Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-13-2015, 08:37 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

UPS finally bit me.

I've been an avid supporter of UPS, never had a problem until yesterday! I had a package due, and when it didn't arrive 3 hours after the tracking info showed "delivery confirmation"; I drove down to my mailbox 2 miles away, right next to a very busy County road to see if perhaps it could be there. It wasn't. I called UPS, and they said the driver "drove up my road, but couldn't find which was my house, so he tied it to my mailbox!!!!" First of all, my house is the first one you come to, no other houses are in sight. Secondly; I waited all day, & he did NOT drive in here!

So now, a $100 package is gone, and they are questioning whether a neighbor "might have picked it up, and hasn't dropped it off to me yet". I only have one neighbor, & he drives right by my house, & would definitely drop it off! Then they said maybe the postal delivery person took it, because they arn't supposed to leave anything tied to the mailbox........HELLO! Then why the heck did he do that? Frankly, I told them the driver was just too lazy & in a hurry to drive the 2 miles to my house to drop off a 3-day shipped box to me! So now, they don't know whether they will have the company I bought from, replace the item, or if they will pay me for it. I want the dang item! Last I was told it was "under investigation", and don't know how long it will be before it's settled.

A driver that was so lax, as to tie a box to a mailbox in the boonies, right next to a busy road, just as well as put a big sign on it, saying "Take Me!". Oh, now they noted on my record, that the mailbox is a "high risk" area, not to leave anything there! There's a reason I have all my first class mail go to a PO box at the post office, instead of sitting down in a mailbox in the boonies!

Needless to say, I've had them put it on my record, that every package now requires my signature; unless the mailbox can sign for it, they will have to drive in to the house!

11-13-2015, 08:47 AM   #2
Veteran Member

That sucks.

Is that your DA 50 you're waiting for?
11-13-2015, 11:19 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Such a shame! I feel your pain. Have to say I've been waiting for something like that to happen here, too. It has always amazed me that packages just get left on the porch for anyone to plunder. B&H now requires a signature when they ship lenses, but I don't know what their cutoff is regarding worth.

A guy who delivers packages for Amazon told me they now drive unmarked vans because thieves were following them around and stealing what they left. I wondered why it took the bad guys so long to figure that one out... Twenty years ago, when UPS, etc. first started leaving packages without signatures here, I thought one could make quite the haul following that truck around. It's definitely not a good system. I thought to thwart it by requiring a signature on my end, but then wound up taking days off from work to wait for packages that didn't show till the next day!

I now don't wonder why they sell those big locked delivery boxes some folks have bolted to their porches. Not too attractive, tho...
11-13-2015, 11:55 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have a former friend whose former husband works as a driver for UPS. That's about as much help as I can provide. Want me to call him up and cuss him out? He's a nice guy and won't mind.

11-13-2015, 01:12 PM   #5
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
Last I was told it was "under investigation", and don't know how long it will be before it's settled.
I can give you some idea.....UPS lost a blower fan for my A/C two years ago and just last month I received a card from them saying it was still under investigation. Fortunately I ordered a new on the day after they lost it and had it shipped FedX...otherwise it would have been two long hot summers!

Regards!
11-13-2015, 01:17 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
I can give you some idea.....UPS lost a blower fan for my A/C two years ago and just last month I received a card from them saying it was still under investigation. Fortunately I ordered a new on the day after they lost it and had it shipped FedX...otherwise it would have been two long hot summers!

Regards!
What will happen is the day your current blower fan fails, UPS will find your blower fan and deliver to your door!
Perfect
11-13-2015, 01:58 PM   #7
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kath Quote
I now don't wonder why they sell those big locked delivery boxes some folks have bolted to their porches
That wouldn't help me, when the driver was to lazy to drive to my house.

11-13-2015, 01:59 PM   #8
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
I have a former friend whose former husband works as a driver for UPS. That's about as much help as I can provide. Want me to call him up and cuss him out? He's a nice guy and won't mind.
Yes, please do; it might make me feel better!
11-13-2015, 01:59 PM   #9
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote

Regards!
Yeah, I'm afraid this is kissed goodbye.
11-13-2015, 02:06 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sorry to here this. Signature required doesn't seem to mean much either. Several years ago I purchased a brand new Bronica ETRsi, a new lens and auto exposure prism from B&H. After it was a few days late, I called B&H looking for it. They looked into it and found that it had been left in my garage and there was no signature stating that I received it. A signature was required too. I stayed on the phone to B&H and went out to look in my garage and sure enough, there it all was tucked into a corner.
11-13-2015, 03:15 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

More than once a UPS driver has scanned my parcel (to meet their deadline?), then delivered it the next business day.
My insane USPS carrier did this exact thing to me just this week.
Maybe you'll get lucky and it will turn up Monday...

Chris
11-13-2015, 03:20 PM - 1 Like   #12
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Chris, it's not going to show up, someone stole it; when the driver himself said he left it hanging on my mailbox!
11-13-2015, 05:56 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
Needless to say, I've had them put it on my record, that every package now requires my signature; unless the mailbox can sign for it, they will have to drive in to the house!
Tried that before. Every package from now on will not be delivered. Instead, you'll get the note saying "We tried to deliver..." Eventually, you'll have to go to the UPS store to pick it up.
11-13-2015, 06:18 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sadly, I've had similar issues with USPS so I don't know if it is just UPS to blame. My neighborhood has a community mailbox for my block and the USPS driver literally has to drive by my house to get to it. However, several times I have found 'Attempted Delivery" slips in my mailbox when I know I was home all day. This is for deliveries that require signatures which is why they don't just leave it in the mailbox.

Anyway, my point is you have a chance to get a lazy driver regardless of the delivery company.
11-13-2015, 07:43 PM   #15
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Well, that lazy driver will cost UPS reimbursement of the package.