12-02-2015, 06:02 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dstar Quote
I presume everybody has free time
What book you reading now
What your favorite
I am currently in the middle of: Diary of Anne Frank. Let me say this is not an easy read. Such a beautiful, talented, gifted and sweet child. She was so adept at keeping everyone's spirits alive with love, encouragement and joy. There are times when I have had to put the book down for a couple of days while trying to get my mind around what happened to her and her people.

Regards,

Tonytee
12-02-2015, 08:26 PM   #3
Pentaxian

The Uses and Abuses of History by Margaret MacMillan.
12-02-2015, 08:38 PM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

John Adams by David McCullough

12-02-2015, 10:42 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Catherine Cookson: Solace of Sin
12-02-2015, 11:23 PM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Not on the table exactly but free time book is 'Empty Mansions'. Lol, book actually on the table for serious reading is 'Examining the Scriptures Daily' and the 'K3 II Manual' surrounded by the appropriate gear which is taking up most of the table space. But back to the Empty mansions book I find it fascinating that despite her extreme wealth and opulent mansions in several places, Hugette Clark managed to live her last 20 years secluded in a hospital room. I guess her wealth made her uncomfortable around everyone else. All the photographs of her was during her childhood and not many thereafter. Maybe there is something to being modest in income and having more cameras than you need.
12-02-2015, 11:43 PM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
My list after work almost none stop 7 day
Baldacci " Memory man"
My next will be Daniel Sylva English girl and Heist
One for relaxing Clive Cussler
My older favorite Skeleton cost
And digital print finally pick up from library
Turn tv off no crazy news or blah blah
Just book and music

12-03-2015, 07:59 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Fifteen Dogs
Actually just finished it, very good book.
12-03-2015, 12:39 PM   #9
Veteran Member

It's quite unusual for me to read one book at a time.

I'm currently reading:

Seal Team 666:
Fiction: Kind of Navy Seals meet the Exorcist. Very light reading and fairly humorist at times. The original has become a series of 3, so far. Available at Amazon & Barnes & Noble.

The Company and the Union:
The story behind the 67 day strike at General Motors. This is a re-read for me. It's fascinating from the stand point that at the time it was published, both the Union and GM denounced it as inaccurate and hogwash, with the Union claiming it was Pro Company and the Company saying it was Pro Union. In reality it may contain some minor flaws, but was pretty much dead on. Out of print and available only used.

Son of Sherman Volume I:
Everything you could ever possibly want to know about Sherman tanks. Volume 2, now in progress is how to build accurate models of these tanks.
Ampersand Publishing

Kursk, The Battle of Prokhorovka:
The famous tank battle that took place between Germany and Russia and broke Germany's armored abilities. It is a large hard cover book, over 1600 pages thick, and I'll probably take the rest of my life to read it! As is the case with specialty books of this nature, it has a very limited publishing number. Kursk

As for favorites, there are a couple. Stephen King's The Stand is one. Despite a few technical flaws (Colt never made a .38 caliber Woodsman), for some reason I really enjoyed the story line and read the book twice. The other is the Shogun series by James Clavell. Again, something in the storyline just clicked with me and I've read it twice - a sign I really like a book.

A non fictional book I found enlightening and informative was Ghost Wars by Steve Coll. If you want an insight into why things are so screwed up between the US and countries in the middle east, most notable, Afghanistan, it's a must read.
12-03-2015, 12:49 PM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
I'm with you there
12-03-2015, 01:36 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
High Tide At Gettysburg.

I can give a pretty mean tour of the place too. I went there in April of last year and it was quite a shock. Amazing how many monuments cannot seen when the leaves are out. A lot less people around too.

Usually I read history or biographies.
12-03-2015, 02:51 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote

I'm currently reading:

Seal Team 666:
Fiction: Kind of Navy Seals meet the Exorcist. Very light reading and fairly humorist at times. The original has become a series of 3, so far. Available at Amazon & Barnes & Noble.

The Company and the Union:
The story behind the 67 day strike at General Motors. This is a re-read for me. It's fascinating from the stand point that at the time it was published, both the Union and GM denounced it as inaccurate and hogwash, with the Union claiming it was Pro Company and the Company saying it was Pro Union. In reality it may contain some minor flaws, but was pretty much dead on. Out of print and available only used.

Son of Sherman Volume I:
Everything you could ever possibly want to know about Sherman tanks. Volume 2, now in progress is how to build accurate models of these tanks.
Ampersand Publishing

Kursk, The Battle of Prokhorovka:
The famous tank battle that took place between Germany and Russia and broke Germany's armored abilities. It is a large hard cover book, over 1600 pages thick, and I'll probably take the rest of my life to read it! As is the case with specialty books of this nature, it has a very limited publishing number. Kursk

As for favorites, there are a couple. Stephen King's The Stand is one. Despite a few technical flaws (Colt never made a .38 caliber Woodsman), for some reason I really enjoyed the story line and read the book twice. The other is the Shogun series by James Clavell. Again, something in the storyline just clicked with me and I've read it twice - a sign I really like a book.

A non fictional book I found enlightening and informative was Ghost Wars by Steve Coll. If you want an insight into why things are so screwed up between the US and countries in the middle east, most notable, Afghanistan, it's a must read.
If interesting about alternative view about Kursk tank battle
Look very older book
Alexander Werth
Russia in the war East front
He spent all time as freelance report with Russian
force very interesting not bios view
man who was where every single day
12-03-2015, 03:29 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dstar Quote
If interesting about alternative view about Kursk tank battle
Look very older book
Alexander Werth
Russia in the war East front
He spent all time as freelance report with Russian
force very interesting not bios view
man who was where every single day
Christopher Lawrence lists 169 books in his biography of reference books including Werth's Russia at War, 1941-1945. He also lists 29 other published participant accounts, 4 archival reprint sources, 27 limited publication sources, 17 foreign military studies, both German and Russian archival material along with 28 German veteran and over 80 Russian veteran interviews.

So when you say 'alternative view', I'm pretty sure this book has it covered. It was specifically designed to tell how the battle came about and what occurred without taking sides.
12-03-2015, 03:47 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
i mean view somebody who was here in bloodily and deadly battle itself.
make different sense when he writing
just my opinion.
my dad was here and his conversation about this battle was ........not easy even after so many years
regard Mikhail
12-03-2015, 05:39 PM - 1 Like   #15

I rarely get the opportunity to sit back and read but there ia a copy of Proof - The photography of Jim Marshal on my table.