Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-08-2007, 05:10 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Need new desktop+monitor, suggestions?

Ok, I've come to realize that my laptop just can't handle image processing effectively. My old monitor is just that - old and lacks the detail.

For anyone familiar with technology, would you recommend something for me?

I'd prefer a packagedeal
20+" flat
Dual core is good to have I guess?
I'd prefer not to order through mail (CC, BB, Costco, etc is what I hoping for)

Stopped by Costco today, they have this package:

GM5407E/GM5407H(Canada) Media Center Desktop

Monitor details:

Gateway® FPD2275W 22" Widescreen High Definition LCD

Any good based on the specs? That is the top of my budget too ($1000+ tax)

Thanks for any advise!

Regards,
D

02-08-2007, 06:58 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Duh_Vinci Quote
Ok, I've come to realize that my laptop just can't handle image processing effectively. My old monitor is just that - old and lacks the detail.

For anyone familiar with technology, would you recommend something for me?

I'd prefer a packagedeal
20+" flat
Dual core is good to have I guess?
I'd prefer not to order through mail (CC, BB, Costco, etc is what I hoping for)

Stopped by Costco today, they have this package:

GM5407E/GM5407H(Canada) Media Center Desktop

Monitor details:

Gateway® FPD2275W 22" Widescreen High Definition LCD

Any good based on the specs? That is the top of my budget too ($1000+ tax)

Thanks for any advise!

Regards,
D
HI

I checked out the system you are talking about, and if I were you I would buy this
GT5412 Media Center Desktop

and the monitor that you have a link to.
It comes slightly over 1200 canadian dollars, but when you convert to american dollars it is around your 1000 dollar US budget.

reasons

processor is much faster (also dual core)
twice the amount of memory (RAM)
more expansion room

Your other alternative to the LCD monitor is this:

buy a monitor calibrator(79 dollars and up).... and try to see how the colors turn out on your old monitor.
If it looks good, then spend the money you saved on more memory. the system you are looking at has 2G of memory, but the more the better with photoshop (if that is what you are using).
IF you are not a photoshop user or don't think you need more memory, then a second internal hard drive. very easy to install on your own. I can tell you through experence that it is an invaluable thing to have. you can save your photos and work on the second hard drive....that way if the computer takes a crash, all of your important things are safe.
If the monitor still sucks, keep the calibrator and look for a CRT monitor.

even today the CRT monitor is the standard that all other monitor compare... even LCD.
yes they are bigger but to compare

LCD has aprox 16,700 colors
CRT between million and billions depending on your graphics card

CRT will show way more details in shadows

that big 22" LCD you are looking at has 1680 x 1050 maximum resolution
My 19" CRT can (and I have it set at) 1600x1200.
the higher the resolution you can put your monitor at, the more room you will have on your desktop for photoshop.

A good CRT will have the most accuarate colors.

what I do is buy good used CRT's and calibrate them. they last a couple of years or so and just get another one.

just some ideas

good luck with your choices

randy
02-09-2007, 01:44 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you for your feedback Randy, definitely something to consider! One thing I understand (after reading on dual cores) - there is a difference in the way the older chips (dual core) handle the memory that effectively halves the amount of ram if you are running only one program. The newer versions such as Core 2 Duo"lease" sections of ram until they are done and then they turn it back to the system.

Sounds like this would be important when working with larger files...

Still doing the research...

Regards,
D
02-09-2007, 03:18 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Being a Mac person, I don't think any of my suggestions would be appreciated..

02-09-2007, 06:17 PM   #5
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
Being a Mac person, I don't think any of my suggestions would be appreciated..
A Pentax and a Mac user! I like you more with every post
There are a few Mac users out here who would like to know your thoughts on the mac machines. I am using a PowerBook G4 which is adequate for my hobby needs; but I periodically ponder moving to a desktop. Any recommendations in a Mac? Apologies if I am hijacking this thread.
02-09-2007, 07:00 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Thank you for your feedback Randy, definitely something to consider! One thing I understand (after reading on dual cores) - there is a difference in the way the older chips (dual core) handle the memory that effectively halves the amount of ram if you are running only one program. The newer versions such as Core 2 Duo"lease" sections of ram until they are done and then they turn it back to the system.

Sounds like this would be important when working with larger files...

Still doing the research...

Regards,
D
That's exactly what it does and that's why it's a better processor You don't need as much RAM but if you have 2-4GB on a core 2 Duo 4800+ You have a machine that flys Coupled together with a great video and graphics card you really will have a top of the line box. Just get your self a good CRT Monitor for your Photography needs. Flat screens can't compare in RES.
02-10-2007, 06:02 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Benji - any info shared is greatly appreciated, I know, every one who owns a Mac love them, and there are many reasons for that. My cousin just purchased his first Mac laptop and his words were "PC and Windows - never again"... For me though, all my software is for PC, and shared between the other desk top and laptop... Just not very practical for the moment to switch over.

Earl - by all means, no jacking here, just friendly info sharing!

David - thanks for confirming that, much appreciated! Now I'm kinda stuck - get what Randy suggested - has everything I need/want for the price with 2 years warranty or have a local shop build me one, same specs, with 500 GB 7200 rpm HD, and Windows XP (not sure if I'm ready for Vista at this point) at $1050?

Regards,
D

02-10-2007, 06:04 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Benji - any info shared is greatly appreciated, I know, every one who owns a Mac love them, and there are many reasons for that. My cousin just purchased his first Mac laptop and his words were "PC and Windows - never again"... For me though, all my software is for PC, and shared between the other desk top and laptop... Just not very practical for the moment to switch over.

