Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
11-20-2015, 01:50 PM   #151
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Looks like it just got measurably worse.....
https://www.yahoo.com/autos/s/vw-emissions-issue-extends-additional-191432155.html

I don't know the numbers, but at some point VW may not be able to weather the storm? Anyone know how deep their pockets are?

I still can't believe this happened. How could they take such a gigantic risk? Reckon there are others out there that are sweating heavily?

Regards!

11-21-2015, 11:09 AM   #152
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Reckon there are others out there that are sweating heavily?
I would guess yes.
11-21-2015, 11:14 AM   #153
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
I would guess yes.
There is probably a line on it in Vegas......and I bet the odds are good that you are right!

Regards!
11-21-2015, 12:40 PM   #154
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Looks like it just got measurably worse.....
https://www.yahoo.com/autos/s/vw-emissions-issue-extends-additional-191432155.html

I don't know the numbers, but at some point VW may not be able to weather the storm? Anyone know how deep their pockets are?

I still can't believe this happened. How could they take such a gigantic risk? Reckon there are others out there that are sweating heavily?

Regards!
My impression is that VW is the German version of "too big to fail". They were in the running for biggest car maker worldwide. The European Union is even relying on VW corporate bonds as part of their "quantitative easing" program. I think it's like GM or Chrysler or Citibank, no one is willing to let them collapse if it's avoidable. The reorganization may be messy.

No one knows what the cost is yet because they haven't decided on a fix. My thought is that VW will choose to spend a lot of money on the fix and offer to buy back some cars too. That will help their reputation and minimize lawsuits. Then they will use the cost of the fix and "too big to fail" as an argument to minimize the government fines. In the US, that should work. They might have trouble in other parts of the world.

Coincidentally or not, VW was going to invest heavily in electric cars, using Audi as a Tesla competitor. You might see VW dropping diesels in favor of electrics. The EU might crack down on testing and chase everyone out of diesels too.

11-26-2015, 02:46 PM   #155
Veteran Member

Renault got caught too. And I believe Opel before that.

Of course that's not big news anymore... VW had the misfortune to be the first to get caught. But there'll be more to come... I guess the only ones who didn't cheat were those who didn't know how to...
11-26-2015, 03:02 PM   #156
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
How could they take such a gigantic risk
If the rewards are high enough...

QuoteQuote:
Banking giant Barclays has been fined £72m for failing to conduct proper checks on very rich clients because it did not want to inconvenience them.
The City regulator said Barclays arranged a deal worth £1.88bn for wealthy clients in 2011 and 2012 which it kept quiet.
It did not conduct the proper checks on clients who should have been considered politically high risk.
BBC news

The bank made a profit of £52 million