Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 801 Likes Search this Thread
11-14-2019, 11:31 AM - 1 Like   #331
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Do any of you carry the book you are reading from room to room, or do you have a different book in each room? (Includes one in the car, briefcase, office desk drawer, rucksack, etc)

11-14-2019, 01:13 PM - 2 Likes   #332
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
The 2001 Dodge Ram factory service manual.

The air conditioning compressor went bad, and I am tearing my way past the charge air cooler piping, radiator hose, wiring and anything else that gets in my way.
11-14-2019, 04:04 PM - 1 Like   #333
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote

The air conditioning compressor went bad, and I am tearing my way past the charge air cooler piping, radiator hose, wiring and anything else that gets in my way.
Take many pictures, my friend. Many mechanical things were not assembled exactly as in the manual! Good Luck!
11-14-2019, 06:33 PM - 1 Like   #334
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
Take many pictures, my friend. Many mechanical things were not assembled exactly as in the manual! Good Luck!
Thank you for the tip.

I'm pretty good at figuring mechanical stuff out.

Back when I was a mechanic at the electric utility I used to do a lot of side jobs in my shop at home on evenings and weekends. One time a kid at work asked me if I could fix his Toyota MR2. Seems he took it to some guy to get a head gasket leak fixed, but the guy got it all apart and then flaked out on him. He paid up front (really? what a maroon!) and then was left with a car in pieces. So I told him time and materials, bring it over.

So one day he shows up with his little sports car on a trailer, and a pickup loaded with boxes of parts. We unloaded it all, pushed the car into my shop and I had a look at all the stuff. It was mostly all there, but I did need to get a few things. The weird thing was the other mechanic had also partially disassembled the interior, instrument panel, and removed the throttle cable.

Somehow it was "broken".

So I spent the first Saturday assessing what it would take to get this bucket of bolts back together, then went to work.

I took the head apart, had a machine shop resurface it, then I cut the valve seats, ground the valves, and put it back together. Then I replaced the timing chain, sprockets and guides. Reworked the exhaust (it had a header, but it had not been done right), got it all back together, installed a new throttle cable and put the instrument panel and interior back together, and got it running.

Took it out for a spin, then rechecked everything, and called the guy up to let him know his car was ready. Took me about two and a half weeks, evenings and weekends.

So the guy shows up on a Saturday morning to get his car, but doesn't have any cash.

I told him up front, cash, no checks. I also told him that he needed to pay me before he could take the car. He was incredulous.

"Don't you trust me?" he asked.

To which I replied, "Like it says on the money, 'In God we trust', all others pay cash. No checks. And no money, no car.

I only charged him $1,500 to put his basket case back together, and didn't stroke him like the last guy.

And I wasn't about to let him drive off into the sunset without paying me.

11-14-2019, 10:59 PM - 1 Like   #335
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote

I generally bought service manuals for my vehicles.

Factory service manuals for my Evinrude outboard motor, Norton ( as my Matchless motorcycle is a hybrid- Norton mechanicals, Matchless frame) and Yamaha 500cc single. I also bought a Haynes manual for my Matchless-Norton bike and our old '97 Chevy Astro...miss that, was that an excellent all round, utility vehicle.

You never know. Now though, a lot of the modern computer/electronics heavy, fuel injected mechanicals are over my head. I fondly recall the old days, when I could adjust my oil injection rate on my '65 Yamaha YDS3 2 stroke twin, by eye...using a rhubarb leaves for contrast, from my grandmother's garden...

Now I doubt very much if any shade tree tinkerer like me...would even have a rhubarb leaf among his motley mixture of old Craftsman and Canadian Tire hand tools.

The world ain't what it used to be.
11-14-2019, 11:06 PM   #336
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The 500, by Matthew Quirk. It's been described as Grisham's "The Firm" on steroids. Yah, pretty much!
11-15-2019, 10:16 PM - 1 Like   #337
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
Do any of you carry the book you are reading from room to room, or do you have a different book in each room? (Includes one in the car, briefcase, office desk drawer, rucksack, etc)
I have my Kindle beside the bed which contains many books, currently I am working my way through "The Mote in Gods eye" by Niven and Pournelle. I've been meaning to get round to it for years. The Kindle stays beside my bed unless it is getting refreshed, I find it much easier to manage that the stack of paperpacks I used to have!

Most of my reading is now in soft copy, I have a number of books on my laptop that keep me occupied if I find myself with time to spare. However, in the sitting room is a book case that is chocka full of paperbacks, things like all the Terry Pratchett diskworld series, all of the Sharp books, the early Jack Ryan books, and stacks of others either in singles or part series. If I travel with work (which normally means flying} I put a paperback in my hand luggage as it is easy to take out a read a few pages when ever the chance is there.

11-16-2019, 10:03 AM - 2 Likes   #338
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
I always go room to room with the same book. In our house we have a guest living room, near the entrance and actually live in the family room 1/2 floor down in our four level split level home. The books go up and down; both mine and my wife's.
11-16-2019, 10:37 AM - 1 Like   #339
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Liney Quote
Most of my reading is now in soft copy, ...However, in the sitting room is a book case that is chocka full of paperbacks, things like all the Terry Pratchett diskworld series, all of the Sharp books, t... If I travel with work (which normally means flying} I put a paperback in my hand luggage as it is easy to take out a read a few pages when ever the chance is there.
I am reading more on my iPad as well, but I still own, and purchase hard copy books , or use my library system, because reading a physical book keeps me from being distracted from doing anything but reading that book. I always try and have a book handy for spare free moments. To have time, but nothing to read is a terrible experience for me.
11-16-2019, 11:32 AM   #340
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Tombland by CJ Sansom.

800 pages in paperback,I don't expect to finish it this side of Xmas!
11-16-2019, 12:08 PM   #341
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The Dreaming Void (The Void Trilogy Book 1) by Peter F. Hamilton
11-16-2019, 01:03 PM   #342
Veteran Member

I just wrapped up "How To Build A Time Machine, by Paul Davies
How to Build a Time Machine by Paul Davies

I'm finally going to tackle a book I have been wanting to read for decades : The House of the Dead by Dostoyevsky
11-16-2019, 06:36 PM   #343
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
just got today Crichton Andromeda evolution.New version his older book Andromeda strain
and D.Silva The Another Women
11-26-2019, 01:40 AM   #344
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
What book are you currently reading?

I've seen a thread about music but not about books, when I'm not taking photos I,m reading. I'm always interested in what other people are reading and looking for recommendations . I've just finished reading Wildwood by Charles de Lint
11-26-2019, 02:49 AM   #345
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi,
Just finished Lee Child's latest book "Blue Moon".
A good read which I have come to expect from him.
Regards,
Gordon.