Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-15-2015, 12:00 PM   #1

Credit Union Scams

I just recently sold some merchandise to a fellow on another forum for $1450. He sent me a money order from his federal credit union and upon trying to deposit it today I was told there had been some scams through that credit union in the form of forgeries. I was asked if I knew the fellow that sent the money order and of course, I didn't. At the top of the money order indicated on the back was a certain watermark...there wasn't.

I was told they would go ahead and deposit it since I had been a long standing member with my credit union but be on the lookout in the next 7-10 days for any kickback on it. I left with not exactly a warm fuzzy feeling about it. I did email the fellow and told him what I was told-no answer back yet. I hope there's no problem with this or I'm out $1450. I'd like to think he wouldn't do anything to defraud me or his credit union but not knowing him but knowing humanity there's always a possibility. Sort of on pins and needles wondering about this.

09-15-2015, 01:00 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Credit unions aren't alone in this as banks have been experiencing this type of fraud for at least 15 years that I'm aware of and probably longer. Modern printers make very convincing checks, and in some cases, even currency.

It has gotten to the point where the only way I'll do on line business is either with a credit card or PayPal. I've only had one credit card transaction go south and I got it quickly resolved. Same thing for PayPal.
09-15-2015, 01:59 PM   #3
Site Supporter

That is a despicable practice inflicted on you, ColColt, and my heart aches for you. It could happen to any of us, at any time.

Any chance you still have the serial numbers of the gear?

I ask you that, but I haven't recorded any of mine yet. :-( Ugh.

This is a painful reminder that we all need to make an inventory of our gear with serial numbers. One fairly easy way to start is to use a portable tape recorder (a camcorder is even better if you have one). My wife and I have dozens of valuable items items and would be devastated if they were stolen, whether by burglary or fraud. The older you get, the more you have and the less you remember. At 66, I need to do my inventory sooner rather than later. Then keep it safe. Whether for the police, your insurance company, or your estate, you will be glad you did.

By all means, file a police report. Depending on your jurisdiction, they may just mail you a form to fill out and return, but do it anyway, serial numbers or not. Then do the same with the police department or sheriff's office (or both) of the area to which you sent the items. Assuming the purchaser was out-of-state, call your local FBI office for advice as well. It may not amount to anything now, but it will make it easier to stop them from taking advantage of others in the future. If he's done this once, chances are very good that he's done it before and will do it again.

The only thing I'm glad to hear is that it didn't happen on our beloved Pentax forum. I hope the other forum's administrator will help you identify the offender. This sort of fraud infuriates me. Thank you for sharing your unfortunate experience with us here.

With best wishes,

Mark H.
09-15-2015, 02:10 PM   #4
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Mark H. has some good suggestions re/serial numbers of the items sold. However, until it's actually proven that the payment is fraudulent, I don't think you can contact any law enforcement. Too late now, but for others, I'd suggest telling a buyer using any kind of a check for payment, that shipment of goods will not be done, until the check clears. If they do not accept this, you may lose a sale; but again, you may escape fraud.

I certainly hope you get this resolved; it would devastate me. That's why I only accept PayPal.

Please let us know how this situation goes, and know your fellow members here wish you the very best!

09-15-2015, 03:00 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As one who crosses the USA/Canadian border frequently, all my equipment is listed on a Canadian Y38 "Green Card" which is a list of expensive gear of any kind that you are taking with you across the border. It saves a lot of hassle when coming back into Canada for me. I carry two or three cameras and 5 or 6 lenses routinely. The customs agent will check that you have the physical piece of equipment (with serial numbers only) and stamp the card.

For my insurance company I photograph everything of significant value and lodge the photos with my insurance agent and in my safety deposit box. I would hate to be limited to the % of loss on interior equipment. Among other things I am an organist of passion, if not skill, and own an instrument I bought for US $9,995 in 2000 which was ~ Cdn $16,000 at the time. Plus there are the computers, the printer, the paintings ....

As to the topic, I am PayPal/Credit Card only.
09-15-2015, 08:32 PM   #6
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Sad story. I regret hearing of your apparent loss. I trust few people with anything but cash, credit card, or Paypal. I trust Mrs Rupert, and she trusted me until I got into her brokerage account...but that's a whole 'nother story. I did pay it all back, it beat being shot.

