Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-05-2015, 09:48 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Need help setting up wifi router with new modem

Comcast says my old modem (surfboard 5101) has reached end of life and is no longer supported. I was forced to get a new modem. I now have the Motorolla SB6183 and cannot get the D-Link DIR-655 Wifi router to work with it. I really don't know everything about setting it up, and everything I try does not work. I've spent about 3hrs now failing, googling, and failing more. With my old modem, I remember I had it up and running right away, but I don't remember what I did. That was about a year ago.

So, here's where I stand. SB6183 works. With just the SB6183 connected to my PC, I can get on the internet just fine. But, when I connect the ethernet cable from the modem, to the router, and router to my PC, I get nothing. The cables are connected exactly the same as they were with my old modem. The auto-setup in the router doesn't detect an internet connection. Trying to manually configure it is where I get completely lost because I don't understand what some of the terms used are, or where to find that information.

Can somebody give me a step-by-step tutorial on how to make this work, or link me to something that will? I am at the point where I am ready to return the SB6183, ditch the DIR-655, and just get a modem with WIFI router built in.

Thank you for your help.

09-05-2015, 10:17 AM   #2
Banned

Was your old modem still working correctly? If so, no reason to switch. Comcast is trying to get you to rent their equipment. As long as you're getting the speed you pay for from your old modem, ignore them.

Here's some easily overlooked things to check:

Bad cables??? Perhaps when switching cables a wire came loose inside the connector or a pin bent?? Also easily overlooked, are you sure the modem is plugged into the correct (in) port on the router and the router in the correct port on your computer?? I don't have a d-link so I'm afraid my help is confined to just basic troubleshooting. Hope you find a solution soon.

Here's a place you can go to look for answers: http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=kp3b7jhv5m723ih4e5mftkbr51&
09-05-2015, 10:44 AM   #3
Veteran Member

That is because your new Motorolla modem IS a stand alone modem/ Wi-Fi router and does not require anything else connected to it unlike your older modem. Lose the dlink you don't need it anymore

Your new modem is capable of at least twice the download speed of an older modem

Last edited by Oldbayrunner; 09-05-2015 at 11:01 AM.
09-05-2015, 11:24 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Looking it up, I don't see anything that says the SB6183 has a router. The ethernet cable from modem to router must go in a specific port on the router (the WAN port). There is the possibility of course that your router is just broken -- I've gone through plenty of them, they do just seem to die after a while. But most likely it is configured with specific settings that have changed with new modem, or something like that. Unless you've got a complex set-up you don't want to redo, a hard total reset of the router probably a good idea.

09-05-2015, 12:44 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Looking it up, I don't see anything that says the SB6183 has a router. The ethernet cable from modem to router must go in a specific port on the router (the WAN port). There is the possibility of course that your router is just broken -- I've gone through plenty of them, they do just seem to die after a while. But most likely it is configured with specific settings that have changed with new modem, or something like that. Unless you've got a complex set-up you don't want to redo, a hard total reset of the router probably a good idea.
This series doesn't contain a router. I have the 6141 and had to call Comcast so they could "turn it on and make it work" due to some kind of change in my service, according to the Comcast customer service person. It works.
09-05-2015, 01:20 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I am also using a surfboard with Comcast, and it needed to be registered as my official device (it might work for a while without doing that, but eventually they will catch it as "unauthorized" and shut it off) in order to work. However, if you're getting internet fine with modem direct to computer connection, then your problem does indeed lie with the router or with the network settings on the computer...
09-05-2015, 02:10 PM   #7
Lev
Veteran Member

Some ISP's require to use registered MAC of the client. If this is the case you may need to CLONE your PC/Laptop Ethernet MAC address to the router's WAN interface. There is an option in that router.

If this isn't the case try first to connect only by PC to your modem and see ethernet properties of your pc/laptop, check and remember its DEFAULT GATEWAY, then connect with your router and set this default gateway in your router. If it's not a mac issue, then probably it's a gateway problem.

After that, check if NAT is enabled in router
09-05-2015, 02:16 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I stand corrected I have a wireless gateway modem through Comcast so I don't need an external router for wireless.

09-05-2015, 06:18 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm not using cable modem...but I know my DLS modem has to be set to Bridge mode to work with the router.....do cables modems have to be this way too??

Just a thought...perhaps someone can confirm or debunk this idea ??
09-05-2015, 07:43 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by forensicscientist Quote
I'm not using cable modem...but I know my DLS modem has to be set to Bridge mode to work with the router.....do cables modems have to be this way too??

Just a thought...perhaps someone can confirm or debunk this idea ??
You'd put it in bridge mode to deactivate built-in router so you can use your own. That's not DSL specific though, it just what you do if you are stuck with a modem/router combo from the ISP and want to use your own router. Bridge mode basically turns off the router part...
09-05-2015, 09:41 PM   #11

I believe this is only a modem, no built in router (Layer 3 function of it is only for management of the modem). Easy way to confirm this (assuming your PC's NIC is set to DHCP) is to plug the PC into the modem, and let it establish internet connectivity. Once you have done this open up command prompt and type 'ipconfig'. have a look at the IP address of the local area connection, and whether it is public or private (a private IP is any of the following: 10.0.0.0-10.255.255.255, 192.168.0.0-192.168.255.255, 172.16.31.255). If you have a private address it means your modem has a built in router, and is NATing the traffic to a private address, if you have a public address it means that the modem is only doing what it is meant to be doing, and the L3 connection is established to the attached device (be it your PC or a Router).

Assuming that your PC is assigned a public address I would do the following:

>Make sure the uplink/WAN interface on the Router is set to DHCP (I presume it should already be from your previous config)
>Unplug everything. Reconnect just the Modem, on this has powered up, patch the ethernet interface on the modem into the uplink on the router. Finally try patching PC into one of the LAN ports on the router and see if you can get out onto the internet.

I think the only MAC address the carrier will be interested in this instance is just the MAC of the modem as opposed to the MAC of the L3 Interface on the router, but I am sure they can confirm this.

Hope this Helps

Jonathan