Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
11-15-2015, 10:30 AM   #136
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I saw it a lot in furniture manufacturing. Bigger companies wanted more regulations. The smaller companies without a full time environment guy at a disadvantage.

That was one of my main industries. Dilute other and fiberglass boats.

11-15-2015, 10:45 AM   #137
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
and lets go on and produce all these luxury vehicles and huge trucks that waddle down the road with single occupancy and no-loads -
Looks can be deceiving. I suppose you'd frown if you saw me "waddling" down the road, in a large suburban, single occupancy, and no loads; not knowing that I'm carrying 100-gallons of water! Not many vehicles can carry a 100-gal water tank in them!
11-15-2015, 12:47 PM   #138
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
As I remember the article, the companies were paying 10% or less of the amount of back taxes owed, and NO penalties because the negotiated settlement included no admission of wrongdoing.
I'd be willing to bet that the writer of the article got a few facts wrong. Not that reporters ever make mistakes, but in the few times they approached me (in my working life), I always refused to talk or used the standard "No comment", just for that reason. The only time I ever spoke to one was at my bosses' request - and that was a Japanese TV reporter, so I guess they could have dubbed in anything they wanted to!
11-15-2015, 01:13 PM   #139
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
I'd be willing to bet that the writer of the article got a few facts wrong. Not that reporters ever make mistakes, but in the few times they approached me (in my working life), I always refused to talk or used the standard "No comment", just for that reason. The only time I ever spoke to one was at my bosses' request - and that was a Japanese TV reporter, so I guess they could have dubbed in anything they wanted to!
My impression was that the article was based on information that was public record. Not sure about that. I doubt very much that the companies would release such information freely to a reporter,

11-15-2015, 03:26 PM   #140
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
Methane production of cows varies depending on their diet. IIRC the stuff they are getting fed these days isn't suitable for cows, so they produce lots of methane. If cows were allowed to eat grass, as nature intended, they'd be much more harmless to the environment.

I don't want to stop eating meat, but less meat, sure can do that.
In western Canada a lot of Bison are raised on natural prairie grass. They graze on the range. Many ranchers prefer Bison (buffalo) as they be allowed to wander on large ranch ranges and once they get past the calf stage are less at risk then cattle from predators. Predators out here, can include bear, wolf, cougars, etc. Bison can also weather severe prairie blizzards, extreme cold and heavy snow conditions much better then cattle.

As far as methane production goes...Bison produce lot's of it....don't ask me how I know.
11-15-2015, 04:44 PM   #141
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think buffalo meat is regarded as a bit leaner and therefore healthier than beef from feedlot animals, however, sometimes anything new/different/alternative is thought of or touted to be superior.

Last edited by WPRESTO; 11-15-2015 at 06:47 PM.
11-15-2015, 05:20 PM   #142
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ostrich. Tastes like steak no fat.

11-16-2015, 04:30 AM   #143
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
I think buffalo meat is regarded as a bit leaner and therefore healthier than beef from feedlot animals, however, sometimes anything new/different/alternative is thought of or touted to be superior.
Bison is a lot leaner than beef, to the point it requires a different skill set to cook it properly. That's not to say it's not good, because it is very good, and as you pointed out, better for you due the reduced fat. I have to say though, the best meat I've ever had was Beeffalo - cross of beef (Angus in this case) and buffalo. Reduced fat but not as much as buffalo, and excellent taste. A friend raised them for a short period of time.
11-17-2015, 07:24 AM   #144
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've just skimmed through the posts and I feel something is missing from the conversation
VW is not the only diesel engine maker having issues with emissions Every engine maker including those who make engines for trucks, buses and heavy equipment has the same problem, that is how a Diesel engine works.
The Diesel Engine depends on compression to generate the heat required for combustion and without enough heat in the cylinders it is impossible to get complete or perfect combustion especially when the engine is idling or operating low horsepower output.
The only way the diesel engine can generate enough heat in the cylinders for complete combustion is to maintain maximum the load on the engine, operate the engine with the coolant as hot as possible and keep the engine's fuel system in optimum condition. Running the engine at maximum power fuel economy suffers so car makers have gone from 3 or 4 speed transmissions to 5, 6 and even 7 speed transmissions to reduce the engine load and improve fuel economy. Engine makers have also gone to turbocharging to increase power output but the turbocharger only improves combustion at high loads such as driving the Autobahn at 200 Kmph is totally ineffective city driving.
So the only way to improve the performance on a diesel is to run around town in 1st or 2nd gear with low HP Engine
11-17-2015, 08:08 AM   #145
Forum Member

