Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-07-2015, 02:39 PM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I'm a big fan of the 409 in all of it's iterations. There was a guy in my burg that also had a '63 Impala convert with the 340 hp/409 and the powerglide. This W series, big block engine was known as a real torque monster. The PG was an interesting transmissions. Two speeds, but with a very good kickdown and very rugged. In fact modified powerglides are still used behind powerful drag racing engines to this day.

I have a pair of 409 valve covers hanging in my garage. They're Canadian edition...no Chevrolet bowtie stamped in the covers. This was because Canadian edtion Pontiacs, used Chevy engines and transmissions for many years.

My 409 valve covers are actually from a truck...a heavy duty '64-65 C80 I believe.

I bet your '63 Impala 4-0-9 is one of the cars you wish you still had. Early on in my car owning history I had a '62 Volvo PV 544s and a '67 Camaro coupe RS 327, 4 speed Muncie....both would of been nice in my garage...still.
My wife and I pulled into a gas station in Sault St. Marie MI, one of two in town, while we were there to see my sister's family. Gas stations still pumped gas for you back then, and the attendant, a kid probably 17, asked if I wanted him to check the oil. I told him no, it was good. He got a disappointed look on his face and finally said "Can I look at your engine? I've never seen a 409." I laughed and said sure.

There are two cars from my past I would like to have back in show room condition. The 64 Impala of course, which was bright red with a white convertible top and white interior, and a 1963 Pontiac GP that came with the 421HO option and 4 speed manual. It was red with black interior and had the infamous 8 lug aluminum wheel mounts with steel rims. It also required two batteries to start due to the high compression. The second battery was mounted in the trunk.

11-07-2015, 02:42 PM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Anyone ever own one of these?

Karmann Ghia
Name:  karma ghia.jpg
Views: 268
Size:  34.9 KB

It is another one of those cars I always wanted but never owned. It just looks neat to me. I can imagine it with some fine leather interior and some wire spoke wheels and wider tires.
Don't know how durable they are or how dependable, maybe someone here has owned one?

Regards!

My little Toy Car Audi TT is about the same size, and that appeals to me, but the retro style of the old KGhai really hits my hot button. I doubt the performance would be anywhere close to the TT?

Last edited by Rupert; 11-07-2015 at 02:47 PM.
11-07-2015, 02:54 PM   #33
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote

Karmann Ghia
Attachment 287771

It is another one of those cars I always wanted but never owned. It just looks neat to me. I can imagine it with some fine leather interior and some wire spoke wheels and wider tires.
Don't know how durable they are or how dependable, maybe someone here has owned one?

Regards!

My little Toy Car Audi TT is about the same size, and that appeals to me, but the retro style of the old KGhai really hits my hot button. I doubt the performance would be anywhere close to the TT?
My uncle had a early '60's VW Karmann Ghia. He was an engineer who used the Karman Ghia as a commuter. He liked it.
11-07-2015, 03:10 PM   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My uncle had a early '60's VW Karmann Ghia. He was an engineer who used the Karman Ghia as a commuter. He liked it.
Did you ever ride in it or drive it?

Regards!

11-07-2015, 03:38 PM   #35
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Did you ever ride in it or drive it?

Regards!
No, he was about 1500 miles away. Never been in a Karmann Ghia. Always wanted one, thought they were sharp looking, a timeless design that never grows old ...to this day...and I think they were introduced in the mid '50's.
11-07-2015, 03:45 PM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
The engine wasn't original then, because it wasn't released until 1965. In 63, Chevrolet gave you the choice of a 230 ci inline 6, 283ci, 327ci (2 versions) and 409ci (3 versions).
Then my memory is bad. It must have had one of the 327's because there was a badge. As large cars go this one was pretty tarted up - badges, special wheelcovers, trim pieces.

45 years is a long time.
11-07-2015, 04:14 PM   #37
Pentaxian

Karmann Ghia

My brother who is 6' 4" tall surprisingly fit in one of these. He used one for his very long
daily commute when working in construction as a steamfitter in Louisiana in the late 1970's.

One night as he rounded a bend at speed a trailer without lights was stopped ahead.
He couldn't stop in time, swerved and somehow managed to roll it over (in a ditch?).
Both front and rear windshields popped out in one piece.
Fortunately he was unhurt, too.

