Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
10-06-2015, 09:20 AM   #16
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
You can see my organization in the link in my sig.
That looks very decent.....the images show fine and it might be worth a try. Otis went straight to the "Beach Photos"...wonder why? Once inside he said he was disappointed and closed the site, so I will have to go back and take another look around!

Regards!

10-07-2015, 12:23 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have a Flickr account and I think it's fine for an amateur enthusiast like me. It offers enough organizational tools like folders, reordering photos, etc for me. Some people don't care for the extra compression Flickr performs on the images but I think only the pixel peepers mind. My 24 MP images looks just fine when down-scaled to my 2 MP monitors and viewed full screen.

What other sites are there? The answer is way too many! Instagram, 500pix, Photobucket, and the list goes on and on. It seems like every site tries to have their own spin on how to share photos but in the end they all do about the same thing - display your photos. How they each attract a different crowd is beyond me but so is social media in general.
10-11-2015, 11:06 AM   #18
osv
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
it always seemed to me that instagram was more of a social media phenomenon than an actual photo hosting site.

when you put photos on instagram that go viral, your rights as a photographer are generally ignored, worse than just about anywhere else.

flickr has changed their compression algorithms: Here's How Flickr's Image Compression Has Changed Since Early 2014
10-11-2015, 12:24 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by osv Quote
it always seemed to me that instagram was more of a social media phenomenon than an actual photo hosting site.

when you put photos on instagram that go viral, your rights as a photographer are generally ignored, worse than just about anywhere else.

flickr has changed their compression algorithms: Here's How Flickr's Image Compression Has Changed Since Early 2014
Maybe the rights retained by the photographer is the distinguishing factor between all these photo sharing sites. Is Flickr geared more toward the pro who has some control over their work vs. Instagram that is made for the self indulgent selfie crowd that doesn't care about ownership?

10-11-2015, 07:58 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by osv Quote

most people use regram, which retains credit. if not using regram, most people mention in comment area 'repost of 'account name'. a lot of my images are reposted on our state or local county tourism feed and I always get credit. no worse than anywhere else

maybe one day richard prince may get a hold of them, but most people who follow my instagram are pro to budding amatuer photographers. I see no selfies in my feed. not photo storage, by any means but there are some amazing photos on there to be seen.

cool thing, you can search by hashtag for other pentax users. there are even hubs which share images submitted by pentax owners. its nice to see what other pentaxians are doing. lots of film users too
10-16-2015, 08:49 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Something must be wrong over on Flickr......this week it has been running smooth and easy. Maybe they have been reading this thread!

BTW- I didn't mention it, but they do have a pretty nice little editing program just to the left of the download arrow. Just simple edits to improve a posted photo without removing it and starting over. Worth checking out, it can make some minor improvements and save time.

Regards!
10-17-2015, 09:45 AM   #22

Quick question on Flickr.... How do I post my images from Flickr to the forum using the picture icon above?

I can;t find the HTTP extension on Flickr with the .jpg extension that points directly to the photo.

10-17-2015, 02:07 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kentster Quote
Quick question on Flickr.... How do I post my images from Flickr to the forum using the picture icon above?
*Click on the photo you want.
*It opens in its own window
*Go to the right pointing arrow below the photo and click on it
*Click on the BBC code at the top
*Select the size at the bottom
*Click on the code line in the center until it lights up in blue
*Right click and select copy

Paste the photo into the thread you are posting, you don't need the picture icon.

Regards!
10-18-2015, 03:58 PM - 2 Likes   #24

thank you
10-18-2015, 05:00 PM   #25
Veteran Member

I got tired of hearing rumors that such and such was going to charge X. Or you can only have y amount of space. I actually did not know of the extra compression on the pics. Two years ago I just decided I would get my own page through ipage.

I get my own domain name easy to remember no X dot y dot ( insert hard to remember ). I don't have to figure out extra stuff. It's my page and I can do what I want.

For video sharing I use YouTube.
10-18-2015, 05:17 PM   #26
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Forgetting your user name and password is not really flickr's fault....
Flickr no longer accepts my user name and password to log in to my account. To get in to the account now requires a yahoo email. If you don't use the email (I don't), they delete it, lock you out of your account and create a set of ridiculous steps to get back in. I had this account long before yahoo took the company over. For a while they insisted on access to all my Facebook contacts in lieu of a yahoo account and although they pledged to allow login via gmail, they didn't.
Flickr is the only thing propping up yahoo as far as I can tell. If it wasn't for Flickr access nobody would ever use their stuff. I'm just tired of playing their games. Every 6 months or so they set up some new set of hoops to jump through, because I don't use their email. If I ever gain access to my account again, I'm pulling all my pics down and deleting it. At the moment I doubt I will get back on as they don't answer emails regarding service issues. They did offer to send some instructions to the email they closed because I didn't use it (not very helpful) or to send instructions to the cell phone I had a few years ago (also not very useful).

---------- Post added 10-18-15 at 08:19 PM ----------

After a bunch of looking around at options, I've decided to give 500px a try. Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences.
10-18-2015, 05:26 PM   #27
Veteran Member

I still have trouble posting my Flickr pictures here. I even follow the instructions. Adam helped me out a while back, and it worked, but now I'm having problems with it again. I even went back to Adam's messages and went through the steps again, and rechecked my Flickr sharing settings. I haven't tried to find a new photo site because I haven't heard of any that are a whole lot better. Oh well.
10-19-2015, 01:36 PM   #28

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
It opens in its own window
*Go to the right pointing arrow below the photo and click on it
*Click on the BBC code at the top
*Select the size at the bottom
*Click on the code line in the center until it lights up in blue
*Right click and select copy

Paste the photo into the thread you are posting, you don't need the picture icon.
this worked great for me..... Thanks Rupert
10-20-2015, 06:37 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kentster Quote
this worked great for me..... Thanks Rupert
You are welcome!

Regards!