Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
10-31-2015, 11:55 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Yes and no. If you are using Win 7 (I never fell for 8, so I can't speak to it), you can set it up to prompt before accepting MS updates and thus avoid having to switch to 10. Once you go with 10 however, you lose this capability and MS will update your computer at their option not yours. I never had an issue with auto updates under 7 because you could (and I did) reject or remove them. Can't do that with 10, which WILL cause problems. A year or so ago, I had to remove a MS update because it screwed up some of my programs. And this year, after I upgraded to Win 10, it kept trying to load an update for my HP laser jet that kept failing. Under the old system, if it failed, it quit. Under 10, every time I booted, it tried to load. That got old. Quick.

Here's the irony to my whole tale of woe: I went online and priced out a new Alienware system, and guess what it comes with? Yup, Win 10, although they do offer an option ($) to get Windows 8 instead. Even though my system is nearly 4 years old, it was well advanced when I got it, and really, the only things that have improved much are video cards and ssd's. So I may just opt to go larger on the ssd (mine is getting crowded) and upgrade the video cards. Yes, there are faster processors out, but mine is rated at 3.4 and since I'm water cooled, I could overclock it.

10-31-2015, 12:00 PM   #32
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
since I'm water cooled, I could overclock it.
Nice.
10-31-2015, 08:16 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yes and no. If you are using Win 7 (I never fell for 8, so I can't speak to it), you can set it up to prompt before accepting MS updates and thus avoid having to switch to 10. Once you go with 10 however, you lose this capability and MS will update your computer at their option not yours. I never had an issue with auto updates under 7 because you could (and I did) reject or remove them. Can't do that with 10, which WILL cause problems. A year or so ago, I had to remove a MS update because it screwed up some of my programs. And this year, after I upgraded to Win 10, it kept trying to load an update for my HP laser jet that kept failing. Under the old system, if it failed, it quit. Under 10, every time I booted, it tried to load. That got old. Quick.

Here's the irony to my whole tale of woe: I went online and priced out a new Alienware system, and guess what it comes with? Yup, Win 10, although they do offer an option ($) to get Windows 8 instead. Even though my system is nearly 4 years old, it was well advanced when I got it, and really, the only things that have improved much are video cards and ssd's. So I may just opt to go larger on the ssd (mine is getting crowded) and upgrade the video cards. Yes, there are faster processors out, but mine is rated at 3.4 and since I'm water cooled, I could overclock it.
Thanks for sharing! I am keeping my Win 7 for as long as they let me... Hopefully, I can hold out until Windows 2020 (or whatever they call it by then) will need a new PC/tablet/phone/videocam thingy by then. It is running fine and I don't want or need an upgrade and I will not spend any time "fixing" what is not broken. (I just changed Windows Update to notify me of updates before I download and install, hopefully it will let me review a list).
11-07-2015, 06:12 PM   #34
Veteran Member

I am reviving this from the past rather than start a new one. While there have many glowing reports on Win 10, this will not be one of them.

If you happen to have an Alien (Dell) computer, DO NOT INSTALL WINDOWS 10!

Yes, I'm shouting, and with good reason. I've spent the last 3 an half days trying to figure out what was wrong with my computer. It would run for a while, anywhere from a few minutes to a few hours and then crash. It appeared to be a video problem as the screen would go wonky (technical term there) and then turn black. The only way to recover was to shut down and reboot. Let me pause here to say that I have computer knowledge. A lot of it. To the point where some of my fellow workers used to refer to me as "Mr. Wizard". Not bragging by any means, just stating I'm not a computer user with the Id10t problem. So, over the course of the past few days, my computer has spent a collective time of maybe 6 hours running and at least 24 hours of trying to figure why it no longer felt like booting. During the last few hours of running time, I was on the Alien support website to discover that not only was I the only one having these issues, but that for many users, the only cure was to roll back to Win 7 or 8. Not only that, but Alien's parent company, Dell, even states on their support page that the Alien computers are not supported by Win 10 and therefore, you upgrade at your own risk. In other words, Dell isn't going to write any software / bios upgrades and apparently Micro Soft hasn't done too good of job on them either.

