Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
09-24-2015, 10:05 AM   #31
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
I think Rupert's natural immunity comes from being older than disease itself.
Well, I didn't get this old by taking flu shots, did I?

I went to the Doc Tuesday, routine...but my BP has been running high for a couple of three weeks. He gave me some new meds, the same thing I requested, meds my 89 year old Mom takes and already it is dropping fast. Got my complete bloodwork report a few minutes ago, his nurse called....every item right down the middle. Heck, I might be around a few more decades, you never know!
Truth is, we do wear out and any moment could be our last. It's not like you always get some warning.

Enjoy today...it will never come again.
Regards!

---------- Post added 09-24-15 at 12:14 PM ----------

I think Rupert's natural immunity comes from being older than disease itself.

I went to the Doc Tuesday, routine...but my BP has been running high for a couple of three weeks. He gave me some new meds, the same thing I requested, meds my 89 year old Mom takes and already it is dropping fast. Got my complete bloodwork report a few minutes ago, his nurse called....every item right down the middle. Heck, I might be around a few more decades, you never know!
Truth is, we do wear out and any moment could be our last. It's not like you always get some warning.

Regards!

09-24-2015, 10:42 AM   #32
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote

Regards!

---------- Post added 09-24-15 at 12:14 PM ----------

Regards!
Effects of age?

I rest my case.
09-24-2015, 11:00 AM   #33
Veteran Member

I rest my case.
...rest...I like that part of it! I spot a chair and it is my friend before I can even get to it! The days of boundless energy playing fetch with the young dinosaurs are long gone.....

I called my Mom yesterday and she said she was feeling a "little" tired...had just worked in the yard for 6 hours. It wore me out just hearing about it.

Maybe it is best...with two bad feet I'm not going to get a lot done anyhow....but I can still walk, so I'm not complaining much! As Mrs Rupert's "To Do" list gets longer, I'm pretty certain my feet will never get any better......

Regards!
09-24-2015, 11:13 AM   #34
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

she said she was feeling a "little" tired...had just worked in the yard for 6 hours. It wore me out just hearing about it.
I love yard work. I can sit and watch Mrs. Parallax do it for hours. Every so often though, I need to take a break and do something worthwhile; like take a nap or watch some Cops reruns.

09-24-2015, 11:24 AM   #35
Veteran Member

That's what I hate about Saturdays....watching Mrs Rupert clean house, wash and iron, and listening her gripe about my cluttered desk just wears me out.

Regards!
09-24-2015, 11:47 AM   #36
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Yep, and then when you're right in the middle of something good you get "Come give me a hand, PLEASE!"
Geeze! You're not doing surgery or CPR! Can't it wait until the commercial?
09-24-2015, 03:26 PM   #37
Veteran Member

I had the flu 25 years ago, haven't had it since, damn near killed me. I've never had a flu shot. Every year is the same...they end up being for the wrong strain that is most commonly going around, so it is a waste of time...and I don't trust what's in there anyhow?

I use lots of hand sanitizer, and in the winter I wear a paper sack over my head with two eye holes when I go out and about. This protects me and others, as well as prevents me from scaring little kids!

Last winter a cop asked me to take it off as I was making a bank deposit. I complied, and he promptly asked me to put it back on!

Regards!
Rupert, I think everybody here agreed you are a " two bagger". 😻

---------- Post added 09-24-15 at 06:28 PM ----------

I get if convenient. Having horrible medical insurance through work I have tried to concentrate my care through the VA. Which means I have not seen a doctor except to stop blood loss in 15 years. I'm going to try to work one in some where some how this year. The real flu can kill. I have a 5 year old.

09-24-2015, 05:23 PM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by condor27596 Quote
The real flu can kill. I have a 5 year old.
2 scariest times of my life, watching my daughter have an anaphylactic reaction to sesame (never experiencing or seeing that before), and when she had the flu and she was wheezing and could not catch her breath. Both times I thought I was watching her die. She was 3.

I don't care if I get sick or not get sick anymore, I wouldn't want to get the flu, pass it along and get someone else's child as sick as mine was. The weird thing, everyone else in the family symptoms were not that severe. Mine was a little worse than the others, and my youngest, it was downright scary.
09-24-2015, 06:32 PM   #39
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by link81 Quote
No. Never.

I was forced to get one every year when i was in the navy, and, without fail, every year i got sick.
Haven't gotten one since i've been out (going on 10 years now) and have not gotten the flu yet.

Even my wife, who is a nurse (RN) doesn't get it. She'd rather wear a mask during the season (required at the hospital for people that don't get it) then get the shot.
Consider that you got sick in the Navy because you were living in close proximity to many people.
09-24-2015, 08:49 PM   #40
Veteran Member

There is a long list of things that can kill you or make you very,very, sick. When my Moms father was a little boy, his entire family was hit with smallpox. They all survived....barely, but it left lasting scars both physically and psychologically for life.
I am not against vaccines, I've had many...but I don't want a flu shot because it has proved to be worthless in almost every year they have been given. People that get them still get the flu, and so do people that don't. So the chance I am taking is not much worse than those that get the shot.

Hand sanitizer, avoiding crowds, and common sense in avoiding coughers and sneezers may be the best defense of all? I carry hand sanitizer at all times......and use it! Everyone should! That cash you got as change is filthy..and so is that door handle you used at the last place you entered/exited.

Also...don't get too close to raccoons, possums or squirrels when conversing.....they have horrible bad breath and carry who knows what in the germ/virus area? I've never seen them bathe, and they wear the same coat day after day.....gotta be careful, it's a nasty world out there!

Regards!
09-25-2015, 10:29 AM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
Consider that you got sick in the Navy because you were living in close proximity to many people.
I didn't join the Navy and didn't get the flu annually. The Navy must cause flu!

The CDC picks the strains for the annual vaccine by looking at what strains are prevalent in Asia. It's easy for one strain to travel faster than the vaccine process. The Navy is an excellent mechanism for that. History has a lot of examples of disease killing more soldiers than battle.
09-25-2015, 11:48 AM   #42
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'm one of those rare people who never get the flu. That was up until around two years ago when I ended up in the hospital with symptoms I'll spare you from hearing. My Dr. later insisted I get a flu shot which I did. No horror stories about it making me sick or anything like that. I didn't get one last year after it was reported the vaccine was missing one of the major strains, but I'm getting one this year. Possibly today.
09-25-2015, 12:14 PM   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My wife recently told me she is genetically immune from norovirus, the virus that makes the news when almost everyone gets sick on a cruise ship. I had no idea and would probably be deeply suspicious if someone else made that claim, but she is qualified to make that statement.
09-25-2015, 12:57 PM   #44
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
but I'm getting one this year. Possibly today.
Tom, insist on a colorful, kiddy bandaid!
09-25-2015, 01:10 PM   #45
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

every year for the last 20...

I work with the general public and try to protect myself as much as possible...

---------- Post added 09-25-15 at 01:13 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
My wife recently told me she is genetically immune from norovirus, the virus that makes the news when almost everyone gets sick on a cruise ship. I had no idea and would probably be deeply suspicious if someone else made that claim, but she is qualified to make that statement.

wow - I get exposed to this mean little bastard at least once a year - and not on a cruise ship, thank you very much....

it's quite debilitating...