Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
09-28-2015, 08:50 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
My guess is that the people caught up in using these cliches can't write very well. In my business email communications are a record of product delivery. If they are riddled with cliches of dubious understanding they become fodder for possible litigation. If conversations include these types of cliches then that mentality will likely filter into the written documentation. We have to avoid it. This is not to say that we don't have informalities in our conversations, but critical aspects need to be completely understood. Cliches don't really help.

09-28-2015, 08:50 PM - 1 Like   #32
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Even Yoda says "It is it is what"
09-28-2015, 09:13 PM - 1 Like   #33
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Transit Quote
my pet hate atm is the moronic 'do the math'...
mathematics has an s people !
Not in the US. ("Mathematics" does of course, but the word "maths" is generally not used.) Drives the Brits crazy, and apparently the Kiwis also...
09-29-2015, 02:48 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Not in the US. ("Mathematics" does of course, but the word "maths" is generally not used.) Drives the Brits crazy, and apparently the Kiwis also...
Indeed. Even universities list their classes as Math 101, Math 102, etc., and not Maths. As a side note, my spell check doesn't even recognize the word maths.

09-29-2015, 12:30 PM   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
Indeed. Even universities list their classes as Math 101, Math 102, etc., and not Maths. ....
They would, it's an Americanism

Last edited by Transit; 10-07-2015 at 01:42 PM.
09-30-2015, 06:43 AM   #36
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Well, in Norm's defense, an associate may be an employee, but an employee may not always be an associate. I think the boss still has that option, and those that don't have lost control.

I've seen many instances where the boss was the dog wagged by the "associates" and it seldom results in good productivity. I ran a very successful business for 25 years, treated my employees with the respect they deserved...or didn't...and did what bosses do....kept order and maintained standards that would lead to a profit and satisfied customers that would return over and over. Far too many of those "associates" were mostly only interested in Fridays....pay day!

There are many ways to lead, but a boss must lead or he/she is just another "associate". I don't see many "associates" in the military.....and they seem to get the job done when allowed......that "when allowed" is when they are not stifled by "associates" from above.
I have a hard time visualizing Gen George Patton addressing his soldiers as "associates", but his being a great leader is undeniable. Respect from his men is legendary....and they won when called on to perform.

That's my view...others may vary with it.

Regards!
10-07-2015, 11:57 AM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

According to Vincent McKenna (Bill Murray) in the movie St. Vincent
this phrase means “You’re screwed and you’re gonna stay screwed.

http://jayruud.com/movie-review-st-vincent-by-theodore-melfi/

This is a film worth watching, and set in nearby Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn.

Chris

10-09-2015, 06:59 AM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Auzzie-Phoenix Quote
Just another random rant. Had a manager at work who would completely brush everything off with that phrase. Seems everyone is saying it these days. It's annoying.
I guess you don't like my signature line then.....
10-09-2015, 10:09 AM - 1 Like   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
I guess you don't like my signature line then.....
To be completely honest Stan...it is what it is!

Regards!
10-09-2015, 10:35 AM   #40
Pentaxian

I actually like the phrase as a clever bit of English (and other tautologies, like in The Wire supercut I posted above). Seems absurd and meaningless, but actually says so much (in context). But you know a friend on facebook also recently posted the same thing about hating it.

I get the feeling it is being used often now in a work / office environment always in a negative way, but since I'm never in such environments I don't associate it with the negative connotation of dismissiveness and surrender as seems to be the case with others. I hate to have it ruined by the business-speak idiots running it into the ground...
10-09-2015, 10:54 AM   #41
Veteran Member

In High School there was a popular phrase that was heard everywhere......"Kiss a roo" I don't know what it meant or where it came from and neither did anyone else I knew...and I knew everyone. It was used in all sorts of ways.....positive, negative, a response for yes..or for no...didn't seem to matter.

Going to the party tonight? .."Kiss a roo!" Made no sense ......at least "it is what it is" can be comprehended...by most!

Regards!
10-09-2015, 10:55 AM - 1 Like   #42
Veteran Member

The phrase is in my sig line for a reason. When I was younger I used to get very frustrated with things that would go wrong which would be out of my control - like vonBaloney says mostly were work related. So I adopted the phrase to help my own self preservation and sanity I guess - would look at all angles at which I could possibly change something, then if not, tell myself "it is what it is" and be able to move on to something more productive.

After getting sick and having to stop working (with all the associated complications) after being mad at the world at first, I finally calmed down, realized that there was nothing I could do about what befell my life (it is what it is) and was able to move on at least to the point where I can now concentrate more on what I CAN do imstead or what I CAN'T do.
10-10-2015, 07:50 AM   #43
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Auzzie-Phoenix Quote
"it is what it is"
It's always sounded such a negative phrase, there's no "can do" even hinted at within it.

Not a client keeper or winner at all.
10-10-2015, 08:01 AM   #44
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Does it sound any better in Latin?

Is est quis is est
10-10-2015, 11:07 AM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
It's always sounded such a negative phrase, there's no "can do" even hinted at within it.

Not a client keeper or winner at all.
Maybe...but sometimes reality is harsh. I'm generally in a positive attitude, but there are times when the fact is....."it is what it is". As Stan noted, once you realize that, you can find a path forward that supports a better outlook on the situation. Few ever recover from a bad situation or addiction without first coming face to face with the reality they face. It is not necessarily a sign of defeat, but a recognition of the situation.

I see it every morning when I shave and look in the mirror at a 17 year old trapped in a 70 year old body.....It is what it is!

Best Regards!