Even though I was past the "30 days" MS says you are allowed to roll back to your previous system, there must be something in Win 10 that recognizes defeat when it encounters it, because after steadfastly refusing to allow me to rollback, it suddenly popped up and said "You should try rolling back to Win 7".

So here I am, back at Win 7 and semi happy as a clam. Semi because somewhere during all the "restore Win 10" trials, I lost a bunch files, including a few dozen photos that I had transferred from a SD card. Hopefully I can restore them on the SD card, as I haven't formatted it yet.

If you are thinking of going to Win 10 and own an Alien computer, don't leave any sharp objects lying around as you may be tempted to take the cowards way out when (not if) it screws up.
To be fair to MS, OEMs just don't like the idea of supporting many different systems. That's why they like telling people not to use Windows 10. Keeps things easy for their support personnel.

Sounds like some driver issue... I wonder if it is really that risky to run 10 on an Alienware PC. I highly doubt it.

When Carbonite is mentioned I should also mention Backblaze and CrashPlan. Both are good services too.

I'm mostly using a Windows 7 computer now (my desktop runs 7), I'm not missing too much, however the only thing keeping me from upgrading to 10 is that I have a Windows 7 Enterprise license on this machine, and Enterprise doesn't get the free upgrade.

As for the forced Windows 10 upgrade... I think it should be possible to block that? And the forced updates in Windows 10... they can be blocked too, Microsoft provided an application that lets you do so. You have to Google it, but it is there and it does work.

11-07-2015, 06:25 PM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Our Korean guy at work, with masters in computer sciences, likes win10... "stable, best of win7, win 8.1 non of the win 8 BS" just hearsay... YMMW.
11-11-2015, 12:56 PM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
I just upgraded the operating system on my main computer from Windows 7 to Windows 10.

I did so because I had heard that if I did not upgrade, the following two things could happen:
1. In a few years (after Microsoft stops supporting Windows 7) I could get lots of viruses and malware.
2. As new (and updated) photography software comes out, it may not work on older versions of Windows (like Windows 7).

So, with great apprehension, I backed up everything I could on my computer and uploaded Windows 10! It was a free upgrade.

It took about 1.5 hours to download Windows 10.

Once installed, it took me about another hour to fine-tune the settings and check everything out. When going through the setup screens, be sure to "uncheck" the "photos" box, otherwise your photos will open in the Windows Photo Viewer rather then PhotoShop or Lightroom.

To my pleasant surprise, I found that my desktop looked just the same as it did before the upgrade. All of my programs and files were the same as they were before the upgrade. I did not loose a single software program or photo file during the transition. After the upgrade, I tested each of the below listed photo softwares that I had on my computer. Each one worked just fine in Windows 10, and all of the installed plug-ins and customized settings were just the same in Windows 10 as they were in Windows 7.

Photo Shop CS2, Lightroom, Silky Pix, Portrait Pro, Photo Zoom, Painter, Paint Shop Pro, Photomatix, Zerene Stacker, PTGui, Picasa, Adobe Premiere, Nikon NX2, Helicon Filter, Photo Ninja, NIK, Topaz, Oloneo Photo Engine, LightZone, Adobe Bridge, Digital Camera Utilities 5, Capture NX, Sigma Photo Pro 6, Wacom Tablet

Being a webmaster, I regularly run 3 different browsers. After the upgrade, I checked out each one (Google Chrome, Internet Explorer, Mozilla FireFox). They all worked fine.

The only problem that I have found so far is that when I went to print something, Windows 10 did not recognize any of my printers. I expect that I can easily fix that, but I just have not yet gotten around to it.

So, from a photographers perspective, I am having no problems with using Windows 10, and have found that it has no adverse affect on my photo editing software or photo files. The the upgrade was simple and easy. I am glad that I made the decision to upgrade, and will be encouraging my friends and family to upgrade to Windows 10 also.

If you've already upgraded, what's been your experience?

