Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
10-29-2015, 09:58 AM   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote

Heck, I thought my learning to play the dulcimer was a good thing I had no close neighbors!
I haven't heard of that instrument... looks interesting.

I live out of town in a more rural area, so neighbours aren't that close

10-29-2015, 10:04 AM   #32
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It's a very easy instrument for one the learn to play, that does not know how to read music. You play by "tabs".

Here's mine.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DMC-FZ40  Photo 
10-29-2015, 10:23 AM   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Here's mine.
Checked on youtube. It's better than my neighbor's singing.
10-29-2015, 10:30 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
How are you coming along?
I'm making slow progress due to lack of time. Work's been giving me more hours than normal since we're headed into holiday season (retail). Practicing at the lake has taken a backseat until the humidity takes a nosedive because the hair on my bows keeps absorbing it and going limp, so I'm also without a real place to practice as I'm being courteous to the folks. The violin is quite loud even with the brass mute, and I'm not home during the day, so I'm sure the folks are appreciating the quiet.

When I need to look up bowing techniques or other information I usually do a search on youtube for the fiddlerman tutorials. He explains things rather well, and is pretty easy to follow. I did replace the original d'addario prelude strings with d'addario zyex w/silver wound D string. The preludes were too sharp and buzzy and needed constant tuning. The zyex strings are still in their break-in stage but don't require as much adjustment, and the sound is a bit more mellow. It's a good thing I like the new strings, because they weren't cheap. Only set of strings I've ever bought that cost more than a set of strings for my bass guitars. I did take the finger guide that I had purchased off. Thing wouldn't stay put and kept bubbling up under the strings. Fortunately if I'm too far off on my intonation I can hear it due to playing other instruments. As with all things musical instrument, it's going to take time. Fortunately I don't tend to lose much of my progress if I can't get much practice in. I do still need to work on finding a comfortable playing position, though.

10-29-2015, 11:00 AM   #35
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by micromacro Quote
Checked on youtube. It's better than my neighbor's singing.
You haven't heard me play!
10-29-2015, 11:07 AM   #36
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
You haven't heard me play!
How about lovely duo with my neighbor?
10-29-2015, 11:22 AM   #37
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There goes the neighborhood!

10-29-2015, 12:02 PM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Auzzie-Phoenix Quote
Just ordered myself a violin from amazon. Do I know how to play the violin? NO. Will I be making tons of horrifying screeching noises at 2am... probably. I do enjoy my stringed instruments though, so with any luck and a bit of practice the hideous squealings will at least turn into solid notes within a month. At least for my parent's sake, I purchased a rubber string mute as well.
You play bass/guitar ... ?
Then you shouldn't have problems to pick this up, as long as the neighbours don't mind !

I hope your skills at bass-guitar will get you beyond what this fellow is doing:
10-29-2015, 12:29 PM   #39
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Wow... that was... really bad. I think he might have been having fun at their expense though. And yes... I have been playing bass for years. I am also currently learning the guitar. Every new instrument adds something to the previous ones (better understanding of theory, better dexterity or intonation, etc.). Due to playing bass, I have no issues with finger strength for either guitar or violin.