David - thanks for confirming that, much appreciated! Now I'm kinda stuck - get what Randy suggested - $829, has everything I need/want for the price with 2 years warranty or have a local shop build me one, same specs, with 500 GB 7200 rpm HD, and Windows XP (not sure if I'm ready for Vista at this point) at $1050?

Regards,
D
02-10-2007, 06:35 AM   #9
Inactive Account

David - thanks for confirming that, much appreciated! Now I'm kinda stuck - get what Randy suggested - has everything I need/want for the price with 2 years warranty or have a local shop build me one, same specs, with 500 GB 7200 rpm HD, and Windows XP (not sure if I'm ready for Vista at this point) at $1050?

Regards,
D
Don't get Vista Yet It still has a lot of bugs. Unless you want to waste money on hooking your TV, Stereo, and all that other stuff up to your computer and dogging it down I would find a way to put XP either Home or Pro back in the box. Check out a place on the net called CyberWarehouse they carry Acer Brand (a very good brand) and could get you the system you want for a good price. I have bought many machines there in the last few years for a few people and they are very satisfied. I get most of my CPU and Mother boards from them because they have them on hand and carry a good stock of upgrade parts at good prices.
02-10-2007, 07:09 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Dave, actually looked at their site yesterday, unfortunately no Core 2 Duo systems at the moment there...

Regards,
D
02-10-2007, 07:12 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Does AMD have a similar version of processor?

Regards,
D
02-10-2007, 09:45 AM   #12
Veteran Member

D,

Looking at the links you provided, I can second Randy's suggestions about spending on the box and a calibrator - don't spend on a monitor unless you need it. The 2.8 GHz processor in your original config will be more than up to the task of photo editing, but as with these processors, it will turn into a dinosaur at a much quicker pace. If you go for the 2.8 GHz box, pop in more memory or invest in a separate, add-on video card - explanation further below.

The only thing I'm suspicious of in both boxes are the graphics boards because I think they are built-in on the mainboard and use part of the system memory (so Randy's is 2048-224 = 1824 MB system memory yours is 1024-224 = 800 MB). 800MB is not much sytem memory for MS Windows Vista to work with after you consider Anti-virus softare, MS Office, IE, and a Photoeditor software pack all running at the same time. The good thing is that the box has an expansion port so that you can add a video card and disable the on-board graphics (and return the shared memory to the system).

Cheers.
02-10-2007, 10:07 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Alvin,

Thanks for the input, much appreciated! After two days of reading and researching - many thanks to all for your pointers, I feel somewhat educated on the later technologies again I know what I need/want:

Core 2 Duo processor
2GB Ram
320-500 HD
No thrills - just a simple work horse desktop to tackle imaging and internet

Dilemma - I don't want Vista! Just found this too: When you edit the properties of a photo in Windows Vista, the software for the digital camera may no longer recognize the metadata that is automatically added to the photo Makes me not want it even more so! But everything out there is sold with Vista now... Wait till later in the spring (when at least some of the bugs are worked out)? I'm not in desperation to get one, I just have slow systems at the moment, but all work...

Regards,
D
02-10-2007, 10:38 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Alvin,

Thanks for the input, much appreciated! After two days of reading and researching - many thanks to all for your pointers, I feel somewhat educated on the later technologies again I know what I need/want:

Core 2 Duo processor
2GB Ram
320-500 HD
No thrills - just a simple work horse desktop to tackle imaging and internet

Dilemma - I don't want Vista! Just found this too: When you edit the properties of a photo in Windows Vista, the software for the digital camera may no longer recognize the metadata that is automatically added to the photo Makes me not want it even more so! But everything out there is sold with Vista now... Wait till later in the spring (when at least some of the bugs are worked out)? I'm not in desperation to get one, I just have slow systems at the moment, but all work...

Regards,
D
you are right about vista. If you can, I would wait until the summer for some of the little bugs to be sorted out.
I took a USB key in to a computer shop to see if it could recognize it in Vista (very popular brand name) and Vista couldn't recognize it, and then they stuck it into a used computer with windows xp and it did without any problem.

here is a work around if you can't wait.
If you have a windows xp intall CD, you can try to install in on the same computer and you can choose to boot in either XP or Vista.
that way you have very compatable computer until Vista has all the driver issues sorted out.

randy
02-10-2007, 12:24 PM   #15
Forum Member

If you really want to try using a Mac then why not look into it? The new Intel based Macs can either dual boot Mac OS X or Windows XP using software from Apple called Bootcamp. You can then have access to all of your current Windows software until you purchase Mac software. The second option is to use Parallels to run Windows XP as a virtual machine while running OS X at the same time. In either case you have the best of both worlds on one machine.

On the Windows front, your best bet for now is to head into a Staples or Office Depot or BestBuy and look for the Windows XP machines that are on clearance. They are often discounted significantly to get them out of the store. With the money that you save, you can use that to upgrade RAM, buy the monitor calibrator that you need, the must have back up hard drive, etc.

Monitors are, like cameras, a personal preference. A couple of the things that I like about LCDs vs. CRTs
- space savings
- reduced radiation levels
- the ability to rotate the screen into portrait mode if your monitor has this built-in like some Dells and Samsungs (or the ability to add a third party stand that allows rotations)
- reduced heat output
- reduced electricity consumption
- reduced eye strain (my eyes are sensitive to the flicker from CRTs even when run at frequencies like 75 Hz)

One thing to consider about LCD and monitors that run at very high resolutions... you can run millions of colours and high resolutions (1680x 1050 and higher) but this will depend on whether your video card supports these options. Also, with LCDs try the monitor out at the native resolution before you buy as some people find that the text and icons are too small to read comfortably