Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-10-2007, 03:45 PM   #16
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
If as you say you are looking into one being built from a local you can add any thing you want when you spec it out. A couple of days ago my neighbor and I were talking about an ultimate system. running an AMD 64 Athlon FX with Quad piping and 8gb of RAM with the best ATI graphics and sound cards on the market with 1TB of hard drive. I priced it out with all the above plus the box and fans unless you want a liquid cooled system and all the small stuff. Total price for the system $3800.00 with a 19" CRT.
and No vista. Tell me what you want and I'll see what price you can get it for being built.

Last edited by Photo Tramp; 02-10-2007 at 03:54 PM.
02-10-2007, 03:52 PM   #17
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Duh_Vinci Quote
Does AMD have a similar version of processor?

Regards,
D
Look in AMD Processors and your answer will be they have the next generation processor the AMD 64 Athlon FX Talk about a Processor To beat. or take a look at this. System Details

Last edited by Photo Tramp; 02-10-2007 at 04:06 PM.
02-10-2007, 04:55 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
David,

Sorry for stupid question (terminology on AMD site and the amount of detail kills me) - is AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 same as Intel's Core 2 Duo or same as Intel's Dual Core?

Many thanks for your time and education!

Regards,
D
02-10-2007, 05:23 PM   #19
Inactive Account

Here's the proof and I can say this the AMD 64 Athlon fx is the hottest CPU on the market.Competitive Comparison. Intel's core 2 duo comes close but no where near the performance I have seen from the AMD 64 Athlon fx You have to understand you will never see the real performance diffrence with the naked eye but when it comes to processing speed this Processor is the very top of the line. And in order to make it really fly add about 8-16gb of RAM if your mother board will take it and then the difference will be from the time you turn the computer on until the post is done and windows (or your op system) opens for commands and measure it in Nano seconds.

Last edited by Photo Tramp; 02-10-2007 at 05:32 PM.
02-10-2007, 05:46 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
David,

Huge thanks for the education, really! Last time I built the desk top at home, it was back in the days when 16 meg or RAM was the most you can get! So that tells you how long has it been.

FX - beyond impressive, but unfortunately is also beyond my price range! So I have to consider 64 x2...

Just to confirm that I understand it correctly, Athlon™ 64 X2 5200 will perform equally or better than Core 2 Duo (same principle "leasing" memory)?

If so, I think that Acer E380 system you pointed out is a winner for me (and no Vista)

Regards,
D

Last edited by Duh_Vinci; 02-10-2007 at 06:01 PM.
02-10-2007, 06:27 PM   #21
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Duh_Vinci Quote
David,

Huge thanks for the education, really! Last time I built the desk top at home, it was back in the days when 16 meg or RAM was the most you can get! So that tells you how long has it been.

FX - beyond impressive, but unfortunately is also beyond my price range! So I have to consider 64 x2...

Just to confirm that I understand it correctly, Athlon™ 64 X2 5200 will perform equally or better than Core 2 Duo (same principle "leasing" memory)?

If so, I think that Acer E380 system you pointed out is a winner for me (and no Vista)

Regards,
D
I was wondering how long it would take you to see the light. It's not always the best or the fastest, But what we really need and will be the best to use.
the Acer E380 with windows XP Pro would be the very best for your needs. and guess what? Cyberwarehouse has it in stock. and if you talk to the people there they would be happy to sell you the box you want with XP Pro ready to go. And you could have them put in any hard drive you want and probably very little extra charge. Welcome back to the cyberworld.
I guess you could say this is a lot like pixel peeping. Or buying for the name plate. I'm sorry to say Gateway never did a thing for me except to make me ask Why do you want to pay for a name plate and get less then finding an unknown with the very best inside?

Last edited by Photo Tramp; 02-10-2007 at 06:33 PM.
02-10-2007, 06:37 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
David - nice to be brought back to the "real world of basic computing 101" Will be making a phone call on Monday!

Many thanks to every one for the input!!!

Regards,
D

02-11-2007, 07:34 AM   #23
Forum Member

emachine at walmart

well I brought my new system with windows 2005 (media edition) it works for about any thing I would like to do, not much memory and graphics cannot be changed. but a little money to order more memory it could be a big performer, plus, gateway 2000 is the main company. buy the monitor in the size you like, I have always liked a CRT, heavy, but at least you change resolution. a LCD limits you to use only 1 resolution. just choose a model without a monitor. mine has a 17" that works OK, but I would like more memory and a graphics card. but for $498 and do some local upgrades, you could have a good system to work with.
02-11-2007, 08:55 AM   #24
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by EvilPentaxUser Quote
well I brought my new system with windows 2005 (media edition) it works for about any thing I would like to do, not much memory and graphics cannot be changed. but a little money to order more memory it could be a big performer, plus, gateway 2000 is the main company. buy the monitor in the size you like, I have always liked a CRT, heavy, but at least you change resolution. a LCD limits you to use only 1 resolution. just choose a model without a monitor. mine has a 17" that works OK, but I would like more memory and a graphics card. but for $498 and do some local upgrades, you could have a good system to work with.
I would say this would be a good machine for some one who doesn't need any more then the Internet and a few basic programs. The operating system is one very large program and to add some of the programs Such as any of the ADOBE programs or Microsoft Office It would slow the machine to a crawl. E-Machines are not known to come with large Hard drives so storage would be a big problem in a few months and I don't think the machine has more then 512 RAM for the price you quoted.

About two months ago I had a complete system crash and lost the CPU and Main Board granted the system was 3 Years old and had been upgraded to max. So I wanted a new Main board and a CPU faster then the one I had. I priced out the two and wasn't real happy with the answers i was getting back. While I was in the shop (Cyberwarehouse) I found a very basic starter machine . (Compaq presario SR1610NX with AMD sempron 3200+ GHZ Processor it came with an ATI Radon 1100 Graphics card built in and an 80 GB HHD. It had only a basic DVD ROM, and Windows XP Pro (registered version) for $250.00 (the main board and CPU separate would be $275.00) And since it was the last one they had and a DEMO they took $100.00 off the price.

Now from my old machine I had just upgraded to 2gb RAM and a 350gb HHD with windows XP pro (unregistered version) and two DVD R/RW Players, an unused A: drive and a 350gb external HHd. I made a decision right there to buy this little machine. I took it home and opened it up and started tearing my old one apart and replacing and adding everything to the other machine. I even found the new machine had 4 expansion slots for RAM After taking out the 256 Ram this new machine had I replaced it with the 2 one GB sticks I had in the old one and I found I could use the 2 512 sticks I had in my old machine to begin with (I now have 3gb Ram). Last week I went out and bought an AMD Athlon 64 4000+ CPU for $150.00 and also found a CRT 17" monitor for $108.00.

So all in all I have now gotten myself a brand new Computer upgraded to an AMD 64 Athlon 4000+ With 780gb HHD storage a registered version of Windows XP and 3gb of RAM and a new 17" CRT for around $408.00.

Now this doesn't help Duh_ Vinci who only has a laptop and needs a good desk top system (since he can't upgrade) But the Acer system I showed him is ready to go with everything he will need including a top of the line CPU and Main Board and large HHD for les then he wanted to spend on the computer and has more to spend on a good CRT monitor and will give him change from the K 50 he wanted to spend.
07-18-2007, 06:11 PM   #25
Forum Member

Mine had a 160 GB hard drive in it, a 3.3 GHZ processor. upgraded graphics and memory, runs fast now. still lots of space to work wiht. partiction the hd to 3 drives, still lots of room.