Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
11-21-2015, 02:50 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
The Intel i5-6500 in this one is significantly faster than the AMD FX-6300 specified in your OP, so that is a huge plus. The NVIDIA GeForce GT 720 is not as good as the Radeon R7 360, but that shouldn't matter too much unless you play more than casual games; and anyway, it's easy to install a newer, better graphics card at a later date. The biggest downfall I see in this system is the 4GB RAM is not much these days, but you could always upgrade that later on, too.

What do you think your max budget will be when the time comes?

11-21-2015, 04:17 PM   #17
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Between $500-$600. I don't play any games, outside of Solitaire
11-21-2015, 05:50 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Pretty much what luftluss said.

If I were you I'd get something with at least:
3 Ghz processor
4 cores
8gb ram
128 gb ssd - to put OS on, move your old hard drive to new computer.
USB 3 ports
DVD drive
11-21-2015, 06:42 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Yes, the keyboard on my Netbook is terrible!
Yeah. I went down to the Microcenter today and tried out keyboards, and the Lenovos, which I'd always heard were great were terrible. Ditto most of the Dells, and pretty much everyone else. I'm probably goign to go with Alienware just because they have a keyboard that's not awful.

11-21-2015, 06:56 PM   #20
Site Supporter

Did you try the Asus ROG line? Or an MSI gaming laptop? You might find that gaming laptop keyboards give you more of the feel you desire.
11-21-2015, 07:17 PM   #21
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
I agree with the others -- if you have an external HD, get USB 3.0. I notice the difference.

QuoteOriginally posted by Outis Quote
I'm probably goign to go with Alienware just because they have a keyboard that's not awful.
I have a love/hate thing with my Alienware laptop. I think I have a bad sector in the RAID array which gets annoying, but otherwise I really like it. I love the lighted keyboard, I like how it feels, and this one has the 10-key. My previous laptop had lights in the keyboard too, but this one can be color customized. When I got it, they had the lights on the chassis all going and I turned most of them off. I just keep the power button (set it to change from green when plugged in to purple when on battery power) and keyboard lights on. I don't need it to look like a UFO just landed.
11-21-2015, 08:22 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Looks pretty good. 4 gigs of memory is fine if you only use old 32 bit programs. I think 8 gigs is a bare minimum, 16 would leave some wiggle room.
Maybe some real computer expert can chime in.
edit: I am 5 hours late, that`s what I get for responding to "posts quoted"

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 11-21-2015 at 08:30 PM.
11-21-2015, 08:29 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nikigunn Quote
My previous laptop had lights in the keyboard too, but this one can be color customized. When I got it, they had the lights on the chassis all going and I turned most of them off. I just keep the power button (set it to change from green when plugged in to purple when on battery power) and keyboard lights on. I don't need it to look like a UFO just landed.
You should get it a K-S1 and they could be buddies!
11-21-2015, 09:11 PM   #24
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
Looks pretty good. 4 gigs of memory is fine if you only use old 32 bit programs. I think 8 gigs is a bare minimum, 16 would leave some wiggle room.
Maybe some real computer expert can chime in.
edit: I am 5 hours late, that`s what I get for responding to "posts quoted"
I could add memory to this one. I think this (2nd link) would fit my needs very well; considering what I've been using since 2009!
11-21-2015, 09:27 PM - 1 Like   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Put more memory in it. My wife's computer has 4 Gb RAM and runs Lightroom 6 noticeably slower than my laptop with 8 Gb RAM. Have them install it before shipping. If you install it, and something isn't right, the response may not be all you desire.
11-21-2015, 09:36 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I could add memory to this one. I think this (2nd link) would fit my needs very well; considering what I've been using since 2009!
I really would go for the best CPU, like in your 2nd link. Look at it this way: that Intel CPU can process data up to about 50% faster than the AMD FX-6300 specified in your 1st link. And it's a heckuva lot easier to upgrade RAM in the future than the CPU, so the potential longevity of the "Gamer Xtreme S100" is greater.
11-21-2015, 09:59 PM   #27
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Yes, I was talking about the second one I linked to. I think it will be a good unit for me.
11-21-2015, 10:08 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes, I was talking about the second one I linked to. I think it will be a good unit for me.
Within your budget, it does look pretty good. Just needs little more memory. IMO
11-22-2015, 07:44 AM   #29
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
Put more memory in it. My wife's computer has 4 Gb RAM and runs Lightroom 6 noticeably slower than my laptop with 8 Gb RAM. Have them install it before shipping. If you install it, and something isn't right, the response may not be all you desire.
I would have to contact NewEgg; don't know whether they offer this service or not. However, I have added more memory to my present computer in the past, & it was easy; just made sure not to have static electricity before touching inside.
11-22-2015, 08:44 AM   #30
Veteran Member

I have added more memory to my present computer in the past, & it was easy
I thought you said you new nothing about computers...

If you get the second computer, you can just pop 4gbs of RAM in and it will run nicer / quicker.