Chris
11-07-2015, 04:17 PM   #38
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Always wanted one, thought they were sharp looking, a timeless design that never grows old ...to this day...and I think they were introduced in the mid '50's.
Yes, sharp and timeless design that never grows old. I'd love to see a new model with all the modern improvements and the same basic body design. Disc brakes...VW turbo engine.....all the things on my little TT.

Regards!

11-07-2015, 04:52 PM   #39
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A coworker had one. She was kind enough to give me a ride home couple times before I got my license.
11-07-2015, 05:12 PM   #40
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My first car, before getting a license was a `65 type 1 "beetle" with a 1200cc motor.
After that I had an Fiat 850 Special and then a `67? type 3 1500cc with dual carbs.
The hot air coming out the rear passenger floor ducts would (did) melt a plastic bag
11-07-2015, 05:23 PM - 3 Likes   #41
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
The hot air coming ........... would (did) melt a plastic bag
That happens a lot in the News and Rumors and the FF forums.
11-07-2015, 05:32 PM   #42
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
That happens a lot in the News and Rumors and the FF forums.
That right there just made me smile
11-07-2015, 09:17 PM   #43
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Then my memory is bad. It must have had one of the 327's because there was a badge. As large cars go this one was pretty tarted up - badges, special wheelcovers, trim pieces.

45 years is a long time.
In 1963 models, the Chevy badges that indicated different engine size, were on the side of the front fenders, as follows:

- simple V chevron= 283 V8
-simple V chevron with flags= 327 V8
- simple chevron V with flags and a 409 numerals atop= 409 V8

As Tom previously mentioned the 396 didn't come into production cars till the 1965 model year.

The Chevy 'Rat ' motor (396 initially) appeared late in the 1965 Chevy production year...around Feb., 1965 if memory serves me correct. It was the 396 V8.

You maybe thinking about the 1963 Impala NASCAR race cars that appeared at the '63 Daytona 500 and qualified significantly faster than other makes. The engine they used, was termed the Mystery Motor and was the forerunner of the 366 (truck only)/396/427/454 and 8.1 liter Chevy big block, known colloquially as the Rat. This engine took over from the older W series (called that because of the shape of the heads and valve covers) 348, 409 V8.

The Rat did run in the '63 Daytona race, but was not put into production till early 1965.

Les
11-07-2015, 10:30 PM   #44
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
My grandfather, in 1961 or 62 bought a new Mercury Comet (same car, different nameplates). There was a restored Falcon in light blue for sale here a couple of months ago.
My grandfather and great-uncle both had 1961 Comets. My grandfather traded his for a 1971 Buick Skylark - every time I see one of those rare GSX Skylark, I think of my grandfather, not a powerful fast car. My great-uncle kept his Comet until someone hit him in 1976 and it was totaled. He unfortunately bought a new 1976 Comet, but drove that for another 16 years, and his wife drove it for another decade.

On cars that should have been handed down. this is my brother's story about the Mustang that my dad won and he didn't quite inherit. I suppose I missed out too but I was 12 and driving seemed a long way off. I do remember my parents having to pay sales tax on the car and being annoyed.

Archive: A Mustang story - Hartford Courant
11-07-2015, 10:44 PM   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
My first car, before getting a license was a `65 type 1 "beetle" with a 1200cc motor.
After that I had an Fiat 850 Special and then a `67? type 3 1500cc with dual carbs.
The hot air coming out the rear passenger floor ducts would (did) melt a plastic bag
I had a friend who had a 1964 or so, Fiat 850 coupe. Quite a nice thing, except for the heater valve under the dash.
That seized up so I ordered a new one and in the meantime stuffed two 3/8 inch bolts down the water hoses and tightened the hose clamps.
So next Saturday we headed up to Whalhalla for lunch. The first steep hill, I had that tiny 850 cc in third then double declutching back to second,
etc, etc, great fun.
Next a 3/8 bolt came flying into the back seat followed by a gush of rusty hot water glycol etc all over the young lady in the passenger seat.
As I recall, she was quite placid about it; we had to turn around, go home and put the clothes in the garbage can,
to continue the trip in my old Ford Falcon on the following weekend.