Sales Hurting Now...

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
The average shareholder is a teacher, policeman, or other blue collar worker who's 401K happens to own VW stock.

If VW goes down hard then tens of thousands of innocent people who work for the company or work for the 3rd party parts suppliers go down hard.

Given that VW employs over 190,000 people globally it a safe bet that well under .01% of the employees of VW were involved in the criminal act. Those people need to go to jail, but the other 189,000 people don't really deserve to go "down hard". You guys are being absurd.

VW will pay hundreds of millions of dollars to government agencies who will be happy to have the money for doing nothing. The people harmed by the fraud won't get squat, and thousands of VW employees who did nothing wrong will lose their jobs. 3 or 4 people will go to jail. That is how these things play out.
Yes, I see that happening right now. VW dealerships cannot sell VW diesel cars to the public and this is hurting local dealerships. Sales people are losing out on sales and this trickles down to other areas where people are employed. If dealerships cannot make money, then employees get laid off because of no fault of their own.
11-17-2015, 09:01 AM   #146
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NS_Sailor Quote
I've just skimmed through the posts and I feel something is missing from the conversation
VW is not the only diesel engine maker having issues with emissions Every engine maker including those who make engines for trucks, buses and heavy equipment has the same problem, that is how a Diesel engine works.
The Diesel Engine depends on compression to generate the heat required for combustion and without enough heat in the cylinders it is impossible to get complete or perfect combustion especially when the engine is idling or operating low horsepower output.
The only way the diesel engine can generate enough heat in the cylinders for complete combustion is to maintain maximum the load on the engine, operate the engine with the coolant as hot as possible and keep the engine's fuel system in optimum condition. Running the engine at maximum power fuel economy suffers so car makers have gone from 3 or 4 speed transmissions to 5, 6 and even 7 speed transmissions to reduce the engine load and improve fuel economy. Engine makers have also gone to turbocharging to increase power output but the turbocharger only improves combustion at high loads such as driving the Autobahn at 200 Kmph is totally ineffective city driving.
So the only way to improve the performance on a diesel is to run around town in 1st or 2nd gear with low HP Engine
Question: How about sticking a small diesel generator into a hybrid? Like one where the diesel engine is only used to generate electricity, and never driving the wheels? That way any excess power produced by the engine can be used to charge the batteries. It would make for some odd noises, but it could keep emissions even lower and save fuel. Propulsion would come only from the electric motors, the generator will create power when it is needed, i.e. driving fast or the battery is about to die. The BMW i3 for example is an electric car that, as an option, has a small petrol engine that generates power if necessary. Such a car wouldn't have range anxiety. Granted diesel engines are a bit heavy and big, but it may make sense for bigger cars, or maybe teeny tiny diesel engines for smaller cars...

