Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: What's your favourite mobile OS?
Android 1642.11%
IOS 1744.74%
Windwos 12.63%
Blackberry 25.26%
Other (FIrefox, Ubuntu, Tizen, etc.) 25.26%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-29-2015, 09:26 AM   #1
Veteran Member

What's your favourite mobile OS?

What's your favourite mobile OS?
Android
IOS
Windows
Blackberry
Other (FIrefox, Ubuntu, Tizen, etc.)

10-29-2015, 09:48 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I would be willing to bet if you polled the Canikon base it would be IOS. I belong to two clubs and they are Apple, Apple, Apple almost entirely.

I am amazed to see how many users are IOS. I went the other direction. Spent many years in the Printing Business where Apple rules. I inherited a Windows Computer and after using it for awhile the Macs went into the closet never to be seen again. I guess my first phone was Android just because of previous experiences with Apple and I find nothing wrong with Android. Another point is Apple products are just way to expensive.

Last edited by Rimfiredude; 10-31-2015 at 02:06 PM.
10-29-2015, 10:35 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I've not found one I really care for. I don't care for the windows phones at all, and I don't care for apple either. I'm also not a fan of everything android wanting tons of information that isn't relevant to what the apps do, or requiring excessive permissions. Then again, I'd be just fine with a basic candybar phone like my t-mobile prepaid (ohio cell). Just a shame I can't get a signal out here with them, so I had to pick up a tracfone as well (hate hate hate hate tracfone).
10-29-2015, 10:38 AM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Android - I have the S6, which is beautiful. Samsung have worked hard to shed their plasticky image.

The Windoze stuff is interesting, too, though.

10-29-2015, 12:47 PM   #5
Veteran Member

iOS,
Why? honestly, it just works. I've never needed it to do anything that it can't. You'd think, being a computer geek (i program for a living) that i'd be all over android. But, for me, iOS works just fine. I don't hate android, or BB, or windows. I just prefer my iPhone.
10-29-2015, 02:30 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Ubuntu....a minnow in the mobile stream but I like their long standing drive towards convergence.
10-29-2015, 04:44 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by link81 Quote
iOS,
Why? honestly, it just works. I've never needed it to do anything that it can't. You'd think, being a computer geek (i program for a living) that i'd be all over android. But, for me, iOS works just fine. I don't hate android, or BB, or windows. I just prefer my iPhone.
I'm pretty much of the same opinion. It works and it works very well. I started with Android and the Motorola Droid 2. I can't say much good about the experience. I needed foot surgery a couple of years ago and knowing I was going to be laid up for a couple of months, I bought an iPad. My main use was for media consumption but it become much more and I use it rather than a laptop for travel. So when my Droid died a few months later, I bought an iPhone 5s. Almost 2 years of using it and I have no plans of switching to anything else. I kind of like the smaller size of the 5s so I'm not in any hurry to upgrade to one of the newer, larger screen iPhones.

I have no experience on any of the other options such as Windows or Ubuntu (on phones). I've never used a Blackberry so no comment there either.

10-29-2015, 05:21 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bobD Quote
Ubuntu....a minnow in the mobile stream but I like their long standing drive towards convergence.
I like the look of Ubuntu Phone (never used it ... yet) as I use Linux on my computer daily.
I wish they succeeded in there Phone kickstarter as the phone looked nice.
11-08-2015, 06:19 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Android - I have the S6, which is beautiful. Samsung have worked hard to shed their plasticky image.

The Windoze stuff is interesting, too, though.
Yeah, but no expandable memory, no replaceable battery, ...

I have a Xiaomi which I do like a lot, but the internal memory (16 GB) isn't enough, and not having a microSD slot greatly limits the usefulness of the device. The battery is also worn out (it was big, now it is a bit pathetic). Of course I can't just swap out the battery.

The S6 also suffers from being easy to break once dropped. A friend has a S6, but only because he just assumed Samsung would be smart and sensible. He is disappointed.

Windows Phone is certainly interesting... especially the ability to turn it into a full PC with a little dock. I like their interface, too, it is modern and easy to use.

iOS I never really cared for... too limited.

I prefer stock Android, closely followed by MIUI (Xiaomi's custom Android... the only other modified Android version that I think is decent is ASUS', everything else I thought made Android worse).
11-08-2015, 11:34 PM   #10
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
Yeah, but no expandable memory, no replaceable battery, ...

I have a Xiaomi which I do like a lot, but the internal memory (16 GB) isn't enough, and not having a microSD slot greatly limits the usefulness of the device. The battery is also worn out (it was big, now it is a bit pathetic). Of course I can't just swap out the battery.

The S6 also suffers from being easy to break once dropped. A friend has a S6, but only because he just assumed Samsung would be smart and sensible. He is disappointed.

Windows Phone is certainly interesting... especially the ability to turn it into a full PC with a little dock. I like their interface, too, it is modern and easy to use.

iOS I never really cared for... too limited.

I prefer stock Android, closely followed by MIUI (Xiaomi's custom Android... the only other modified Android version that I think is decent is ASUS', everything else I thought made Android worse).
THIS! The exact reason I reluctantly(to begin with) got the Samsung Galaxy Note Edge. Figuring it would quite likely be Samsung's last removable battery/expandable memory phone. Unfortunately I've become too accustomed to samsung phone's physical home, back button and app list button which has turned me off other phone brands the use the LCD screen for all that. At first when I got the phone, I found it way too big for my liking. After an overseas trip using flat out for google maps, it basically negated the need to carry around a 7" tablet because the screen was big enough and now I love the phone to bits.
11-09-2015, 02:29 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I don't know if it will be the last Samsung with those things... they clearly did it because sales dropped, and they try to stop that. That's why they moved towards a more premium feel. But sales for the S6 family ain't good either, so... who knows. Maybe they find out that people did like the microSD slot and replaceable battery.

Also I would rather have a phone that feels cheap but lasts than a phone that feels expensive but is easily damaged.
11-09-2015, 05:17 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Again, I feel I can't vote. At the present time, I use Android. I've had brief encounters with Apple and while people rave about it, there is some inflexibility to it, but again my experience was very brief. I used Windows mobile apps on PDAs and liked them, but have no experience with them on phones. Pretty much the same for the rest: no experience with them at all.

I have found one issue with Android, interconnectivity with my desktop is hit and miss, depending on the version and build of the OS. Some versions interfaced seamlessly, allowing transferring of files without a hitch. Some required a degree in software management to get them to interface and some, like my current version is mixture of the two. For example: I can pull up any picture file from the phone into PS, but I can't save it back to the phone. Same thing applies to Word and Excel files, I can open them into their respective desktop programs, but can't save them back to the phone. The really weird one is moving files: the phone won't let it happen. I can open them up in a desktop application, but direct movement via Windows Explorer is a fail. There are workarounds for all these issues, but they are all problems that shouldn't exist in the first place, and again, are Android version specific.
11-11-2015, 06:55 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Blackberry Passport
11-12-2015, 06:45 PM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by slip Quote
Blackberry Passport
You have our sympathies, Slip! ☺
11-12-2015, 07:09 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I don't have a mobile device yet but I'm going to get an iPhone soon. Why Apple? Because my wife and daughter have iPhones--they're gonna be my Help Desk.