-2015, 03:17 PM - 2 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Adorama is awesome!

I bought a 100 WR Macro from Adorama less than a month ago for 528. In less than a month, the lens pricing fell to 429. I felt that I should've waited and was disappointed a bit, but wasn't the end of the world. Then I saw this post today, https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/106-ask-b-h-photo/302767-b-h-excellent-customer-service.html

I though maybe I should contact Adorama and ask the same? They said that since it's a recent purchase, they will honor it! They gave me store credit of around 98. Woohoo! Pretty happy.

09-03-2015, 03:51 PM   #2
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

How very fortunate we are, to have such a great company to buy from! I agree that Adorama is awesome!
09-03-2015, 06:30 PM   #3
Banned

Not to rain on your parade, but, within 30 days I feel you should have gotten a cash refund, not a store credit. After all, you can return the item within 30 days, then buy from the lower priced seller, no??

Maybe it's just me, but a store credit is nothing to get excited about, it means you're roped into another purchase at that store instead of putting that money back in your pocket.
09-04-2015, 02:32 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Al_Kahollick Quote
Not to rain on your parade, but, within 30 days I feel you should have gotten a cash refund, not a store credit. After all, you can return the item within 30 days, then buy from the lower priced seller, no??

Maybe it's just me, but a store credit is nothing to get excited about, it means you're roped into another purchase at that store instead of putting that money back in your pocket.
Doesn't matter. I shop at adorama often. Store credit or not, it won't be long before I use it to buy stuff. So there is no point of getting cash back when I'll end up using it the same way I would with store credit.

09-04-2015, 03:01 AM - 2 Likes   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums

On the other hand, they could tell you to go pound sand. They are under no law to refund the difference either in cash or store credit, yet they do so as a courtesy to the customer. Not every store will do that, and I applaud them for doing so.
09-04-2015, 03:34 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
On the other hand, they could tell you to go pound sand. They are under no law to refund the difference either in cash or store credit, yet they do so as a courtesy to the customer. Not every store will do that, and I applaud them for doing so.
Yep! This is very true. I couldn't say it better. I am very grateful that I even got any type of refund at all, even despite it not being in their policy to do the refund. Better than sticking to their books and saying no, they surprisingly said yes, I am pretty happy.
09-04-2015, 04:32 AM   #7
Banned

On the other hand, they could tell you to go pound sand

They could, but not a very "customer friendly" response. Would YOU ever shop there again if treated that way??

They are under no law to refund the difference

Since pretty much ANY retailer would give you a refund of the difference if price drops during return period (see link in 1st post), it would be a wise business strategy to do the same.

You guys are happy with that response, and that's fine. Me? I'd get an RMA and spend my money elsewhere, even if I did frequent that establishment in the past.
I may lose out on shipping costs, but they'd lose a customer.

09-04-2015, 05:03 AM - 1 Like   #8
Adorama Camera Representative

QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
I bought a 100 WR Macro from Adorama less than a month ago for 528. In less than a month, the lens pricing fell to 429. I felt that I should've waited and was disappointed a bit, but wasn't the end of the world. Then I saw this post today, https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/106-ask-b-h-photo/302767-b-h-excellent-customer-service.html

I though maybe I should contact Adorama and ask the same? They said that since it's a recent purchase, they will honor it! They gave me store credit of around 98. Woohoo! Pretty happy.
Happy to hear we made you happy!

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
How very fortunate we are, to have such a great company to buy from! I agree that Adorama is awesome!
Thank you!!

Of course; and you'd pay return shipping costs.....we hope that by making it easy for customers to take advantage of lower pricing within the first 30 days returns period (which incidentally was increased within my memory from 14 days as a courtesy to photographers whose orders arrived while they were travelling and unable to test their new gear adequately within that time frame), that we develop a 2-way street of customer care/customer loyalty.
The returns process isn't 'free' to a retailer; somebody has to be paid to book an item back in and either re-stock it if completely unused / unopened, or return to the manufacturer to be refurbished. This translates into higher retail costs for everybody.

Oh, and serial returners do find themselves blocked from future purchases, out of fairness to everyone else.

Indeed, thank you for pointing that out
09-04-2015, 06:07 AM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

They could, but not a very "customer friendly" response. Would YOU ever shop there again if treated that way??

Since pretty much ANY retailer would give you a refund of the difference if price drops during return period (see link in 1st post), it would be a wise business strategy to do the same.

You guys are happy with that response, and that's fine. Me? I'd get an RMA and spend my money elsewhere, even if I did frequent that establishment in the past.
I may lose out on shipping costs, but they'd lose a customer.
The current population of the earth is 7.3 Billion. With a market of potential customers of that size, lots of businesses don't care if they lose one customer or not. For proof, go look at the ratings of several businesses, including those who provide internet sales. Yet despite this, after the sale was complete, they offered to rebate the cost difference, albeit as in store credit. As the OP stated, it doesn't matter to him, since he plans to shop there again anyway. I'd feel the same way.
09-04-2015, 07:02 AM - 1 Like   #10
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

To me, Adorama giving a store credit when they don't have to give anything, is simply "money" in your pocket for a future purchase. I don't know about you, but there's always something in the photography line I wish to have. A store credit is extremely gracious, not being "roped in"; rather consider it a bonus of the money you already spent and considered gone!

