Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
09-12-2015, 08:25 AM   #1
Veteran Member

For you math wizards

These are things I think about when I can't sleep. Can you see any practical use for these sequences? Is there a name for them? Or am I losing my mind?

Last edited by Dewman; 02-11-2016 at 02:20 AM.
09-12-2015, 08:53 AM   #2
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Dewman Quote
things I think about when I can't sleep
No wonder you can't sleep with all this going on...

Just stick to sheep counting, just do it one sheep at a time as they leap over the gate.
09-12-2015, 08:55 AM   #3
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Can you see any practical use for these sequences?
"Not really"

These are things I think about when I can't sleep.
No wonder you can't sleep!

Or am I losing my mind?
10 to 1 says that is the likely problem......wanna bet?

Regards...Otis Squirrel
09-12-2015, 09:23 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The math of your thought process is easy to figure out, but I don't know if there is an actual name for the thought process other than OCD maybe?

09-12-2015, 10:46 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Interesting relationships between the rows and columns. Might be an interesting encryption algorithm.

Either that or aliens are beaming secret instructions into your brain. You just need to figure it out.
09-12-2015, 12:21 PM   #6
Veteran Member

This may help or not, if you count from 1 in odd numbers and add those odd numbers together you will get the squared number of every number to infinity, 1 x1=1, 1+3=4= 2times 2, 5 +4=9 the squared number of three so 7+9=16 =4 times 4, 9+16=25 the square 5 and 11 + 25 = 36 the square of 6, 13+36 = 49 the square of 7 , 15+49=64 the square of 8 and so on forever.

So if you are feeling a little odd with your self remember odd numders are the ones that make all things square.

---------- Post added 09-13-15 at 05:37 AM ----------

09-13-2015, 05:31 PM   #7
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
I always sucked at math. If it wasn't for my reverse Polish notation scientific calculator I never would have made it through college.

You guys are making me feel so inferior with all this mathematics business.

09-14-2015, 06:47 AM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

I'm a retired plumber......all I ever needed to know was that **** don't run uphill!

Regards!

Last edited by Racer X 69; 09-16-2018 at 10:13 AM.
09-14-2015, 08:16 AM   #9
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
......all I ever needed to know was that **** don't run uphill!

That was the first thing I learned when I began my (short) career in civil engineering!

Last edited by Racer X 69; 09-16-2018 at 10:13 AM.
09-14-2015, 09:46 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
That was the first thing I learned when I began my (short) career in civil engineering!
Yep, and it's still great advice! Of course, nowadays a transfer pump can pump that stuff straight up if needed.

Racer.....coming back from Amarillo last week I got behind a convoy of 5 trucks carrying those giant windmill tubes/blades. Two lane highway and not many places to pass. I wasn't in a hurry but what ticked me was that they didn't spread out any and when I got a chance to pass safely, I had to pass all of them at once. Fortunately, the little TT was fully up to the task, but I was running over 120 when I pulled back in. Surely they should have known to give some distance between each other for people to pass more a safely?

Regards!
09-15-2015, 12:48 PM - 3 Likes   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm a retired plumber......all I ever needed to know was that **** don't run uphill!

In dealing with superiors most people find this is true in any line of work...

Chris

Last edited by Racer X 69; 09-16-2018 at 10:14 AM.
09-15-2015, 02:33 PM - 1 Like   #12
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

.all I ever needed to know was that **** don't run uphill!
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
In dealing with superiors most people find this is true in any line of work...
You're right, but with a little cunning you can push it up hill and they'll never see it coming.

Last edited by Racer X 69; 09-16-2018 at 10:14 AM.
09-17-2015, 09:47 AM   #13
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Racer.....coming back from Amarillo last week I got behind a convoy of 5 trucks carrying those giant windmill tubes/blades. Two lane highway and not many places to pass. I wasn't in a hurry but what ticked me was that they didn't spread out any and when I got a chance to pass safely, I had to pass all of them at once. Fortunately, the little TT was fully up to the task, but I was running over 120 when I pulled back in. Surely they should have known to give some distance between each other for people to pass more a safely?

Regards!

Oversize loads are required to keep a minimum of 1 mile between other loads, and convoying is never allowed. Usually those windmill loads will each have a pilot car front and rear.
09-17-2015, 11:06 AM - 1 Like   #14
Veteran Member

Racer, there were 5 trucks with huge loads, one pilot car in the front and one in the rear. The loads were bumper to bumper, not even room to squeeze in my little TT, between any of them. The road was a twisty section, maybe the only twisty section between Amarillo and Abilene, and though there were plenty of places to pass one at a time, few places to pass all 5 and the pilot cars as I had to do.

To make it worse, there was a truck broke down on the right shoulder that I had no way of seeing up ahead and when I got midway through the pass one of the load trucks swerved over into the left lane just as I was going around him at about 110 mph. I had to get to the left shoulder in a hurry and was thankful it was wide enough. Maybe he didn't know I was there, but my bet is he did. This is what gives truckers a bad name, and it is regrettable that the good ones suffer because of it.

To the best of my recollection this is how it happened....I'm not sure about the trees? Mrs Rupert was screaming at me "don't hit the trees", so I assume she saw some trees somewhere out there, but I can't personally swear to it . I'm not aware of any trees between Amarillo and Abilene...are you? The rest is authentic and accurate of how it all went down. The good part....Mrs Rupert may never ride with me again in the TT, which means.....I can start shopping for a new car!
Name:  Toy Car.JPG
Views: 201
Size:  32.3 KB

You know Racer, Mrs Rupert is always asking why I don't get anything on her long list done......if she only knew how much time I spend on things like this "Near-Accident Report", do you think she would be more understanding?

Regards!
09-17-2015, 08:46 PM - 1 Like   #15
Veteran Member

Racer, my sincere apology. I know I offered you a free first print of this masterpiece drawing in that other thread, and I even had it framed and ready to ship, when I got a message from the Museum of Transportation that they will not accept it, therefore making it worth little or nothing as a collector item.

I only do a few of these a year, but you can be assured you will get the first opportunity for the next one. It could end up being worth millions...you never know?

I felt certain they would snap this one up for the Museum of Transportation, the red/white& blue are so patriotic and all, it would fit in perfectly. The reason they gave was it was not "authentic" in detail. They said there are no trees between Amarillo and Abilene and haven't been for over a hundred years. Maybe in Mrs Rupert's panic attack, she was hallucinating?

Regards!

Name:  Toy Car-Print.jpg
Views: 611
Size:  204.5 KB