Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-03-2015, 03:10 AM   #31
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Macs were once quite different hardware-wise.

SCSI disks rather than IDE, Motorola RISC processors rather than Intel CISC ones, serial port networking rather than Ethernet.

Commodity PC components now - it's why Bootcamp allows you to install Windoze on a Mac.

10-03-2015, 04:26 AM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
We forgive you ..... hihihihi
10-03-2015, 05:55 AM   #33
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Mac user at home - just installed the El Capitan OS update - had to update a couple of applications for them to run under OS X 10.11...

I have an HP laptop at the office that will BSOD at the drop of a hat - it does not like to be undocked/docked.... thankfully, that's at work and I've had a Mac at home for 10 years or so....

the last time Windows crashed on my desktop, I bought into OS X and haven't looked back - no data loss/headaches, etc since....

but this discussion is always full of fanboys on either side and doesn't have an endpoint....
10-03-2015, 06:36 AM   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Macs were once quite different hardware-wise.

SCSI disks rather than IDE, Motorola RISC processors rather than Intel CISC ones, serial port networking rather than Ethernet.

Commodity PC components now - it's why Bootcamp allows you to install Windoze on a Mac.
Motorola CISC processors (680x0) before the switch to IBM/Motorola RISC processors (PowerPC). SCSI was introduced with the Macintosh Plus in 1986. In 1987 the Macintosh SE and Macintosh II were released. They replaced the RS-422 serial ports with RS-232 Mini Din 8 serial ports (These ports also allowed AppleTalk networking using LocalTalk or PhoneNet connectors. You could use the earlier serial ports for AppleTalk as well). The telephone type connector for the keyboard and the DE-9 serial port for the mouse were replaced by Apple Desktop Bus (ADB), probably the last thing Steve Wozniak contributed to Apple (It was used on the Apple IIGS before the Macintosh, Steve Jobs used it on NeXT computers as well). It used Mini Din 4 connectors and was compatible with SuperVHS cables.

EtherNet was available to Macs from the SE on (other than the Classic/Classic II). But AppleTalk networking was much less expensive and all that was really needed to connect a couple Macs to a LaserWriter.

They began using IDE for th HD in low end Performas after the switch to PPC. By the time the second version of the beige PowerMac G3 was released there was no internal SCSI connector. They got rid of all the legacy ports when they released the iMac. The last Mac to have an external SCSI connector was the PowerBook G3 (Bronze Keyboard aka Lombard). The PowerBook G3 (FireWire aka Pismo) dropped the SCSI. That was almost 16 years ago.

Last edited by boriscleto; 10-03-2015 at 07:01 AM.
10-03-2015, 08:00 AM   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
There are different quality components in the PC world, one of the reasons they can be so unreliable, conflicting specs etc. Apple has been better at matching the the PC specs than any other manufacturer over time. If it'a Mac its as Windows compatible as you'll find. or in other words, Macs are better at doing Windows, than most PCs are. Never the less Apple runs on Linux, and Apple has a full time team dedicated to upgrading the open OS software as their contribution.

And I still have a computer with a Firewire port and an old FIrewire drive somewhere. SCSI, however, I sent my last computer with a SCSI port to Africa a while ago. I wonder how it's doing. It was 12 years old when I sent it there, and it was at least 5 years ago.
10-03-2015, 08:36 AM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Never the less Apple runs on Linux, and Apple has a full time team dedicated to upgrading the open OS software as their contribution.
Heh, no. OS X is based on BSD Unix and Mach3. Apple doesn't want anything burdened by the GPL anywhere near their OS. The open source things that Apple does maintain, like Webkit and CUPS, are on a BSD license.

OS X is also a Unix 03 registered product.

Register of Open Branded Products

I think this was done by Apple to be ironic. The kernel that OS X runs on is called XNU. (X is Not Unix)

An article from a few years ago...

How Apple Killed the Linux Desktop and Why That Doesn't Matter | WIRED

Last edited by boriscleto; 10-03-2015 at 08:43 AM.
10-03-2015, 08:43 AM   #37
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Heh, no. OS X is based on BSD Unix and Mach3. Apple doesn't want anything burdened by the GPL anywhere near their OS. The open source things that Apple does maintain, like Webkit and CUPS, are on a BSD license.

OS X is also a Unix 03 registered product.

Register of Open Branded Products

I think this was done by Apple to be ironic. The kernel that OS X runs on is called XNU. (X is Not Unix)
All I have to do when I'm not sure Unix/ Linux is post something, if I'm wrong, Boriscleto is faster than Google.

10-03-2015, 08:59 AM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
There are different quality components in the PC world, one of the reasons they can be so unreliable, conflicting specs etc. Apple has been better at matching the the PC specs than any other manufacturer over time. If it'a Mac its as Windows compatible as you'll find. or in other words, Macs are better at doing Windows, than most PCs are. Never the less Apple runs on Linux, and Apple has a full time team dedicated to upgrading the open OS software as their contribution.

And I still have a computer with a Firewire port and an old FIrewire drive somewhere. SCSI, however, I sent my last computer with a SCSI port to Africa a while ago. I wonder how it's doing. It was 12 years old when I sent it there, and it was at least 5 years ago.
Apple has one huge advantage: Full control over their computers. They don't need drivers to support EVERYTHING, as is necessary in the Windows world. That makes it all easier and more stable. Apple can test all the possible combinations for issues, Microsoft can't, because the variety is simply bigger. I installed OS X on a normal PC. It... worked, sort of, but there were issues. Because my graphics card wasn't used in a Mac, for example. Windows wouldn't have a problem on that computer, it works well. If you are careful enough, you can (or at least could) build a Mac yourself, on a budget, that works rather well.

Building a CustoMac: Buyer's Guide September 2015 - tonymacx86.com
You want a Mac, but cheaper, and really powerful? There you go.

Of course Apple also makes sure that everything works well together, which is why most of the time their devices work rather well. You pay a price for that though, and Microsoft has so much experience with the clusterf*** that is the PC world that surprisingly, Windows works rather well too these days. Yes, I remember the days of constant crashes, BSoDs, etc. But for the most part, it's history. They are stable now, and easy to use. I can only imagine that most of those who complain about Windows haven't used it in a while, or only XP, maybe on an old crappy machine.
10-04-2015, 04:39 AM   #39
Inactive Account

Location: Planet Earth, Sol system, Milky Way galaxy, Universe
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Part of WebKit is actually GNU LGPL. It has to be, because it was developed from KDE's KHTML and KJS, both of which are LGPL-licensed themselves.

---------- Post added 10-04-2015 at 01:50 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
Of course Apple also makes sure that everything works well together, which is why most of the time their devices work rather well. You pay a price for that though, and Microsoft has so much experience with the clusterf*** that is the PC world that surprisingly, Windows works rather well too these days. Yes, I remember the days of constant crashes, BSoDs, etc. But for the most part, it's history. They are stable now, and easy to use. I can only imagine that most of those who complain about Windows haven't used it in a while, or only XP, maybe on an old crappy machine.
I'd also imagine that, if you buy a PC from e.g. Dell or HP, they will have tested that system with the Windows version they're shipping, and they will probably work with MS to fix bugs (I'd imagine they're pretty important to one another). It's not the same as the amount of control that Apple has over both software and hardware, but it's probably better than a custom system.