Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
09-28-2015, 05:57 AM - 1 Like   #16
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Some people get locked into phrases and they seem to take over their entire train of thought, and every conversation they enter.

I knew this lady a few years ago, she was about 30-35 and extremely attractive. A blond that was well tailored and unblemished, wore low cut tops and was a true delight to run across...until she started talking. Every sentence was followed by "Got it?" It wasn't like a few times in a conversation, it was after every sentence. It could drive you crazy after a while, and even on the most low cut blouse days I came to avoid her. Haven't seen her in years, I heard she got a divorce and moved away......not hard to understand...I got it!

Regards!

09-28-2015, 07:58 AM   #17
Veteran Member

We need to start a new catchphrase, "It's not what it's not."
09-28-2015, 08:02 AM   #18
Pentaxian

09-28-2015, 08:28 AM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
I hate it when people add "you know?" in the middle of their speech as if asking a question but keep going with their statement, you know?
I hate it, too, you know? Oh well, it is what it is!

As annoying as all this seems, I work with some guys who can't complete a sentence without the F word.

09-28-2015, 08:31 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
I hate it, too, you know? Oh well, it is what it is!

As annoying as all this seems, I work with some guys who can't complete a sentence without the F word.
Got it!
09-28-2015, 08:41 AM - 1 Like   #21
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
I'm guessing your manager is around 40 to 50 as that phrase became popular around 25 to 30 years ago, and some people tend to cling to phrases learned in their late teens, early 20's.

There are lots of catch phrases that people cling to and over use: cool, sick, gotcha, awesome, whatever and even far out. Then of course there are the ones we can't print here.
Whoa, check it out. Righteous insight, Daddy-O!
I do agree with the premise of the thread. Some square cat layin' down some outdated rap can be a real drag.
Just chill out and tell the dork to flake off.
Well, gotta book now. Keep on truckin'!

Peace. ☮

Last edited by Parallax; 09-28-2015 at 08:50 AM.
09-28-2015, 09:19 AM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Al_Kahollick Quote
I've worked both sides of the mgmnt. desk as well, and I can tell you using these phrases for the purpose you describe is a perfect way to build a disgruntled work force. Cutting off the conversation because YOU think it's irrelevant is totally dismissive of the associate you're talking to and will certainly cause you to lose the respect of those workers. If an associate raises an issue, it's because it's important to THEM at that time. Would you treat your child in the same manner? Lack of communication is perhaps the biggest reason for a lack of respect from your work force.

I realize a mgr. must look at the "big picture", and associates are really focused on only their particular role, but a manager must manage people as well as the work flow. It only takes a minute or so to explain why things are the way they are, rather than just blowing people off. That's what separates a good manager from a bad one.
I'm not buying the "everything that cuts off conversation is a negative" argument. At least where I worked, you got paid for getting the job done. Not for discussing it for hours. I have met people who all they did was talk and brainstorm. I have also been places where a line of action was challenged where there was more than one solution to a problem, and the guy who wrote the pay checks picked the one he preferred and went with it. And I've seen employees lose their jobs because they insisted it should be done another way. There is not always a good explanation, sometimes it is just accepted procedure. it is often a very long explanation, and I'm so happy for you you work in a place where you have time to spend a couple of employee hours clarifying a situation to everyone's satisfaction. Many of us don't have that kind of luxury. We have to produce something besides informed happy employees.

09-28-2015, 09:48 AM - 1 Like   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Many of us don't have that kind of luxury. We have to produce something besides informed happy employees.
So did you listen to the little guy that wanted more life boats on the Titanic?

I always listened to my employees, even when it was stupid stuff. Every so often they had a brilliant idea that worked well. Not often, but I sure didn't want to miss out on any.

I worked for a gear making company almost 50 years ago. I got the job in hard times and was lucky to have a friend that helped me get it. It was in a production office where we scheduled the procedure for each product from start to finish and on to shipping. Beginning at 7am you started printing little movie ticket size cards for each of the operations it would go the through and then delivering them to the various machinists. It could take 2-3 hours every morning. There were 5 employees doing this, and most of them did not like me much.....they had a buddy they wanted to get the job I got. A bunch of A-holes and I didn't take any BS, so it was not a good environment.
After a few weeks of mastering the boring work of hand copying many dozen tiny work cards, it dawned on me that I could put the original batch in a plastic cover and copy them all at once, cut them out on a paper cutter, and be done in 15 minutes. I did it..and it worked perfectly. While the other guys were still getting writing cramps I was able to take an early break and relax.

The boss was furious, and wanted me fired, but my friend was also a joint owner of the corp and the boss knew better. They harassed me and made me stop my copying procedure, even though it saved many man hours every day. I went to the CEO and showed him my procedure and explained it all to him.

The new production dept consisted of one man and me....the old boss kept his job but the other three were no longer needed.
I stayed until a better job opened up in another company about six weeks later. When I left the CEO gave me a $500. bonus...not small change way back then!
Yep, that's when I learned to listen. Even the new guy may have a good idea.

Regards!

Regards!
09-28-2015, 07:06 PM   #24
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I'm not buying the "everything that cuts off conversation is a negative" argument. At least where I worked, you got paid for getting the job done. Not for discussing it for hours. I have met people who all they did was talk and brainstorm. I have also been places where a line of action was challenged where there was more than one solution to a problem, and the guy who wrote the pay checks picked the one he preferred and went with it. And I've seen employees lose their jobs because they insisted it should be done another way. There is not always a good explanation, sometimes it is just accepted procedure. it is often a very long explanation, and I'm so happy for you you work in a place where you have time to spend a couple of employee hours clarifying a situation to everyone's satisfaction. Many of us don't have that kind of luxury. We have to produce something besides informed happy employees.

Glad I don't work for / with you! Can't spare a minute or two to appease the backbone of the company you work for? You're the kind of boss that spawned the creation of unions! I suppose you're against those as well.
09-28-2015, 07:21 PM - 1 Like   #25
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
As (Sir) Richard Branson said; "The way you treat your employees is the way they will treat your customers."
09-28-2015, 07:33 PM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
Glad I don't work for / with you! Can't spare a minute or two to appease the backbone of the company you work for? You're the kind of boss that spawned the creation of unions! I suppose you're against those as well.
Ya, right, everyone who knows when to cut off a meeting and get the troops back to work caused unions. And we're all wrong all the time. You out hyperbolized me, and that's tough to do.
By the way, the only people who hated working for me were "by the bookers", I had a very open ended, manage by walking around management style, and my employees had full access to me and very long ropes, but I still knew when it was time to end a discussion. I guess I happened to be the kind of person that just doesn't fit your black and white view of the world.
09-28-2015, 07:33 PM   #27
Pentaxian

my pet hate atm is the moronic 'do the math'...
mathematics has an s people !
09-28-2015, 07:35 PM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Transit Quote
my pet hate atm is the moronic 'do the math'...
mathematics has an s people !
Or "go figure"...
09-28-2015, 07:35 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Sadly, it is what it is.
09-28-2015, 08:37 PM   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Auzzie-Phoenix Quote
It's annoying.
Whatever.