The turbocharger does help in city driving, it gives you some nice off the line performance, and since the turbo kicks in at pretty low revs, say 1500 or so, you do get to use it plenty. IIRC though at least with turbocharged petrol engines you need to keep the engine below those revs for good fuel consumption, once the turbo "kicks in" FC goes through the roof.
11-17-2015, 12:53 PM   #147
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
Question: How about sticking a small diesel generator into a hybrid? Like one where the diesel engine is only used to generate electricity, and never driving the wheels? That way any excess power produced by the engine can be used to charge the batteries. It would make for some odd noises, but it could keep emissions even lower and save fuel. Propulsion would come only from the electric motors, the generator will create power when it is needed, i.e. driving fast or the battery is about to die. The BMW i3 for example is an electric car that, as an option, has a small petrol engine that generates power if necessary. Such a car wouldn't have range anxiety. Granted diesel engines are a bit heavy and big, but it may make sense for bigger cars, or maybe teeny tiny diesel engines for smaller cars...

The turbocharger does help in city driving, it gives you some nice off the line performance, and since the turbo kicks in at pretty low revs, say 1500 or so, you do get to use it plenty. IIRC though at least with turbocharged petrol engines you need to keep the engine below those revs for good fuel consumption, once the turbo "kicks in" FC goes through the roof.
A diesel hybrid would definitely be a better option and the charging system will help to keep the engine load high enough to achieve more complete combustion.

Unlike a gas engine with variable valve and or ignition timing to assist in turbocharger response there is a distinct lag in turbocharger response on a diesel engine. This lag is caused by the fuel management system limiting the amount of fuel being injected during fast or sudden load changes so to prevent clouds of black smoke coming out the exhaust.
Again unlike a gas engine where the gas is in a near vaporous state when it enters the cylinders, diesel fuel is injected directly into the cylinder as fine spray at very high pressures 250-300 bar. The heat of compression and residual heat in the cylinder then vaporizes and ignites the fuel

Last edited by NS_Sailor; 11-17-2015 at 01:12 PM.
11-17-2015, 10:52 PM   #148
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
Looks can be deceiving. I suppose you'd frown if you saw me "waddling" down the road, in a large suburban, single occupancy, and no loads; not knowing that I'm carrying 100-gallons of water! Not many vehicles can carry a 100-gal water tank in them!
I don't mean to criticize any individual. I'm saying that as a nation, the USA is not acting as an intelligent sustainable culture. Personally, i've gone from a max 20 mpg 4000lb vehicle to a max 50mpg 33000 lb vehicle with no effect on my quality/enjoyment of life. If anything, my replacement vehicle is far easier to park and drive than my previous vehicle. You obviously need your prevent vehicle to transport water, but i don't and wasted resources for many years. There are probably many out there like me. But my country doesn't seem to plan for the future. We lurch from crisis to crisis instead My brother returned from a trip to Seattle last week and reported that he saw hundreds of homeless living underneath freeway bridges and ramps in Seattle. It wasn't like that 10 years ago. But since corporations have made it their goal to ship many jobs overseas, more and more people are non equipped for any of the jobs available. Also known as homeless. Corporations don't care about people, they only care about profits. Ship jobs to whichever country can provide the cheapest labor. Who cares for the people who are left behind. Normally our country's government would care. But they can't even agree on a budget anymore to keep basic government functions running.
11-18-2015, 03:19 AM   #149
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NS_Sailor Quote
I believe that is what caused larger diesel vehicles to incorporate a soot trap and process to burn that soot (called regeneration). It also requires the use of a urea formula called DEF (Diesel Exhaust Fluid). I don't know if the VW engines had this system or not.
11-18-2015, 11:09 PM   #150
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by grcolts Quote
Yes, I see that happening right now. VW dealerships cannot sell VW diesel cars to the public and this is hurting local dealerships. Sales people are losing out on sales and this trickles down to other areas where people are employed. If dealerships cannot make money, then employees get laid off because of no fault of their own.
This report says that VW sales in October only increased by 1% which is considered to be a poor performance for them. But i suspect they will ride it out - i hope so

.http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2015/10/01/volkswagen-sales-emissio...yota/73135450/

I have the Jetta Sportwagon 2 ltr diesel. I get 50mpg with it and the torque never quits, The freeway in SW Washington is 70mph and the car easily handles that with torque to spare.