Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-26-2015, 08:27 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Raspberry Pi Zero $5

I'm sure many of you heard of the Raspberry Pi - $35 computer which is quite useable.
Now they've broken another record... $5 for more powerful than the original Pi, and it is tiny.
It's so cheap they are giving it away with their magazine if you buy a print copy.
Here's the specs:
  • A Broadcom BCM2835 application processor (1GHz ARM11 core (40% faster than Raspberry Pi 1))
  • 512MB of LPDDR2 SDRAM
  • A micro-SD card slot
  • A mini-HDMI socket for 1080p60 video output
  • Micro-USB sockets for data and power
  • An unpopulated 40-pin GPIO header (Identical pinout to Model A+/B+/2B)
  • An unpopulated composite video header
  • Our smallest ever form factor, at 65mm x 30mm x 5mm

Here's link to buy it (already out of stock): Raspberry Pi Zero ID: 2885 - $5.00 : Adafruit Industries, Unique & fun DIY electronics and kits

If you're near a Micro Center you can buy one in store: http://www.microcenter.com/product/457746/Raspberry_Pi_Zero

I'll let the Raspberry Pi foundation do the rest of the talking: https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/raspberry-pi-zero/

Last edited by bertwert; 11-26-2015 at 08:36 AM.
01-05-2016, 03:30 PM   #2
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
I am using Raspberry Pi1B 512 for some time as my HTPC TV. It's very impressive how they did this little thing to maintain HD content.
I'd like to know how to use RPI with Pentax camera. Any ideas? Is there any interesting project to connect DSLR and RPi?
01-05-2016, 03:33 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by HanSolo Quote
I am using Raspberry Pi1B 512 for some time as my HTPC TV.
We're using ours for that with OpenElec.
Is there any interesting project to connect DSLR and RPi?
Connect to the wired remote port to fire if the Pi senses something? Maybe a PIR sensor for movement detection.
01-05-2016, 03:42 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If it's a Zero why is it worth $5?

01-05-2016, 03:56 PM   #5
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
We're using ours for that with OpenElec.
I am using OpenELEC too. It's the best I've tried.

Connect to the wired remote port to fire if the Pi senses something? Maybe a PIR sensor for movement detection.
Yeah, that's one of the idea. What about shoot and sending picture via RPi to specified ftp or email directly? Endless possibilities, but I'm curious abut actual usage RPi with camera. Is there someone?
01-05-2016, 03:57 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
What about shoot and sending picture via RPi to specified ftp or email directly?
Problem is, you can't tether Pentax cameras.
01-05-2016, 04:13 PM   #7
Forum Member

I thought EyeFi SD cards are for communicating with phones/PCs. That's the way to tether I think.

01-05-2016, 04:40 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Myself, I've decided to back the Pine A64 project. $19 for a board with a quad core 1.2GHZ CPU, a powerful GPU capable of 4k output, 1GB RAM, Gigabit ethernet, etc. And it consumes something like 3.5 Watts! The specs and price point are pretty amazing for anyone who's been into computers for many years...
01-05-2016, 04:48 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote
Myself, I've decided to back the Pine A64 project. $19 for a board with a quad core 1.2GHZ CPU, a powerful GPU capable of 4k output, 1GB RAM, Gigabit ethernet, etc. And it consumes something like 3.5 Watts! The specs and price point are pretty amazing for anyone who's been into computers for many years...
Looks interesting, but the GPIO on the Pi would be easier to use.
But for a third of the price ($5) you get more than two thirds of the power...
01-05-2016, 08:27 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Looks interesting, but the GPIO on the Pi would be easier to use.
But for a third of the price ($5) you get more than two thirds of the power...
For sure the Pi Zero is part of an already large ecosystem. They've shipped other models and have a good track record. And the GPIO on the Pine A64 remains to be fully announced, I think, though I've read it might be compatible with Pi accessories. Time will tell once boards really start shipping. However, I'd be interested in knowing how you came up with the claim that the Pi Zero has two thirds of the power. According to this article on the Pine over at Tom's Hardware, "The Raspberry Pi Zero also has significantly weaker hardware [than the Pine], a single 32-bit CPU core". So, if I have this right, you're comparing a 1.2 Ghz, 64bit quad-core board with a pretty nice 4K-capable GPU in the Pine, with a 1Ghz single core, 32 bit board. Not that the Pi Zero has bad specs for the price, but the Pi Zero has way less than two thirds of the power, and $5 vrs $15 (or $19 for the Pine A64+) seems quite appropriate, AFAICT. Note that I'm just starting to dip my toes in with single board computers, so I'm not meaning to rain on anyone's parade - just trying to share my excitement for the Pine A64 project as another alternative. Certainly, their Kickstarter has been an enormous success. They were trying to raise $30k, and so far have raise over $800k. I look forward to getting back into some software hacking with this little device!
01-06-2016, 01:41 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Problem is, you can't tether Pentax cameras.
Yes you can ! and to a Pi no less....

pkTriggerCord

Deb file for Raspbian ( Raspberry PI )....
https://github.com/asalamon74/pktriggercord/releases/download/v0.82.04/pktri...04-1_armhf.deb
01-06-2016, 05:57 AM   #12
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

This is very interesting...but sadly, I don't understand anything about it. I am even more computer ignorant than I thought I was. I thought about taking a computer course at the local Community College, but being an old dog, I know I am too lazy to attend with any regularity. If I have questions....I usually just ask you guys.

As an old retired plumber...if you guys have any problem flushing, I'm at you disposal (no pun intended)...you can normally find me here 24/7!

Regards!
01-06-2016, 06:30 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
This is very interesting...but sadly, I don't understand anything about it.
Basically, instead of getting (much) faster, these days, computers are getting much smaller, cheaper and with much lower power consumption. (Which is why phones have become a fairly powerful computers.) The Pi Zero is a pretty decent, credit-card sized computer that costs $5, and the Pine A64 is a more powerful computer that costs $15 and will be available in the spring. The capabilities and the cost of these minuscule systems are pretty amazing to anyone who's been using computers for a long time (and remembers 100W single core processors).
01-06-2016, 06:52 AM   #14
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote
The capabilities and the cost of these minuscule systems are pretty amazing to anyone who's been using computers for a long time (and remembers 100W single core processors).
It is all pretty amazing to me.....I do wish I understood more, but it does not keep me from enjoying the many benefits of the technology and the advancements that continue to stream at a rapid pace.
The future??? Not even sure we can imagine it accurately. Astounding revelations are certain to appear, let's just hope the world is around long enough for us to see and enjoy them.

Regards!
01-06-2016, 10:02 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bobD Quote
pkTriggerCord
It has bugs with the K-50, but I'll give it a try.
QuoteOriginally posted by bobD Quote
Deb file for Raspbian
Nice, they have a deb file for Raspbian.

I haven't looked into pkTriggerCord much yet.