Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 801 Likes Search this Thread
12-04-2019, 01:33 AM   #376
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by MotoRider Quote
"The secret life of bees"

I finished it today, wow what a great story of a girl on an emotional ride. It made me laugh a few time too
Glad you enjoyed it

12-05-2019, 08:40 PM   #377

I just finished Beartown by Fredrik Backman - loved it!! Now I’m reading Heroes of the Frontier by Dave Eggers. I guess I have a northern theme going.
12-05-2019, 09:26 PM   #378

I'm currently reading "Fear" by Bob Woodward. It's taken me a while, but I've been busy. I may pick up his book on Watergate after but I think the next book will be A Column of Fire.
12-08-2019, 04:11 PM - 2 Likes   #379
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I have a love and fascination of islands and their communities, and watched a great documentary (with rather poor sound quality, unfortunately) on YouTube a week or so back, about Pitcairn Island. After further research, I found that the documentary was just one episode of a 2016 TV series that was accompanied by a book - "Britain's Treasure Islands" by Stewart McPherson. Looking online, the book was rather expensive, but I found a new copy for under GBP £20 including shipping from a new Amazon Marketplace seller with little feedback. My small risk in buying from them paid off, as it arrived a couple of days ago in perfect condition, still sealed. It's a *big*, hard-back "coffee table" book - 670 pages with, I'm led to believe, many beautiful photos and fold-out maps. Only 17 people have reviewed it on Amazon, but all were glowing about it and rated it five stars. I haven't taken it out of the wrapping yet, but I'm going to enjoy reading it (or starting to read it) over the Christmas period...

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DMC-FZ62  Photo 
12-08-2019, 05:23 PM - 1 Like   #380
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I have a love and fascination of islands and their communities, and watched a great documentary (with rather poor sound quality, unfortunately) on YouTube a week or so back, about Pitcairn Island. After further research, I found that the documentary was just one episode of a 2016 TV series that was accompanied by a book - "Britain's Treasure Islands" by Stewart McPherson. Looking online, the book was rather expensive, but I found a new copy for under GBP £20 including shipping from a new Amazon Marketplace seller with little feedback. My small risk in buying from them paid off, as it arrived a couple of days ago in perfect condition, still sealed. It's a *big*, hard-back "coffee table" book - 670 pages with, I'm led to believe, many beautiful photos and fold-out maps. Only 17 people have reviewed it on Amazon, but all were glowing about it and rated it five stars. I haven't taken it out of the wrapping yet, but I'm going to enjoy reading it (or starting to read it) over the Christmas period...
I remember seeing a couple of the episodes when it was first aired,Mike.It had lots of fascinating information and was one of those programmes where you envied the presenter's opportunity to visit far flung places at someone else's expense.
I'm sure the book will prove a great acquisition.
12-09-2019, 10:22 AM - 1 Like   #381
Total n00b Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Currently sitting on my side table at work is "Night Photography - From Snapshots to Great Shots" by Gabriel Biderman with Tim Cooper. We have a local guy that does a lot of recycling for businesses, colleges, universities, k-12 schools, etc. and gets some rather interesting things in at times. We will take random trips down to his warehouse just to see what he's got and do a little "shopping." (We just got about 30 of the digital phones we use here that he was just going to break down into scrap.) But for whatever reason, this book was in the pile of stuff he got in from somewhere. Haven't gotten to read more than the cover, but figured it might be neat to look through and hoping I can pick up a few things as well.
12-09-2019, 11:27 AM - 1 Like   #382
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here's one I'll bet you haven't read...

Freight Equipment of the New York Central
Volume 1: Box, Stock & Refrigerator Cars
by Robert A. Liljestrand & David R. Sweetland

Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #4,123,245 in Books

Chris

12-09-2019, 11:47 AM - 2 Likes   #383
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Freight Equipment of the New York Central
Volume 1: Box, Stock & Refrigerator Cars
by Robert A. Liljestrand & David R. Sweetland

Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #4,123,245 in Books

Chris
Well, this book would certainly affect one's train of thought...
12-16-2019, 06:46 AM - 1 Like   #384
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Do audiobooks count?
I just bought Bob Elliot and Ray Goulding Present: The New! Improved! Bob & Ray Book audiobook.

It's their final release (1985) prior to the death of Ray Goulding in 1990,
comprising recorded excerpts of The Bob and Ray Public Radio Show (1983-1987),
still heard today on some NPR stations. Bob Elliot died in 2016.

Much of their work recorded for radio is still available for sale in various formats.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_and_Ray

This audiobook is on audio cassette. Fortunately my 2003 car still has a working player.
I'm sure some of you download audiobooks to your smartphones or MP3 players.

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 12-17-2019 at 06:21 PM.
12-27-2019, 01:33 PM   #385
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

One of several thoughtful and much-appreciated Christmas gifts from my parents, this one chosen by my Mum (who surprised and impressed me with her choice):

"Behind The Lens: My Life" by actor David Suchet

This is part memoir, part biography, part photographic journal of the people, places, events and "things" Mr Suchet has encountered throughout his life as an actor. I'm very much looking forward to reading it, though won't get round to that for perhaps another week, as I'm still mid-way through another book...

Last edited by BigMackCam; 12-27-2019 at 01:56 PM.
12-27-2019, 01:54 PM - 1 Like   #386
Total n00b Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

For Christmas, I received "Ghost in the Wires" by Kevin Mitnick, which I had picked out while thrift shopping a few weeks ago. Haven't started reading it yet as I've also got 2 books (the first 2 volumes of the Dragonwatch series that continues the Fablehaven story which I rather enjoyed) from the library that I'm going to read while visiting the in-laws.
12-27-2019, 02:01 PM   #387
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Do audiobooks count?
Definitely. I'm listening to Dante's Divine Comedy during my bi-weekly 4 hour trips to and from a worksite.
12-27-2019, 02:01 PM   #388
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I have recently discovered Clive Cussler. Busy with Treasure now. In some respects, it predicted the future of world politics when it was published in 1988.
12-27-2019, 02:02 PM - 1 Like   #389
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sasastro Quote
I find charity shops a good source of reading material
One of our local banks sells donated books for Cdn$2 that they donate to a charaity. When I've read them, I either keep them or pass them on to the local Thrift Shop. Today's find was Jodi Picoult: My Sister's Keeper. It has been opted by my sweetie and I'll get to read it later.
12-27-2019, 02:08 PM - 1 Like   #390
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
This is part memoir, part biography, part photographic journal of the people, places, events and "things" Mr Suchet has encountered throughout his life as an actor.
I prefer non-fiction to fiction. l also find myself fascinated by "behind the scenes" or "making of" accounts, even when the final product holds no interest for me ( I do not watch much TV or movies, but I will sit enrapt by the creative process behind many of the productions) . This book sounds like it would hit my sweet spot on several points.