Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-15-2021, 10:03 AM - 1 Like   #811
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The Man in the High Castle by Philip K Dick.

06-15-2021, 11:07 AM   #812
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Troubled Blood by Robert Galbraith (aka J K Rowling)
06-15-2021, 02:29 PM   #813
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by timb64 Quote
The Man in the High Castle by Philip K Dick.
By coincidence, I just located my copy of that book, during a slightly painful cull of our (overflowing) library. I didn’t toss it out, as it’s a hardback in unmarked condition, so it’s going to become a gift to one of my children or grandchildren. It’s an interesting speculation on what might have been.
06-15-2021, 02:35 PM   #814
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Andrea Camilleri - Inspector Montalbano series - "The Coon on the Halcyon" published in Italy 2019 the year of the author's death. Camilleri had written a conclusion to the series in 2006 (or 2008 don't recall) left with his lawyers to be released after his death. The English translation is to be released later this year.

Halcyon was adapted from a joint Italian-American movie project screenplay that fell through. The film was to be a James Bondish action-thriller and not a Montalbano project. This explains much of the depature from the "Montalbano" world.
I hope that book title is a typo.

06-17-2021, 11:43 AM - 1 Like   #815
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Waffles Quote
Sub Rosa by Robert Aickman. Has one of my all-time favourite short stories: The Cicerones. In my opinion Aickman was the greatest master of the subtle, dream-like weird tale. Sometimes I'll finish one and wonder just what made it seem so unsettling, almost as if the subtlety was pushed as far as possible while still expressing something happening.
I've just Googled him, his books are now on my authors to read list
06-17-2021, 05:57 PM   #816
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I just ordered a copy of Hudson Valley Ruins: Forgotten Landmarks of an American Landscape by Thomas Rinaldi & Robert J Yasinsac.

Perhaps I'll find some interesting places to visit and photographic opportunities during my annual Columbus Day Weekend leaf-peeping trip.

Chris
06-17-2021, 09:47 PM   #817

THE YELLOWHAMMER'S CROSS
by
Michael Loderstedt

06-19-2021, 12:59 PM - 1 Like   #818

Stuart Hills - "By Tank into Normandy" - Hill's was commander of a Troop of DD (Duplex Drive) "Swimming" Sherman tanks of the Nottinghamshire Sherwood Rangers Yeomanry. Taking part of the D-Day landings at Gold Beach in the British sector. He fought through to the surrender of Germany in May 1945. An interesting companion piece to Wayne Robinson's "Verify Forward" the unit history of the US 743rd Tank Battalion which was equipped also with DD Shermans and landed at Omaha beach in the US sector and also fought through to the surrender of Germany. Robinson later adapted the unit history into a novel "Barbara" (re-titled "Hell is of Heroes"). Both the Sherwood Rangers and 743rd Tank Battalion shared similar roles of providing armor support for infantry.
06-24-2021, 07:19 AM   #819

"Achtung - Panzer!" - Heinz Guderian - English translation
06-24-2021, 05:03 PM   #820
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

"The past is in us, and not behind us. Things are never over.”

Tim Winton's 'Dirt Music' is one of my favourite novels. I think his more recent collection of stories with its recurring characters is also really a novel, too.

It's very Western Aussie in its drama and settings, the idyllic surfing lifestyle in a fishing town, inhabited by both folk who fled the city or ones wanting to flee the town for the city, all for their own reasons. The tales cover young love, police corruption, divorce, domestic violence, facing cancer, the downfall of a sporting hero, and reconciliation - big topics.
Attached Images

06-24-2021, 05:07 PM   #821
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Both the Sherwood Rangers and 743rd Tank Battalion shared similar roles of providing armor support for infantry.
With all the advantages of a huge industry - the job of attacking a US infantry division was difficult - it had more tanks than a German panzer division!
06-24-2021, 05:12 PM   #822
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

"Achtung - Panzer!" - Heinz Guderian - English translation
Great bit of revisionism from Heinz.

He writes as if he were Hitler's enemy, instead of a favourite gifted an entire estate in Poland ... he was not popular with other officers.

This was common to the autobiographies of the German generals after the war - they distanced themselves from its conduct and their involvement. Many were angling to be spared from war crimes trials, and to redeem reputations so that they could take part in the newly formed West German military.
06-24-2021, 10:50 PM - 1 Like   #823

Achtung - Panzer! was published in 1937 and not translated into English until 1992. You're thinking of Panzer Leader 1953 (Original title in German Erinnerungen eines Soldaten (Memories of a Soldier) 1950. Czechoslovakia and Poland were a year or two later. Achtung Panzer! is about the development and theory of tank warfare up to 1937. Hitler is only mentioned twice.

The English version "Panzer Leader" was tampered with by Basil Liddel Hart who had text added that doesn't exist in the original to make the British look better. All this was brought to light in historian John Mearsheimer’s 1988 Liddell Hart and the Weight of History

You would also do well to read the 2003 edition of Kenneth Macksey's "Panzer General" (1975, 1992 & 2003). The opinions and assessments of the author changed in light of the tampering revelation, further research and communications with Guderian's contemporaries and their families. For instance in 2002 Macksey learned that Guderian had helped protect the family of Erich Fellgiebel from Fellgiebel's daughter. Fellgiebel was one of the key conspirators in the plot against Hitler. Family members of the conspirators were imprisoned and often tortured. Guderian never mentioned it while he was alive.
06-25-2021, 06:57 AM   #824
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have read a few books about the use of armor in warfare after WWII, very interesting, especially how armor was employed in Iraq and Syria.
06-25-2021, 10:42 AM   #825
Pentaxian

The Smallest Show on Earth by Patrick Church