Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-31-2019, 11:01 AM - 1 Like   #241
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
For many years my physician was a nurse practitioner, the very best health professional I have ever entrusted my health care to (she has retired, I miss her very much). She gave me more great advice for my health than any MD I have ever seen, before or after.

I am re-reading a book a she recommended 11 years ago.

The Art Of Racing In The Rain, by Garth Stein, who it turns out is a fellow racer in the regional club I have been racing with since 1989.

The novel isn't about racing, as much as it is about a dog, named Enzo (Ferrari), and his master Denny Swift and his family.

The synopsis from Wikipedia:

A great story, about one of the things we often treasure most in life, our dogs, and how we interact with them.

Highly recommended.
This book was made into a movie, running in theaters currently.

Mrs. Racer 2.0 took me to see it for my birthday last weekend.

Well done, quite true to the book, save for some minor changes by Hollywood.

Highly recommended.

08-31-2019, 11:03 AM - 1 Like   #242
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Oh, and on my table today is the 1995 Ford Truck Service Manual.

Doing some maintenance on the cooling system, and preparing a list of parts to order.
08-31-2019, 12:12 PM   #243
Veteran Member

Shades of Grey: Glasgow 1956 - 1987 by Oscar Marzaroli (A Scottish photographer)
08-31-2019, 02:39 PM - 3 Likes   #244
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Helios 1984 Quote
Shades of Grey: Glasgow 1956 - 1987 by Oscar Marzaroli (A Scottish photographer)
When you asked for 'Shades of Grey' at the bookshop, Helios, did eyebrows raise on all the customers around you?

08-31-2019, 04:07 PM - 2 Likes   #245
Pentaxian

My current book is "Packing for Mars" by Mary Roach -- an amusing, thorough, and occasionally unappetizing look at what it really takes to keep humans alive and functioning during long-duration space flight.
09-06-2019, 05:34 PM - 1 Like   #246
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Just completed: "THE PLANTAGENETS" The Warrior Kings and Queens Who Made England, by Dan Jones, 2012, 510 pages.

I went here after reading Dan Jones' book "Magna Carta" to delve more deeply into an area of history I've always been ignorant of - British royalty.

Most interesting, and, recommended.
09-06-2019, 06:36 PM   #247
Pentaxian

Citizens: A Chronicle of the French Revolution, by Simon Schamam along with Clackers' recommendation, Christopher Clark's 'Iron Kingdom: The Rise and Downfall of Prussia, 1600–1947'.

Also reading Magna Carta: The origins of liberty from Runneymede to Washington, by Geoffrey Hindley.

I usually read a number of books.

09-07-2019, 03:09 AM - 1 Like   #248
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Citizens: A Chronicle of the French Revolution, by Simon Schamam
Schama's written a lot, his background is actually Art - wrote the definitive bio of Rembrandt.

09-07-2019, 02:50 PM - 2 Likes   #249
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Just finished an excellent detailed history of the Gettysburg campaign

THE GETTYSBURG CAMPAIGN

A STUDY IN COMMAND

Edwin B Coddington

Now starting

CALL SIGN CHAOS

LEARNING TO COMMAND

Jim Mattis and Bing West

Last edited by aslyfox; 09-07-2019 at 02:57 PM.
09-08-2019, 02:24 AM   #250
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Fingers in the sprinkles jar by Chris Packham
09-08-2019, 10:10 AM - 1 Like   #251
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Oh, and on my table today is the 1995 Ford Truck Service Manual.

Doing some maintenance on the cooling system, and preparing a list of parts to order.
Still have my old, dog eared, worn, greased up Chevy Astro/GMC Safari van, Haynes Shop Manual, even though that wonderful vehicle is long gone.

Also have my factory shop manuals for my old Matchless, which is a Norton motorcycle manual, and also the factory shop manual for my Yamaha, big single...among other manuals. Handy to have and sometimes...make interesting pleasure reading , particularly the Norton manual, in which the subtitle on the cover, bills the motorcycle brand as..The unapproachable Norton.