This is really good to hear as I have/use many of the same photo editing software you do and I have also been hesitant to upgrade to 10 even tho it's free. I will read the rest of the thread but any updates after using 10 for a while?
11-11-2015, 06:18 PM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just did a win10 clean install, not an upgrade, with (almost) all new hardware.
Happy so far with almost no issues. Startrax 64 bit is not running as of now, most likely due to my computer illiteracy!
MSI z170 M5 mobo, i7 6700k skylake, 32 gig corsair DDR4 ram.

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 11-11-2015 at 06:40 PM.
11-12-2015, 06:58 AM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
Just did a win10 clean install, not an upgrade, with (almost) all new hardware.
Happy so far with almost no issues. Startrax 64 bit is not running as of now, most likely due to my computer illiteracy!
MSI z170 M5 mobo, i7 6700k skylake, 32 gig corsair DDR4 ram.
Clean installs are typically the best way to go. Unfortunately, with the amount of programs I have installed, it's not a very practical way for me to go.
11-12-2015, 09:56 AM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Clean installs are typically the best way to go. Unfortunately, with the amount of programs I have installed, it's not a very practical way for me to go.
My XP bit the dust (dead mobo) so that set the direction for upgrade.
11-12-2015, 10:20 AM   #40
Veteran Member

No point in upgrading. My W7Pro works flawless.
And if they stop supporting W7 only 5 years from now is no biggie... in the next 3-4 years I'm due to a computer upgrade anyway .
11-12-2015, 06:58 PM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just installed PSE5 and PSPx2 32 and to my delight, they are running fine. My Orion Starry night on the other hand,
seems little weird. The time of day vs sky darkness is off by couple hours.
11-16-2015, 08:23 PM   #42
Pentaxian

Today, after leaving my comp on for a few hours, I got the request from HP to restart the computer. No explanation why, not any mentioning of Windows 10 installing. It's good to have a smart kiddo available at home , so I just ask him to get rid of that installation, and of course I did not restart the computer. Yep. He caught a portion already started installing, and removed it.
The way how Microsoft pushes its product without consumer's consent, or even warning should be ILLEGAL.
11-17-2015, 12:32 AM   #43
Veteran Member

Just a heads-up. The latest big update to Windows 10 is being pushed out now to current Windows 10 users.

It's a completely updated release and a big download (2GB I think).

Detailed changelog is here, of what I think is the version I got from the update:
Windows 10 November Update "Threshold R2"

Lots of visible little changes. Cortana also suddenly became available for me too.
11-17-2015, 04:54 AM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by micromacro Quote
Today, after leaving my comp on for a few hours, I got the request from HP to restart the computer. No explanation why, not any mentioning of Windows 10 installing. It's good to have a smart kiddo available at home , so I just ask him to get rid of that installation, and of course I did not restart the computer. Yep. He caught a portion already started installing, and removed it.
The way how Microsoft pushes its product without consumer's consent, or even warning should be ILLEGAL.
That is odd. I heard that that is supposed to come, which I also think is a very bad idea, BUT I didn't know it already began.

That being said... if you are running Windows 8.0 or 8.1 on anything but a tablet, go, upgrade. It makes the system usable for a desktop or laptop again. For tablets it isn't as clear cut, cause it does remove some things that make it easier to use on a tablet. Also, keep in mind that all the privacy issues are already in 8.0 and 8.1, but without the option of deactivating them. 10 is actually better in those ways.

For Windows 7 users... I'd still recommend it, especially on computers with little RAM, as it improves RAM management. It isn't as necessary though. I'd still pick up on the free offer, cause, well, it's free, and eventually you are going to want to move to 10, but you can push it out until the last couple of weeks to get everything to mature.

It's funny, Vista was much hated. I switched to Vista a year or two late, but I was rather happy with it. While the OS didn't change too much, everything around it changed, and over time got ready for Vista. Drivers started to come out that were decent and worked with Vista. Programs got updated to adhere to the higher safety standards that Vista tried to enforce. etc.
11-17-2015, 07:01 AM   #45
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote

For Windows 7 users... I'd still recommend it, especially on computers with little RAM, as it improves RAM management.
And for photographers, it's worth it for the multi-threaded file copying alone.

We spend a lot of time throwing a couple of gigs of images here, a couple of gigs there ....

Last edited by clackers; 11-17-2015 at 07:10 AM.