Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 801 Likes Search this Thread
08-10-2022, 02:27 AM   #1156
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
I guess even the best and most dedicated historian must find it hard to detach themselves from their present social environment.
I agree, and I prefer histories which are impartial as possible. That's why I also like to read older history books, especially eyewitness accounts or autobiographies. So many books, so little time.

08-10-2022, 07:21 AM - 2 Likes   #1157
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
So many books, so little time.
I remember as a 15 year old being told by my English teacher

"Life's too short to read rubbish!"

As I approach 60 that becomes more and more true!
08-11-2022, 10:33 AM   #1158
Pentaxian

Year of the Flood by Margaret Atwood.

The sequel to Oryx and Crake which I read about 10 years ago and never got around to following up.

A post-pandemic/apocalypse story,very prescient and easy reading (given the depressing subject matter).
08-22-2022, 08:28 PM - 1 Like   #1159
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Just completed: "A Woman Of No Importance, The Untold Story of the American Spy Who Helped Win World War II" by Sonia Purnell, 2019, 352 pages.

We learn of unheralded heroes so long after they've left us, and this is particularly so for those involved in clandestine activities.

Paramount has bought the rights and developing it for Daisy Ridley to portray Virginia Hall.

08-23-2022, 03:36 AM - 1 Like   #1160
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Nakedgun Quote
We learn of unheralded heroes so long after they've left us
That's why I often read obituaries.
08-23-2022, 05:59 AM   #1161
Pentaxian

I love the ones for the last of the WWII veterans,they represent a small sample of really heroic lives.
09-14-2022, 08:39 PM   #1162
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Just completed: "The Spy and The Traitor, The Greatest Espionage Story of the Cold War" by Ben Macintyre, 2018 (afterword 2019), 364 pages.

Fascinating story very well-written, a page turner.

09-14-2022, 09:04 PM   #1163
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

We recently watched the Netflix fictional series ’Babylon Berlin’, which has intrigued both us and everyone we’ve recommended it to.

When I subsequently saw the book (on which the TV program was based) for sale I bought it out of curiosity. Although a fairly thick book, it was an easy read, and differed in several ways from the Netflix adaptation, although the story lines were basically the same, and the book covered only half of the series. There’s a second book that covers the remainder of the TV series, which I may follow up with, later.
09-14-2022, 11:17 PM   #1164
Pentaxian

The Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley.The Arthurian legend from the viewpoint of the women in the story.At 1000 pages I’m not sure I’ll stay the course!
09-25-2022, 08:35 PM - 1 Like   #1165
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Just completed: "The Price Of Principle, Why Integrity Is Worth The Consequences" by Alan Dershowitz, 2022, 159 pages.

His 50th book, and the first of his I've read, he explores his stance on a variety of issues and how his life has been affected by those positions.

09-29-2022, 11:35 AM   #1166
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Taking me back in time, I came across a collection of Spike Milligan works, entitled 'The New Milligan Family Collection', and failed to resist the urge to add it to my collection of Milligan's work from his time in The Goon Show and later, including several biographies.

This collection included 'A Book of Milliganimals', 'Silly Verse for Kids', 'Puckoon', 'The Bedsitting Room' and 'Adolf Hitler – My Part in His Downfall'. A previous owner had swapped "Small Dreams of a Scorpion' for 'The Bedsitting Room'.

Zany humour from another time, bless him.
09-29-2022, 09:04 PM   #1167
Pentaxian

Same here. Some tremendous stories of lives lived.
12-06-2022, 03:55 PM   #1168
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just finished "Silent Witness" by Richard North Patterson, my first from this author. Complex murder mystery legal courtroom thriller, if you like that sort of thing. I did, and will be seeking more from this author.
12-06-2022, 05:14 PM - 1 Like   #1169
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I tend to have several books going at one time. Right now I am in a "retro" mode and revisiting some books I read long ago. The group is a real potpourri that includes William Shirer's The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich; James Michener's Recessional; and Aldous Huxley's Brave New World.
12-07-2022, 03:45 PM   #1170
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I’ve recently finished Book V of The Expanse series, and resisting the urge to binge on the remaining works. So, I’m currently reading Bob Dylan’s ‘Philosophy of Modern Song’, Mary Hollingsworth’s history of the Medici, and Peter Rees’s ‘The Missing Man’, which is the biography of Australia’s first indigenous fighter pilot, who flew Kittyhawks in the Pacific theatre during WW2.