Regards!
09-16-2015, 08:53 AM   #7

Original Poster
It's not a loss yet and I sort of doubt it will be. I think my CU was being a bit over reactive or perhaps very cautious in that there were a few fraudlent incidents with his bank. I was led to believe there had been some money orders printed by unscrupulous individuals that looked just like the real thing sans water mark on the back and that was a red flag for my bank.

I wrote the fellow about it, told him what had happened and he was very upset and wanted my banks phone number so his bank could call them and get things straightened out. He assured me there was nothing wrong with the money order and was appalled they gave me a hard time about accepting it. They did accept it and added it as a deposit but told me to be watchful about anything showing up in my account where the total price of the MO had been deducted from my account. That would tell me it had been bogus and charged me for it.

09-16-2015, 09:40 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Good luck! Time will tell. Whatever the outcome, you have learned a valuable lesson on conducting business on the internet!

Regards!
09-16-2015, 10:08 AM   #9
osv
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ColColt Quote
I left with not exactly a warm fuzzy feeling about it. I did email the fellow and told him what I was told-no answer back yet. I hope there's no problem with this or I'm out $1450.
if you deposited a check and it bounced, you wouldn't be out the amount of the check, only the associated fees, so i'm not seeing how you'd be out $1450?

if you sent the gear before the check cleared, and it bounced, you could indeed lose whatever the gear was worth.
09-16-2015, 11:02 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by osv Quote

if you sent the gear before the check cleared, and it bounced, you could indeed lose whatever the gear was worth.
That sounds like the issue.
09-16-2015, 12:13 PM   #11
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ColColt Quote
It's not a loss yet and I sort of doubt it will be.
I sincerely hope that it will not be a loss. However, as I mentioned, in the future I would not ship goods until any check has cleared your bank!

Last edited by csa; 09-17-2015 at 06:54 AM.
09-16-2015, 05:32 PM   #12

Original Poster
This was the first time I had accepted a money order from a credit union instead of USPS. That won't happen again. The items were shipped the same day the m.o. was deposited but not cleared. If $1450 was deposited then I could lose that in that it was a deposit into my checking account.
09-16-2015, 07:44 PM   #13
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
as I mentioned in the future;
YOU'VE BEEN TO THE FUTURE??? Happen to catch any upcoming Powerball numbers?
09-17-2015, 06:53 AM   #14
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My apologies for the misplaced punctuation mark.
09-17-2015, 08:21 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Since this is about Scams, it is a good time to issue one of my frequent shopping warnings. Most here already know this, but new members may not be familiar.....

Here in the Marketplace, on E-Bay, or any site on the internet, never ever, purchase anything from one "Otis Squirrel". Sometimes it is "O.T.Squirrel", "Otie Squirrel" or any of the other similar aliases he uses. I get at least a dozen letters of complaint every day from those that bought from Otis and are extremely unhappy with their purchase. They contact me because I live next door to his home in the Woods of Otis, but it's like I tell them all....I hardly know him, I only see him a few times a day out robbing bird feeders and chasing off little birdies. It's not like he's my brother or some close kin and I am in no way responsible for his transactions.

This is his favorite scam currently on E-bay......According to the ad, he is "Farmer Ote" from Georgia and sells a truckload of Grade A fresh roasted peanuts for only $200. including delivery to your doorstep. He touts the freshness, and that with football season at hand, all your friends at your game day parties can enjoy the world's finest peanuts at a bargain price all season!

What you actually get? A toy truck with a handful of peanuts the little blind orphan squirrels have rejected.
Name:  Peanut Truck.jpg
Views: 612
Size:  198.1 KB

He claims that his "Seal of Approval" and Lifetime Warranty are your protection. In reality, the seal is only good for those NSFW shots over on the Post Your Photos thread, where he is indeed an artistic expert.

The "Lifetime Warranty" means it will take a lifetime to collect a refund. Regrettably, I found out the hard way when I once ordered a Ltd lens from him at half price. I waited and waited for delivery and when I contacted "Pentax Otie" I got this response.....

"Dear Dummy,
What part of Ltd did you not understand? These fine lenses don't grow on trees and it takes time to build them and even then the back-orders can be stacked up for years. If you do indeed want a refund, fill out the 200 page refund request form attached and submit it for approval. Be certain the spelling and punctuation is all correct or it will be voided and you will have to submit a new request. Verify your ID with a blood sample, a photo ID and most important your Social Security number and the numbers of at least two major credit cards...don't forget the code number on the back of the cards! "

Best Regards!
Pentax Otie

Just one of his many scams that have made him the richest squirrel on earth. Beware, you have been warned!

Regards!