Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12 Likes Search this Thread
12-17-2015, 11:35 AM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
Which software Tom? This is what I'm hesitant about getting a new computer, is the switch over of my files, etc., to the new computer.
One easy way is to connect both computers to the network and copy-paste from old computer to new computer through the LAN.

12-17-2015, 11:59 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
The name of it is Reflect by Macrium. It's download based and is actually made for keeping a running back up of your computer, but in the home version they include the ability to do the drive transfer. The process was pretty easy: using the software, I made a Recovery DVD. Then using the software, I did the back up file to an external drive I have, but could have done it to any other drive with sufficient space. After the back up, turned off the computer, pulled the old drive out, put in the new one, and rebooted. Because of how my bios is set up, I needed to go in there and tell it to boot from the DVD. You may not have to do this, it's just that I had mine set to boot from the C: drive and nothing else. The computer rebooted when I exited the bios and the DVD booted up the Macrium program. I picked out what drive back up I wanted, what drive I wanted it cloned to, and what size partition (I selected to use the entire drive as the partition) and 30 minutes later I was done. Went back into the bios and changed the boot drive back to the C: and that was it. Exited the bios, the computer rebooted, and it was like nothing had ever changed.
12-17-2015, 12:06 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
One easy way is to connect both computers to the network and copy-paste from old computer to new computer through the LAN.
That is absolutely true for transferring most files like pictures or MS word files. It doesn't work for program files however as they require changes to the registry when they are installed.
12-17-2015, 12:09 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
That is absolutely true for transferring most files like pictures or MS word files. It doesn't work for program files however as they require changes to the registry when they are installed.
Good point. I meant this is an easy option for documents.

12-17-2015, 12:29 PM   #20
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Tom, thanks!! I know that I'm on borrowed time with my present computer, so want to be prepared as to what to do with the switch over.
12-17-2015, 12:53 PM - 1 Like   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
So I ordered a 2TB Samsung SSD for a replacement.
No doubt you were inspired by the video about SSD's put forth by Samsung.

12-17-2015, 01:00 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
Tom, thanks!! I know that I'm on borrowed time with my present computer, so want to be prepared as to what to do with the switch over.
I have noted several times that I use Carbonite as a off-site backup storage. If you get it for 3 years, it works out to be $50 a year. It works in the background. After loading the program, you tell it what directories or individual files you want to back up. From that point forward, every time you ad a file to that folder, it will back it up. The advantage to it is if someone stole my computer or I have a catastrophic hard drive failure, which has happened twice, I merely open my Carbonite account and tell it to restore the files. Bare in mind though, depending on your internet speed, the restore process can be lengthy. Still, you can run it at night after you've gone to bed or let it run in the background, and you'll get all your files back. For $50 a year, it's one of the best buys out there. You can also get free or cheap cloud storage, but then you need to back the stuff up yourself or rely on another program to do so. And I'm not sold on the security of cloud sites. Not that anyone would want to steal my pictures, but I also back up financial and other documents.

12-18-2015, 05:23 PM   #23
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks Tom; I do have an external Maxtor One Touch 4 HD with backup software now.
01-01-2016, 02:05 AM   #24

Did the gfx card make much of a difference, I have an old saffire hd5970 but i'm itching to buy this 980ti

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/inno3d-geforce-gtx-980ti-hybrid-black-edition...gx-057-in.html
Also are Sandisk x300 drives decent, i'm using a 128gb crucial m300 but it's far too small.
01-01-2016, 06:08 AM - 1 Like   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Huxley Quote
Did the gfx card make much of a difference, I have an old saffire hd5970 but i'm itching to buy this 980ti

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/inno3d-geforce-gtx-980ti-hybrid-black-edition...gx-057-in.html
Also are Sandisk x300 drives decent, i'm using a 128gb crucial m300 but it's far too small.
Yes it did make a difference. For example, in one game I was playing, Bio Shock Infinite, it eliminated video drop out I was experiencing and upped frame rates. The new card loafs along where the old one needed to start it's cooling fan after a few minutes of play.

As for drives, I subscribe to a publication named Maximum PC, and their website lists products the find the best, as well as best for the money. The Samsung Pro SSD topped the list with the EVO a close and cheaper second, so I went with the EVO version. I can't comment on the Sandisk products as I've had no experience with them. I do like their SD cards though.
01-01-2016, 06:38 AM - 2 Likes   #26

Yes it did make a difference. For example, in one game I was playing, Bio Shock Infinite, it eliminated video drop out I was experiencing and upped frame rates. The new card loafs along where the old one needed to start it's cooling fan after a few minutes of play.

As for drives, I subscribe to a publication named Maximum PC, and their website lists products the find the best, as well as best for the money. The Samsung Pro SSD topped the list with the EVO a close and cheaper second, so I went with the EVO version. I can't comment on the Sandisk products as I've had no experience with them. I do like their SD cards though.
That's good to know, I kind of went full potato and ordered this lot, ah well.

Inno3D GeForce GTX 980Ti Hybrid Black Edition 6144MB GDDR5
Intel i7-5820K 3.30GHz (Haswell-E) Socket LGA2011-V3 Processor
Asus X99 Deluxe/USB3.1 Intel X99 (Socket 2011) DDR4 ATX Motherboard
Corsair Hydro H100i GTX 240mm High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler
Corsair - Vengeance 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 PC4-25600C16 3200MHz Quad Channel Kit - Black
Samsung 950 Pro 256GB M.2 PCI-e 3.0 x 4 NVMe Solid State Drive
SanDisk X300 512GB Enterprise Class SSD 2.5" SATA 6Gbps Solid State Drive

Guess my wallet is going to burn in hell for a good while haha.

Last edited by Huxley; 01-01-2016 at 06:53 AM.
01-01-2016, 10:16 PM - 2 Likes   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Over the last couple of days I upgraded my brother's PC to an i7-6700k and 16GB DDR4-3000 memory. The i7-6700k I overclocked to 4.7ghz @ 1.39v, cooled with his 2-year-old Corsair H100 (not the original fans, I had replaced those shortly after getting the unit). It's nice.