Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-23-2008, 12:18 PM   #1
Veteran Member

DP1 lens mount hack job, possible?

take a DP1 and some clandestine worksmanship to install a (for arguments sake) a K-Mount

use the thing in M mode and hope it meters more or less correctly.

yay? nay?

leica's are too expensive.

06-23-2008, 12:31 PM   #2

I think there would be a couple of problems. It's a small sensor (basically 4/3rds), so you would have to do it with a pretty wide lens. Second, you would have to get the focal plane in the right spot ( I have no idea how easy/hard that would be). Third, you would have to still deal with the menu system on the DP1.
06-23-2008, 04:17 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
There's been some talk about the possibility of doing that in the Sigma section of DPReview.
And for that mater 2 people had their apart around 2 weeks ago (one fell off a car at speed and broke, and the other one getting cleaned)
However the engineers on that board haven't gotten to it yet.
If they think that it's possible, or even just worth it someone there will tackle the job.

And Romoman, it's sensor is almost the same size as those in a Pentax DSLR.
The Sigma DP1 is the first pocket sized camera with a full scale cameras sensor in it.

I've used the first one to make it into Canada and it was an absolute pleasure to work with.
If I had the coin I'd buy one today.
06-23-2008, 04:33 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
There's been some talk about the possibility of doing that in the Sigma section of DPReview.
And for that mater 2 people had their apart around 2 weeks ago (one fell off a car at speed and broke, and the other one getting cleaned)
However the engineers on that board haven't gotten to it yet.
If they think that it's possible, or even just worth it someone there will tackle the job.

The Sigma DP1 is the first pocket sized camera with a full scale cameras sensor in it.

I've used the first one to make it into Canada and it was an absolute pleasure to work with.
If I had the coin I'd buy one today.
what kills me the most is why didnt the sigma engineers allow for mutli lens support, seems like the next logical step.

06-23-2008, 04:49 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Just because they wanted a full camera to be able to fit in your pocket. There's no way that it could with detachable lenses.

I don't know if you've tried one yet, but in the right hands the image quality will blow away most full sized DSLR's unless they're using some very expensive glass.

I just looked and found my first pic's with one.
Here's a pano, sorry I forget how many images it has stitched together.

A flower

ice fishermen.

Here's a link to the full sized photo.

With a little more experience with it I'd be able to get better results

The DP1 recently had a firmware update giving it ISO-50, so the IQ would be even better now
06-23-2008, 05:00 PM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote

The sensor is basically a 4/3rds sensor:

Sigma DP1
Image Sensor Size 20.7×13.8mm (0.8 inch×0.5 inch)

Pentax
Sensor size 23.5 x 15.7 mm

Olympus 4/3rds
Sensor size 4/3 " (18.00 x 13.50 mm)

As you can see, it's bigger than a compact camera, but not full APS-C size. If you check out the review at dpreview, they have a good graphic of the actual sizes compared.
06-23-2008, 05:16 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I actually have the same sensor in my Sigma SD14, and I can tell you that although it is smaller than your Pentax sensor it isn't much smaller. It's a crop factor of 1.7, vs 1.5.

I don't have the time at the moment to slip on the same lens onto both my cameras and take a similar photo, but the difference in real terms size is marginal. Most people would never notice unless they're side by side.