Also, thanks to Helen of Adorama, being a member here, to help us iron out any questions we may have!

Last edited by csa; 09-04-2015 at 07:28 AM.
09-04-2015, 07:46 AM   #11
Banned

The current population of the earth is 7.3 Billion. With a market of potential customers of that size, lots of businesses don't care if they lose one customer or not. For proof, go look at the ratings of several businesses, including those who provide internet sales. Yet despite this, after the sale was complete, they offered to rebate the cost difference, albeit as in store credit. As the OP stated, it doesn't matter to him, since he plans to shop there again anyway. I'd feel the same way.

Really?? You think there's 7.3 billion potential customers for Adorama?? That's pretty lame, how many of those know or even care about Adorama OR photography gear?? If you had any knowledge of the retail business, you'd realize you can't afford to lose ANY customers! Yes, the battle for the buck IS that tight, why do you think price matching came along in the first place, not as a customer service, but to retain customers who'll otherwise go elsewhere!

Why has no one responded to the fact that B+H, perhaps Adorama's largest competitor, chooses to give refunds rather than store credits? Guess who gets my hard earned $$$!
09-04-2015, 07:55 AM   #12
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

"
Why has no one responded to the fact that B+H, perhaps Adorama's largest competitor, chooses to give refunds rather than store credit"

Perhaps because this is a thread about Adorama.

That's what makes it nice; we all are free to shop where ever we choose; but to come in and rain on someone's parade, that was very happy with the treatment they received from Adorama, seems rather spoilsport.
09-04-2015, 08:31 AM   #13
Adorama Camera Representative

Why has no one responded to the fact that B+H, perhaps Adorama's largest competitor, chooses to give refunds rather than store credits? Guess who gets my hard earned $$$!
I checked with our CS Manager - who advised that if a customer requests it, Adorama WILL refund back to the payment source, rather than offer a store credit.

However, I received 4 emails over Friday evening / Saturday; all stating that the senders DO NOT WANT refunds back to their credit cards ......bcause then the money is 'lost' in the general household budget. If the price match is as a store credit, customers feel they can legitimately go out and purchase something else!!

Last edited by Helen Oster; 09-05-2015 at 01:22 PM.
09-04-2015, 09:18 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Really?? You think there's 7.3 billion potential customers for Adorama?? That's pretty lame, how many of those know or even care about Adorama OR photography gear?? If you had any knowledge of the retail business, you'd realize you can't afford to lose ANY customers! Yes, the battle for the buck IS that tight, why do you think price matching came along in the first place, not as a customer service, but to retain customers who'll otherwise go elsewhere!

And if you had any knowledge of retail sales you'd recognize a) a gimmick is still a gimmick and b) not all retailers can offer every gimmick. For example, if retail seller A offers items at a lower price because they can buy more and thus get a better buying price, retailer B may not enough profit margin to match retailer A's price. Same thing for offering to meet a future lower price. If retailer A just got a lower price on new stock from a company and has little or no old stock on hand, they can offer the product at a lower price. While retailer B may be able to purchase new stock at a lower price, they may have a number of the old stock on hand that cost more, and again, profit margin may not allow them to cut prices until the old stock is used. up. In any business, the bottom line is profit. You can offer all the gimmicks and freebees you want, up to the point it starts to cut your profit margin lower than that which allows you to stay in business. Perhaps every retailer you do business will match every other retailer's prices and gimmicks, but I have encountered several who can not or will not, especially when comparing retail stores with those online. In fact, most merchants I have encountered will tell you right up front they can't match places like Amazon due to the quantities involved and in many cases, the lack of sales tax.

I seriously doubt Adorama will go out of business because you refuse to shop there - if you ever shopped there to begin with. But if they did, it would only prove my point about profit margins.

In any event, here's all B&H has to say about pricing policy:

QuoteQuote:
B&H enters into Minimum Advertised Price (MAP) agreements with some suppliers. According to these agreements, which vary in details from vendor to vendor, the retailer can sell an item for any price, but may not advertise the item for an amount less than the Minimum Advertised Price which is set by the supplier. Retailers agree to MAP contracts because the vendor makes it worthwhile for them to do so. A retailer who abides by the agreement can count on getting first news and early shipments of new products, and generally enjoys a favored status. At B&H, while we abide by our MAP agreements, our lowest selling price is always what you pay.
Note it says nothing about price matching or price guarantees. If you can find that info on their web site, let me know. I suspect that both B&H and Adorama handle it on a case by case basis.

Last edited by Tom S.; 09-04-2015 at 09:29 AM.
09-04-2015, 11:44 AM   #15
Banned

In any event, here's all B&H has to say about pricing policy:

12 yrs. in retail, 20 in wholesale distribution.... I've learned a thing or two.

read the link in the OP's first post.

On a personal note:
On 10/26/14 I ordered the K-3/ Grip combo along with an AF540 flash from B+H.
On 11/30/14, AFTER the 30 day return window closed, I noticed the price of the K-3 combo dropped $100. I wrote to inquire about a price match expecting to hear,"sorry, it's been over 30 days". I'm happy to say their reply was " We've credited the card you used $100, Thanks for shopping B+H".

I rest my case!
Buh - Bye!