Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-24-2015, 05:38 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My rant about UPS.

Why is it that UPS will attempt to deliver a "signature required" package in the middle of the afternoon, while most of us are at work?
Got the "sorry, missed delivery, will try again tomorrow" sticker at the door.
This is a Déjà Vu from the last time I ordered something that required a sig. from someone 21 yo. or older.

So, what I did last time was take the afternoon off, making sure that I would not miss the delivery... What a waste of paid leave, the truck pulled up well after 5 pm
...Going to do the same thing again tomorrow... Wish me luck

11-24-2015, 05:46 PM   #2

Maybe because it takes time to get from point a to point b to point c to point d? And many of those points are businesses. How many deliveries do you think they'd be able to make in one day if they waited until 5 oclock rush hour to send the trucks out? Perhaps they should deliver between 11pm and 5am in the morning, then then there would be high likelihood of you being home?

At least he didn't do this:

Last edited by Not a Number; 11-24-2015 at 05:56 PM.
11-24-2015, 05:57 PM   #3
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Is it possible to have it delivered to your work place?
11-24-2015, 06:02 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Or held for pickup at the distribution center. Perhaps even a local UPS store (not sure they can do this though).

11-24-2015, 06:07 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Maybe because it takes time to get from point a to point b to point c to point d? And many of those points are businesses. How many deliveries do you think they'd be able to make in one day if they waited until 5 oclock rush hour to send the trucks out? Perhaps they should deliver between 11pm and 5am in the morning, then then there would be high likelihood of you being home?
I get all that.

I called them and asked if they could send my stuff out on the "late delivery truck" that runs thru my 400+ house neighborhood. (they did last time, been a while back thou)
The customer care agent told me that there is NO second delivery schedule to my neighborhood. B.S my butt!
Just dodged a UPS truck 3 days ago, around 6:30 PM making deliveries while cycling my short neighborhood ride. Talked to the driver briefly (very nice guy BTW)

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 11-25-2015 at 04:17 AM.
11-24-2015, 06:12 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
Not this shipment, had not signed up for the "My UPS" thing. Subsequent, yes.

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 11-24-2015 at 06:18 PM.
11-24-2015, 06:14 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by colonel00 Quote
Or held for pickup at the distribution center. Perhaps even a local UPS store (not sure they can do this though).
No option for the UPS store according to the Customer Care person. Distribution center is a 1hr 40 min. round trip. It might come to that

11-24-2015, 06:17 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
At least he didn't do this
No, it`s not the delivery guys, they are all really nice down here.
11-24-2015, 06:33 PM   #9
mee
Veteran Member

Those drivers make around 75k a year too.. incredible.

As for the signing.. that is just the way it is. It isn't a fault of UPS per say.. frustrating though yes. I thought they held the package at their point location if it isn't deliverable and you can pick it up there (with ID). Or maybe I thinking of a different delivery service.. hmmm.

---------- Post added 11-24-15 at 07:34 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by colonel00 Quote
doh. That is what I get for letting the thread sit for 30 minutes.. someone else answers it already.
11-24-2015, 06:43 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote

As for the signing.. that is just the way it is. It isn't a fault of UPS per say.. frustrating though yes. I thought they held the package at their point location if it isn't deliverable and you can pick it up there (with ID). Or maybe I thinking of a different delivery service.. hmmm.

doh. That is what I get for letting the thread sit for 30 minutes.. someone else answers it already.
My thing is about the fact that UPS knows all about my shopping/delivery preferences through Amazon and other places.
And they bullheadedly insist on delivering goods, when they know that nobody is home.
I just re-watched the poor guy get out of the truck, walk up the drive way, in defeat, knowing that there was no-one to sign for the package. So sad...

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 11-24-2015 at 07:07 PM.
11-25-2015, 06:00 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
That's what I often did when I was working and knew no one would be home.

My current driver is a peach. He goes out the way to make deliveries, even helping my daughter by carrying them in the house if I'm not here. Others needed to have their necks rung. When I was a licensed gun dealer, one of them left a handgun sitting next to the door, despite it being labeled signature required, for obvious reasons. Shortly after that, UPS started requiring all firearms use Red Label shipping, which is tracked and cannot be delivered without a warm body signing for it. Luckily, I live in a good neighborhood and the package sat there for several hours until I got home.
11-25-2015, 06:02 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote

They only make that if they work a lot of overtime, which I believe UPS is trying to curb.
11-25-2015, 01:28 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I had that problem and I called Amazon and told them that I was about to cancel my Prime account. The item was delivered the next day.
11-25-2015, 05:09 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Update...
Took the afternoon off from work.. he pulled up around 1:30PM, got my ASUS.
I am "happy and informed" for future deliveries, not very fond of having to sign up for "my UPS" thing, oh well, all of our data is compromised anyway.

Cheers.