Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-27-2021, 12:04 PM   #871
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Aerolycea Quote
A Confederacy of Dunces. Ive read it a couple times before over the years and I never really laugh, but I smile all the way through.
I bought that book decades ago. That goes back a long time ago. I completely forgot about it. Not even sure where it is anymore. I'll have to dig it up.

07-28-2021, 10:37 AM - 1 Like   #872
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I bought that book decades ago. That goes back a long time ago. I completely forgot about it. Not even sure where it is anymore. I'll have to dig it up.
It's a good reminder for me as well. I bought it a couple of years ago and have been wanting to read it, but forgot about it. Time to find it again!
07-29-2021, 10:13 AM - 1 Like   #873
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
actually reading an EBook

" Twenty Million Tons Under the Sea: The Daring Capture of the U-505 " by Rear-Admiral Daniel Vincent Gallery

The author commanded the task force which captured the U 505

QuoteQuote:
“Excellent in several ways: it provides a fine quick survey of the whole Atlantic war, it describes the operation of the German U-boat service, and, most dramatically, it tells how an American task force under Admiral Gallery achieved the unique feat of capturing a German submarine.”—Publishers’ Weekly
it is the story of the U boats in W W II and how the U 505 ended up at the Chicago Museum of Science and Industry where you can see it today

U-505 Submarine - Museum of Science and Industry

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_submarine_U-505

Last edited by aslyfox; 07-29-2021 at 10:23 AM.
07-29-2021, 01:48 PM - 1 Like   #874
Pentaxian

I just finished "Why We Swim" by Bonnie Tsui. I'm a long time swimmer and my daughter gave it to me for Fathers Day this year. It's an excellent book that even a non swimmer will find hard to put down. It's described by one reviewer a a "love letter to the water". If you are curious as to why people swim across lakes and places like the English Channel, this book explains it well and also the health benefits of the activity, both physical and mental. A great read.

07-29-2021, 04:13 PM   #875
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

On my ebook I've been reading the series Bruno, The Chief of Police, set in the Perigord region of France. Of course there's always P G Wodehouse, Simenon's Maigret, and lots of others to while the hours away.
07-30-2021, 11:52 AM   #876
Pentaxian

The Wisdom of Sally Red Shoes by Ruth Hogan
07-30-2021, 12:41 PM   #877
Pentaxian

Just received 'The Birds of Holme Bird Observatory 1962-2020'

08-02-2021, 03:21 PM   #878
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The Friendship Highway by Charlie Carroll

A fascinating account of one European’s obsession with visiting Tibet and the tale of one Tibetan’s trials and tribulations dealing with exile from his homeland.
08-03-2021, 12:49 PM   #879
Pentaxian

The Reindeer People by Megan Lindholm
08-11-2021, 02:34 PM - 1 Like   #880
Pentaxian

Just arrived by courier today: The Karakorum: Ice Mountains of Pakistan by Colin Prior. 90 photographs of these astonishing mountains in both colour and B&W and initial impressions are of sumptuous printing quality. An essay by Mick Conefrey accompanies Prior's notes on the six expeditions to capture these glorious images. (my birthday present! )
08-11-2021, 09:22 PM - 1 Like   #881
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
Just arrived by courier today:– The Karakorum: Ice Mountains of Pakistan by Colin Prior. 90 photographs of these astonishing mountains in both colour and B&W and initial impressions are of sumptuous printing quality. An essay by Mick Conefrey accompanies Prior's notes on the six expeditions to capture these glorious images. (my birthday present! )
What a lovely present!

Happy Birthday!
08-14-2021, 09:38 AM   #882
Pentaxian

The Shot by Philip Kerr a brilliantly written reworking of the Kennedy assassination story.
08-22-2021, 03:16 PM - 1 Like   #883
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
Of all the Conrad Ive read, Youth was perhaps the one I enjoyed most at the time.
Wow, Conrad!

Youth happened to be one of a collection of short stories I found in the school library. I was so impressed that by the age of 18 I had already read half of his books. Back then I thought they were just good sea stories, ripping yarns with a slightly foreign flavour to the wording that produced some startling gems of phraseology. But at uni I was taken aback to find that the guy in the next room was studying Nostromo as part of his English course. Until then I had thought that classical literature was just Dickens and Shakespeare. My subject was engineering, so how would I know?

Subsequently I have read everything of Conrad's that has been published in English, some of it twice, and biography too. I have written some significant parts of the Wikipedia entries on his stories. His writing has had a definite effect on me, both in life outlook and in practice - it was why my first employment was as a ship's engineer in the Far East.
09-01-2021, 06:33 PM - 1 Like   #884
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

"Pentaxians Yearbook 2020"
09-02-2021, 01:58 AM   #885
Pentaxian

Hagseed by Margaret Atwood