Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-12-2015, 11:27 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Reverse Internation Travel

Hi,
I am trying to help a really good friend. Here is his situation. He is from Russia, and mostly lives in Venezuela.
He has lived in Canada and has a Canadian passport. He wants to do the following:

Fly from Venezuela to New York with a one way ticket. Then take a bus from New York to Toronto. In three months time
he will go to Russia leaving directly from Canada.

His concern is that the USA immigration will not believe he is traveling through, and not just coming to stay.

Can anyone offer any advice on what he needs to do?

Thanks!

10-12-2015, 11:50 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It would likely be much, much easier for him to simply fly to Toronto and enter Canada on his Canadian passport (is he dual nationality with Canada and Russia both?). As a Canadian passport holder, he would simply be returning where he has citizenship / residency and no visa would be required.

Then, if he wanted to visit NYC, take a bus trip or flight as a tourist with an entry and exit ticket for the USA.

The reason I suggest that route that is that he may require a US-issued visa to enter the USA from Venezuela and US Consulates generally do not look favorably on one-way tickets for those who apply for tourist visas. Venezuela origin just makes that a bit worse, since the US and Venezuelan governments have been at odds. Venezuela origin and Russian citizenship with a Canadian passport.... well, it's getting more complicated.

Normally, a Canadian citizen entering the USA directly from Canada or another country would not require a visa, but originating flights of foreigners from Venezuela will likely receive extra scrutiny. And is he a Canadian citizen or how is he a passport holder? Since you did not state his exact residency / citizenship status regarding Canada & Russia, that's about as much as can be said.

A bit more information here.

As mentioned, it can be complicated:
QuoteQuote:
Residents (PR) of Canada who are landed immigrants generally need a passport and visa to enter the United States, unless they are a citizen of a country eligible for the Visa Waiver Program (VWP). If they are a citizen of a country eligible for the VWP, they are only required to have their valid passport - coming by land.

If coming by air and sea, they will need to have advance approval to travel through the Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA System). There is an ESTA application fee of $14. To obtain a list of countries eligible for the VWP, please reference the Department of State Web site.
To find out if he will need a visa for his travel-through in the USA, he should contact the US Consulate or Embassy in Venezuela.
10-12-2015, 12:10 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks! If this helps I believe he is a citizen of Canada (his ex- wife is a permanent citizen of Canada, as well as his son). He does not want to sight see in New York. There is some ultra discount airline that flys to New York and Ft. Lauderdale from Caracus. It is 100 percent cost driven as it may cost double to fly to Canada.
I will look up the consulate for him. Your insight is what I thought as well. Will not be looked upon favorably.
10-13-2015, 10:07 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I gave my friend the advice that if he was trying to circumvent getting a travel visa by pretending he is Canadian, with a one way ticket, coming from Venezuela, that he would most likely end up being detained for an indefinite period of time.

10-15-2015, 05:56 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by condor27596 Quote
I gave my friend the advice that if he was trying to circumvent getting a travel visa by pretending he is Canadian, with a one way ticket, coming from Venezuela, that he would most likely end up being detained for an indefinite period of time.
If he has Canadian valid passport, why he is pretending being Canadian? Perhaps, he does not tell you the whole story.
10-15-2015, 07:11 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I figured out he is trying to travel through the USA without getting a visa. I do not think Canadians need a visa. However, I am convinced coming from Venezuela with a one way ticket is suspicious. If they question him it will take 3 seconds to figure out his English is all wrong. If he is detained they will discover he has a Canadian, Russian, and Venezuela passports. I think no big deal in 1970. I am concerned for him in the current political climate.

If he were taking a bus from Toronto to NYC and then flying to Venezuela I would say go for it.

I advised him to call the consulate there and talk to them directly. I advised him that getting caught trying to circumvent the system can result in disasterous results.

If everyone thinks he is free to come and go as a Canadian (to the USA) I will give him different advice.
10-15-2015, 07:26 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I figured out he is trying to travel through the USA without getting a visa. I do not think Canadians need a visa. However, I am convinced coming from Venezuela with a one way ticket is suspicious. If they question him it will take 3 seconds to figure out his English is all wrong. If he is detained they will discover he has a Canadian, Russian, and Venezuela passports. I think no big deal in 1970. I am concerned for him in the current political climate.
Political climate is one thing, and valid documentation is another. Poor English is not the reason for suspicion.
Yes, you are right, the best advice for him is to contact consulate.
I assume he wants to use at least of his two passports, Venezuelan, and Canadian to avoid dealing with visa.
Here is the Canadian link
http://travel.gc.ca/travelling/documents/dual-citizenship

I think the problem is Venezuela, where dual citizenship is not recognized.

Last edited by micromacro; 10-15-2015 at 07:33 AM.
10-15-2015, 08:13 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Russians are used to operating outside the law. So I am certain he does not care who does and does not recognize his dual or even tri citizenship. He just uses whatever passport is the most handy for that day. It's not like he's trying to get welfare benefits. He just wants to go through the line at customs and immigration with no visa fees, and no hassle.

My main advice to him was that it will most likely work out, BUT, if he is detained, and they find three passports in his pockets that the potential downside
is being detained for an indefinite period of time.

He only needs a travel through visa (if they have such a thing) not even one where you can stay 90 days for vacation.
10-15-2015, 08:27 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Russians are used to operating outside the law.
Well, lets put this way: certain type of Russians.
I don't give advice in cases like this. I simply tell the truth: I don't do that therefore I don't know.
I wish him luck in whatever he decides.
10-15-2015, 12:28 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The best thing your friend can do is tell the truth when asked. He need not be "an honest dummy" as we say in Russian so don't volunteer any extra information. Just answer the question honestly. With his Canadian passport he should be able to get into the US just fine. Will there be extra questions and scrutiny? Yeah, probably. That's where the honesty part comes in.

Holding multiple passports is not unusual. There are many people with dual citizenship who hold multiple passports. Just don't go flashing them around the TSA agent all at the same time.
10-15-2015, 12:39 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Canada doesn't grant passports to non-citizens. Canadian citizens have special status and are free to enter the US without visa or waiver and remain for up to 6 months. As an individual they could still have reason to deny him entry, however.