Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
09-27-2015, 01:26 PM   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
True, not all the side effects they list are common or even close to common, but it is hard to tell just how common unless you do your own research...which is highly advisable. Lawsuits....oh yes, they happen, and without them can you imagine how Big Pharma would run wild experimenting with new drugs using us as test rats? They often weigh risk against profit, and it is not at all uncommon, there are hundreds of cases where they did just that and many unnecessary deaths occurred, but not enough to erode the overall profit.

If you trust your Doctor 100%, you are doing better than he is, because an honest Doctor won't trust himself 100%. A lot of how we are treated depends on us to do our own research and to give our Doctor honest information....which doesn't always happen. Do you cheat on your diet? Do you exercise as advised? Do you always take your meds as prescribed? Your Doc can't help you if he doesn't have the facts.

I have some very good Doctors, but I do keep in mind that they are very busy, often overworked and stressed and as human as I am. Part of how well they perform is up to me.

Regards!
There are two people on this earth you should never lie to regardless of the consequences: your doctor and your lawyer.

09-27-2015, 01:56 PM   #62
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
There are two people on this earth you should never lie to regardless of the consequences: your doctor and your lawyer.
Add your Mom.....you might fool a lawyer or a doctor, but your Mom knows you!

Regards!
09-27-2015, 03:38 PM   #63
Veteran Member

Add your Mom.....you might fool a lawyer or a doctor, but your Mom knows you!

Regards!
There was no way I was going to admit to eating the last chocolate chip cookie, so even if she knew, mom wasn't one of the two people on the list I was never going to lie to.

And there's no logical reason why you should try to fool a doctor or a lawyer. On holds your life in their hands and the other could be holding your freedom. Neither can be made to give up information about you, even to your family if you don't want them to, so go ahead and take your butt chewing from the doctor for not listening to him or her, and tell the lawyer about that money you have hidden in a secret account. On the other hand, if you don't trust either one to be honest with, find ones you feel you can trust. I tell my doctor everything. After all, she knows some parts of my body better than my wife did (or wanted to for that matter!).
09-27-2015, 03:43 PM   #64
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

...Watching the Drug Kingdoms ads on TV hasn't helped build my confidence any. At the end when they tell you that if you develop rigor mortis, can't see, can't hear, and can't breathe...call your Doctor at once.....I sort of get a little suspicious?
They have to list side effects that were reported in trials. That's why everything causes a headache or upset stomach, because that's what the patients complained about. But some of those new drugs are plenty scary.

Anyway, most people take all kinds of stuff with killer side effects. Aspirin and Tylenol probably would not be approved today. A triple cheeseburger or a bottle of vodka will have side effects too.

09-27-2015, 04:36 PM - 1 Like   #65
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote

And there's no logical reason why you should try to fool a doctor or a lawyer.
But people try, Tom.

And amateurs can think they know better.

"He who is self-taught is taught by a fool". :-D
09-27-2015, 04:49 PM   #66
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
But people try, Tom.
Shame on them, then. They are wasting the doctor's time, and possibly endangering their own life. I can think of no logical reason to lie to your doctor that you are paying to help you. They have seen and heard everything; whatever one might be reluctant to share; it isn't new to them.
09-27-2015, 05:05 PM   #67
Veteran Member

Lawyers don't always want to know the whole truth.....it's hard enough to defend a scumbag without wanting him found guilty, but if he gives you all the gory details of his act, it becomes almost impossible. I have two friends that are criminal lawyers...some things are best left in the dark.

Doctors.....Only an idiot would pay for advice based on faulty information they gave, but there is no shortage of idiots. Just last week I saw a woman in the parking lot of my doc eating a big ice cream cone covered in chocolate.....finished it off before she went in. A little later I heard her in the next exam room bragging how she has kept totally off of sweets since her last visit. Apparently she is grossly overweight and suffers severe diabetes. You can always tell a fool...but you can't tell them much.

Regards!

09-27-2015, 05:15 PM   #68
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Lawyers don't always want to know the whole truth.....it's hard enough to defend a scumbag without wanting him found guilty, but if he gives you all the gory details of his act, it becomes almost impossible. I have two friends that are criminal lawyers...some things are best left in the dark.
Certainly in the British legal system (which Australia's is based on), it's a duty to defend someone, but if they actually tell you they're guilty, it's traditional to either get yourself replaced as their lawyer or adopt a mitigation strategy.
09-27-2015, 05:23 PM   #69
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
A little later I heard her in the next exam room bragging how she has kept totally off of sweets since her last visit.
I've never been in a doctor's office that I could hear a patient in an adjoining exam room discuss things with the doctor. Maybe my area has thicker walls. I'd certainly be uncomfortable knowing strangers could hear my discussion with my doctors.
09-27-2015, 05:38 PM   #70
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
I've never been in a doctor's office that I could hear a patient in an adjoining exam room discuss things with the doctor. Maybe my area has thicker walls. I'd certainly be uncomfortable knowing strangers could hear my discussion with my doctors.
The door was left cracked open when a nurse stepped in, and the fat woman was loud and boisterous, she could probably be heard in the waiting room with ease. I've seen the type many times..... She wanted everyone to know what a great patient she was, I assume, and we did get her message.
When the doc came in I did point out the big ice cream cone in the parking lot.....sue me!

Regards!