Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
09-22-2015, 09:29 AM   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
... AMD aren't particularly fast...
I can't say about AMD's performance today but not long ago it was just as fast as Intel but you had to recompile your kernel with AMD's switches instead. Note with Open Source operating systems you could recompile the kernel with specific AMD switches or download and install a kernel with these done for you. Doing so would amp up the performance of that processor on some operations significantly. I don't recall what they are off the top of my head.

The last 20% costs 80% of your time and money on any project included sourcing your hardware to build a box. Doing so you're on top of the game today but it's rigged so that you'll have to spend all that money over again tomorrow.

09-22-2015, 10:25 AM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
Did you check the new 9 core AMDs? They're water cooled.
The water cooled 8 cored ones have a really high tdp for a processor due to the OC to ~5ghz and still get outperformed by the one I bought. The architecture for the newer FX processors is kinda crappy. AMD dropped the ball on it by not making them true individual cores, but making each pair share components. Their next set coming down the line is supposed to go back to true individual cores and even do hyperthreading. They also only have support for up to 32gb of DDR3 RAM, and since I was going for more RAM I needed something that would support more. The motherboard I have actually supports up to 128gb DDR4 RAM.

Previously all my personal builds have been AMD systems, but currently the best performance on the market by far comes from Intel on processors. I remember when AMD was in the lead by releasing 64 bit and multi core processors first, but they fell behind.
09-22-2015, 10:37 AM   #18
Veteran Member

I've had an AMD 486, K6, Athlon XP, Athlon 64, 64 X2. But the performance of current AMDs is just not impressive. On the low end and mid range they are sort of competitive, but you pay for it with high power consumption, which given how long I tend to use CPUs isn't an option, the up front cost is easily offset.

The next generation of AMD processors hopefully brings some significant improvements.

Also isn't finding the last 20% where all the fun is? :P
09-22-2015, 11:28 AM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
Also isn't finding the last 20% where all the fun is? :P

Yes, it's fun. I built my first box in 1989 and had built subsequent boxes thereafter up to about 2005 or so where now I don't bother. They are plenty fast enough for me today. If you're using Windows or Mac you really can't max out the performance by customizing the kernel, I believe.

I have a ton of old computer gear collected over the years that I need to get rid of. And in each case I'd build my boxes with high-end parts. I kind of see it as a waste of money now.

09-22-2015, 03:06 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I was lucky enough to build boxes with other people's money and a long time ago got it out of my system.
Fortunately I've never been interested in gaming, which seems to drive the technology.
Now for myself I simply look for good value on something that will be adequate until the next resource-hungry OS upgrade makes it unusable.

The cutting edge is an expensive place to dwell.

Chris
09-22-2015, 05:40 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
I was lucky enough to build boxes with other people's money and a long time ago got it out of my system.
Fortunately I've never been interested in gaming, which seems to drive the technology.
Now for myself I simply look for good value on something that will be adequate until the next resource-hungry OS upgrade makes it unusable.

The cutting edge is an expensive place to dwell.

Chris
It's good that since Vista every version of Windows has become less resource hungry than the previous version. 7 was more frugal than Vista, 8 more than 7, and 10 more than 8.
09-22-2015, 05:44 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This thread is turning into CBA (Computer Buying Addiction) ... !!

Seriously, I am going to have to take a hard look into my computer .... seems like it's getting "out of favour" !

JP

I'll soon post what computer gear I have. Compare to some people here ... could be painful to read.

09-23-2015, 12:10 PM   #23
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
I look forward to seeing it.
09-23-2015, 02:24 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
I look forward to seeing it.
Then, you'll have to call in the psych. !!