Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12 Likes Search this Thread
10-21-2015, 10:12 AM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just let people pass. If they can clear me by a car length, go for it. Most of the time it doesn't matter to me if they are breaking traffic laws. If that driver is an idiot unsafe maniac, I don't want him on my bumper, getting angrier. I want him far away from me. In this case, the motorcycle was going to be pretty far ahead in less than a minute. He's gone, who cares, maybe laugh later if he gets pulled over. (In this case an oncoming car would be a problem, because then three drivers have to react properly to avoid a bad accident.)

10-21-2015, 10:33 AM - 1 Like   #32

Besides the obvious, the thing about the video that struck me most was that the guy with the helmet cam attached barely stopped to look at the women laying wounded, and never called 911. He was more concerned with asking the driver what he was doing. And the driver that got hit, while clearly hurt, managed to get up, but also didn't rush over to his girlfriend laying there with possible serious injuries. If I was that girl I'd be just as pissed at my boyfriend for riding like an while I'm on the back.
10-21-2015, 10:44 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Bunch Quote
I'd be just as pissed at my boyfriend for riding like an while I'm on the back.
Although his riding was illegal, on a powerful bike on those roads it doesn't seem that dangerous
10-21-2015, 11:06 AM   #34
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Bunch Quote
Besides the obvious, the thing about the video that struck me most was that the guy with the helmet cam attached barely stopped to look at the women laying wounded, and never called 911.
The first he did, he asked the girl if she's ok, she responded. He left her with another guy (to take care of the situation) and rushed to document everything. I think he did just right.

10-21-2015, 11:19 AM - 1 Like   #35
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

I see road games played almost daily. Can't do much about it, but try to avoid the idiots and keep a safe distance...it's not always possible, but you can be aware and try to deescalate if one of the crazies comes at you.

Maybe the biker learned a lesson on passing in a very punishing way? The driver will learn a lesson, no doubt about it. His insurance is going to go through the roof, and that's only the least of his problems.

Regards!
10-21-2015, 12:20 PM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
… The driver will learn a lesson, no doubt about it. His insurance is going to go through the roof, and that's only the least of his problems.
The driver will be given a lesson, but it remains to be seen whether or not he learns it. The sort of belligerence and lack of empathy that's been reported smacks of a large degree of self-righteousness, and suggests a conviction may simply add to his rage against the rest of the world. For the sake of anyone around him, I hope that's not the case.
10-21-2015, 01:08 PM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
I just let people pass. If they can clear me by a car length, go for it. Most of the time it doesn't matter to me if they are breaking traffic laws. If that driver is an idiot unsafe maniac, I don't want him on my bumper, getting angrier. I want him far away from me. In this case, the motorcycle was going to be pretty far ahead in less than a minute. He's gone, who cares, maybe laugh later if he gets pulled over. (In this case an oncoming car would be a problem, because then three drivers have to react properly to avoid a bad accident.)
I let off the gas and allow them to get around.
If another vehicle appears from the opposite direction, it isn't good news for either of us.

Regarding passing in no passing zones, a guy I knew from high school days was doing that on his motorcycle. Passing on a hill. Met a car over the crest of the hill. Both he and the driver of the car were killed instantly.

Passing in a no passing zone is a deadly game. But no one should make it worse by taking the law into their own hands and trying to knock a guy off the road.

That said... and this goes way, way back...
but I used to know a old sheriff in a rural county who hated bikers. Not regular motorcycle riders, but bikers on Harleys, wearing their leathers and flying gang affiliations. Seems he was in the service in California during WWII. At some point after the war, there was a bar fight. He and several soldier buddies were severely beaten up by Hells Angels. He never forgot it.

Decades later, as sheriff, if he saw a biker on the road in his county, he'd knock them right off the road with the patrol car. No warning. Boom. Into the ditch. If they were conscious, he'd yell at them to stay the hell out of his county or they'd never see tomorrow.

Other than that, he was a hell of a nice guy. Carried a white paper sack of those hard butterscotch candies in the patrol car.
"Have a butterscotch?"

10-21-2015, 04:13 PM   #38
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
I just let people pass. If they can clear me by a car length, go for it. Most of the time it doesn't matter to me if they are breaking traffic laws. If that driver is an idiot unsafe maniac, I don't want him on my bumper, getting angrier. I want him far away from me.

Yes.. I just don't want him clipping the front of my car, having to lay on the brakes and get rear ended by the jackwagon driver riding too close behind me, or being the oncoming traffic.

Driving today is not really enjoyable on most roads due to the impatience and self-oriented mentality.
10-21-2015, 06:40 PM   #39
Pentaxian

Cars have bumpers - Bikers have bones!
Yeah, the guys on bikes were riding fast and passed on a double line. So that deserves a death sentence by some grumpy old man who didn't like it? What that guy did was just as vicious as firing a shotgun at them and it's only fitting that he should be charged with aggravated assault. As a biker, I'm sick and tired of hearing that everything is our fault just because we are vulnerable. Here in NY, we are fighting for Credo's Law which will make it a mandatory felony charge for any motorist that kills a motorcyclist, bicyclist, pedestrian, handicapped/wheelchair person, jogger while committing a ticket able offense. While it won't guarantee an end to fatal crashes, it will force prosecutors to charge drivers and that in itself will be a wake up call.
10-21-2015, 07:31 PM   #40
Pentaxian

I get passed by pickup trucks and welding trucks driving like this biker was. The car crossed over the solid double lines, also bikes have a greater ability to speed up to get out of the way. These days my bikes are pedal powered but the driver was the one totally in the wrong here. The bike did nothing to cause the collision anymore than getting t boned by someone not stopping for a stop sign is also partly your fault for being on the road.

Driving with undue care and attention as a minimum, dangerous driving would be my take on it.