Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-06-2016, 11:20 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
I'm sure many of you heard of the Raspberry Pi - $35 computer which is quite useable.
Now they've broken another record... $5 for more powerful than the original Pi, and it is tiny.
It's so cheap they are giving it away with their magazine if you buy a print copy.
Here's the specs:
  • A Broadcom BCM2835 application processor (1GHz ARM11 core (40% faster than Raspberry Pi 1))
  • 512MB of LPDDR2 SDRAM
  • A micro-SD card slot
  • A mini-HDMI socket for 1080p60 video output
  • Micro-USB sockets for data and power
  • An unpopulated 40-pin GPIO header (Identical pinout to Model A+/B+/2B)
  • An unpopulated composite video header
  • Our smallest ever form factor, at 65mm x 30mm x 5mm
How much will it cost with the hardware necessary to actually make it usable, i.e., a monitor, keyboard, case, hard drive and who knows what else?

01-06-2016, 11:22 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pete-tarmigan Quote
How much will it cost with the hardware necessary to actually make it usable, i.e., a monitor, keyboard, case, hard drive and who knows what else?
The Pi is not targeted for use in the traditional Personal Computer paradigm.
01-06-2016, 11:25 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
It has bugs with the K-50, but I'll give it a try..
The developer is super helpful. He has debugged issues via email and provided test code/versions to get my camera running !

As he says "I cannot test the program for all the cameras. Please inform me if you test the program with any of the cameras above."

Feedback helps to:
a) inform the developer about what works and what doesn't.
b) Get issues specific to your camera worked on. Especially when you can participate in trialling the fixes.

Most developers begin by writing code for their own use case and hardware.
That they then continue to update and modify it for new models and other operating systems is tremendous given what they then code for is often several levels removed from what they themselves are using..!

That they do it for little if any recompense means any effort you can make to assist is valuable to all users.

Open source is a two way street.
01-06-2016, 11:26 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pete-tarmigan Quote
Nothing.
Do you have a TV at home? -monitor
Do you have an old keyboard? - interface
Do you have lego? - case
Do you have an SD card? - hard drive

01-06-2016, 11:27 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bobD Quote
The developer is super helpful. He has debugged issues via email and provided test code/versions to get my camera running !

As he says "I cannot test the program for all the cameras. Please inform me if you test the program with any of the cameras above."

Feedback helps to:
a) inform the developer about what works and what doesn't.
b) Get issues specific to your camera worked on. Especially when you can participate in trialling the fixes.

Open source is a two way street. Most developers begin by writing code for their own use case and hardware.
That they then continue to update and modify it for new models and other operating systems is tremendous given that what they then code for is often several levels removed from what they themselves are using..!

That they do it for little if any recompense means that any effort you can make to assist is valuable to all users.
Good to know.
01-06-2016, 12:03 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
The Pi is not targeted for use in the traditional Personal Computer paradigm.
Like the saying that "if you have to ask the price, then you can't afford it", if I have to ask how to make it usable, then I am incapable of using it.

Also, it's fine and dandy that the hardware is cheap. That makes it affordable to the poor. However, the cost of the education necessary for someone to be able to use it is out of reach for the those same poor. Even if some generous soul has donated their time for free to produce on-line tutorials the poor will still have to buy a computer and internet service or forgo working for a living in order to use a computers in a public library.