The Norton factory, always did have a rather high opinion of their machines.

---------- Post added 09-08-19 at 12:14 PM ----------

[quote=aslyfox;4719591
Now starting

LEARNING TO COMMAND

Jim Mattis and Bing West[/quote]

I'm awaiting that same book from the local library. Should be interesting.

---------- Post added 09-08-19 at 12:17 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Schama's written a lot, his background is actually Art - wrote the definitive bio of Rembrandt.
I'll have to keep that in mind for later reading.
09-08-2019, 10:25 AM   #252
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
. . . I'm awaiting that same book from the local library. Should be interesting.. . .
I'm hoping it is similar in nature to this old classic

The Mask of Command - John Keegan - Google Books

( I highly recommend Keegan's book )

a book on leadership skills and training as opposed to a political hit job

Last edited by aslyfox; 09-08-2019 at 10:35 AM.
09-08-2019, 10:35 AM - 1 Like   #253
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wildlife in American Art. It's a not-quite-catalog, with good solid text about the excellent collection at the National Museum of Wildlife Art in Jackson, Wyoming. I read it straight through when I first bought it, after visiting the museum last month, and now have it on my desk to dip into and re-read.

Looking at classic painting always helps shape my photography.
09-08-2019, 01:18 PM - 2 Likes   #254
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I almost never use my local library, but my Dad wanted to get some books out the other day, so I went with him and ended up borrowing two myself...

First, "Gwendy's Button Box" by Stephen King and Richard Chizmar, a short novella that can easily be read in one or two sittings. I was a little nervous about it, since I'm not generally a fan of co-authored books, plus I felt that King himself peaked some time ago. I needn't have worried - this is a brilliant little story, classic Stephen King in style and execution. I'm not certain if it was written for an adult or "young adult" audience, but it's equally appropriate for either. If you've ever read Clive Barker's "The Thief of Always", this bears some similarities...

Next, and the book I'm currently reading (about a quarter of the way through), is "Vulgar Things" by Lee Rourke. It's a novel set on Canvey Island, Essex by the Thames estuary that I've been to a couple of times. Odd place... the parts I've been too were pretty rough and not very attractive. The descriptions in the book are evocative of what I remember, but also give some insights to aspects I'd missed. Anyway... I'm not gripped by the story just yet - it's not one that I can't stop reading, as with some books... but it's decent enough that I'll stick with it and see how it develops...
09-09-2019, 02:32 AM - 4 Likes   #255
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I almost never use my local library, but my Dad wanted to get some books out the other day, so I went with him and ended up borrowing two myself...

First, "Gwendy's Button Box" by Stephen King and Richard Chizmar, a short novella that can easily be read in one or two sittings. I was a little nervous about it, since I'm not generally a fan of co-authored books, plus I felt that King himself peaked some time ago. I needn't have worried - this is a brilliant little story, classic Stephen King in style and execution. I'm not certain if it was written for an adult or "young adult" audience, but it's equally appropriate for either. If you've ever read Clive Barker's "The Thief of Always", this bears some similarities...

Next, and the book I'm currently reading (about a quarter of the way through), is "Vulgar Things" by Lee Rourke. It's a novel set on Canvey Island, Essex by the Thames estuary that I've been to a couple of times. Odd place... the parts I've been too were pretty rough and not very attractive. The descriptions in the book are evocative of what I remember, but also give some insights to aspects I'd missed. Anyway... I'm not gripped by the story just yet - it's not one that I can't stop reading, as with some books... but it's decent enough that I'll stick with it and see how it develops...
I’d encourage everyone here to use their local library,a valuable resource always at danger of losing funding.

(I must declare a vested interest having recently changed career to working in my local library as an assistant and relief mobile library driver.After thirty years in the property profession it’s a great change of scene!)