Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-26-2015, 03:23 PM   #1

Problem for Computer Gurus

Any computer gurus on the forum? I have a Vista machine that started not wanting to shut down at night. I'd wait and wait and finally have to do it manually by powering off. It's getting aggravating.

Today I went into Safe Mode and after things settled down restarted in Safe Mode and it shut down almost within a few seconds. I don't know how to trouble shoot in Safe Mode to figure out what's causing the problem...anyone know what to try first?

09-26-2015, 03:29 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
You have a particular app or device driver that's causing this. It's unlikely to be a Micro$oft one, or it'd happen in Safe Mode too.

You now need to find it by elimination.

Don't do it individually - too slow, do it by disabling or removing half the likely hardware devices or running programs at a time.
09-26-2015, 03:30 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Not sure if Vista has it, or your version, but in your Control Panel (open it so you can see all the items) is there an item called "Performance Information and Tools"?
09-26-2015, 03:37 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
You have a particular app or device driver that's causing this. It's unlikely to be a Micro$oft one, or it'd happen in Safe Mode too.

You now need to find it by elimination.

Don't do it individually - too slow, do it by disabling or removing half the likely hardware devices or running programs at a time.
Oh, boy-that could open a Pandora's Box. There's a lot of things listed under Processes in the Task Manager. I do have Performance Information and Tools" in the Control Panel.

09-26-2015, 03:46 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ColColt Quote
I do have Performance Information and Tools" in the Control Panel.
Ok, go to that, and then "advanced tools" on the left, then "view performance details in event log".

It will have a million things, but it should open on "diagnostics performance" (folder on the left, go there if it isn't there) and "operational performance". Then in the task list look for events with task category "shutdown performance monitoring" and click on the recent ones, look for telling details in the below window as to what driver or program it might be that is hanging. Then go google such-and-such thing hangs on shutdown for a possible solution...
09-26-2015, 04:04 PM   #6

Original Poster
Just moments ago I found a couple things that were causing the problem. I don't even have Google Chrome that I know of yet it shows. I did a search for chrome.exe and nothing came up.

09-26-2015, 04:08 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Oh, yes, sometimes it will just tell you up front of things that aren't working (under that performance tab).

Google chrome is the google browser. Strange that it would be slow to shut down if you didn't even know you had it. (So what it starting it up?)

I'd uninstall both of those, reboot (hopefully without it hanging), reinstall a virus program. (Maybe a different one unless you're partial to avast -- the free av from panda is very lightweight and gets high marks.) And then do a virus scan and another scan with malwarebytes (another free malware program). And reinstall chrome if you desire...

09-26-2015, 05:12 PM   #8

Original Poster
I can't find t his chrome.exe anywhere. I don't know where they got the idea I had it. I just did a scan with Malwarebytes not long ago...maybe yesterday or today, can't recall. The Google Chrome puzzles me.
09-26-2015, 05:30 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Go to Programs & Features (to uninstall). Is Google Chrome listed? (under G) The fact that it puzzles you is what makes me want you to do some scans as malware will sometimes pretend is it some popular program. (And Chrome is probably the most popular browser now.)
09-26-2015, 05:38 PM   #10

Original Poster
Nope-not there. I scanned recently with avast as well as Malwarebytes and nothing showed up.

---------- Post added 09-26-15 at 09:18 PM ----------

I found something interesting. I don't know what the relationship is with Google Chrome/avast but if I go into avast interface, open Settings/Trouble Shooting there's a box you can check or untick that says, "Do Not use Chrome as avast default browser". Not sure what that's about but it was unchecked. I now checked it. Apparently you have the option when installing avast of accepting Chrome as a browser and I don't recall doing that early on. They may have snuck some parts of it in, however but that's just a guess. I know of others that once avast starts up there's a popup that asks in so many words,"Do you want to make Chrome your browser?" Sneaky.

Maybe that's why that attachment I showed earlier in post #6 about the problems that was causing slow shut down were avast and Google Chrome...they work together. I found this interesting...

https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=140849.0

Last edited by ColColt; 09-26-2015 at 06:23 PM.
09-26-2015, 06:19 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Sounds suspicious unless that was a really old message. So did you uninstall anything? Can you shutdown now?
09-26-2015, 06:24 PM   #12

Original Poster
I haven't seen anything I need to uninstall but an old program I no longer thought I had but it had nothing to do with this. I haven't tried shutting down yet but will give it a whirl and see.

---------- Post added 09-26-15 at 09:36 PM ----------

Well, that did little good. I still waited 2 minutes and it still hadn't shut down.

Last edited by ColColt; 09-26-2015 at 06:37 PM.
09-26-2015, 07:03 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ColColt Quote
I haven't seen anything I need to uninstall but an old program I no longer thought I had but it had nothing to do with this. I haven't tried shutting down yet but will give it a whirl and see.

---------- Post added 09-26-15 at 09:36 PM ----------

Well, that did little good. I still waited 2 minutes and it still hadn't shut down.
You should uninstall the program that the log shows is not exiting. Which would be chrome (?) and avast. Some program or driver is at fault. Probably not a system file as pointed out since it doesn't do it in safe mode (but you never know until you find the cause.) You can also look in the more detailed log as I explained above...
09-26-2015, 07:15 PM   #14

Original Poster
I'll uninstall avast tomorrow and maybe get a fresh copy and beware of their asking if you want Google Chrome and be sure to untick that box. Right now, I'm weary of the whole thing.
09-27-2015, 01:33 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Do a search of the computer hdd's for chrome.exe using the files and folders checkbox enabled. Make sure hidden files/folders (protected system files, etc...) are also selected. If you have chrome.exe running after startup you could always go to the run option in start menu and type msconfig, look for chrome.exe in the services tab, uncheck it, save and restart. If chrome.exe isn't malware in your case, then it is most likely lurking in a google tagged folder in c:\program files, or c:\program files x86, but the hdd search for files and folders should locate where it's hiding (and will most likely be in a folder in one of those 2 directories). Worst case scenario, you can't figure it out and then use a remote service application with a trusted friend so they can work to fix your problem from their computer remotely (provided they don't live nearby and could easily stop over).