Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 801 Likes Search this Thread
12-21-2015, 07:10 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
-Bill Mauldin's Up Front. Gives great insight to the little guys of wwII. You know them. They were the ones that won it! And even more amazing, they came home got on with life!

12-22-2015, 09:42 PM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Nakedgun Quote

I learned about the 1958 discovery of this plane from a display at the March Field Museum in Moreno Valley, California, probably ten years ago. They had B&W photos of it, and perhaps a machine gun and other items (can't remember, now) recovered from the wreckage.
Funny - I've been to March several times but don't recall the artifacts - though they have quite a few glass cases of "stuff". When I was on vacation in Texas, the Lone Star flight museum in Galveston had this display...
Name:  151029-1034LadyBeGoodDiorama.jpg
Views: 297
Size:  142.6 KB
12-23-2015, 09:32 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Halfway through The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman.
12-23-2015, 05:51 PM - 1 Like   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Joel B Quote
-Bill Mauldin's Up Front. Gives great insight to the little guys of wwII. You know them. They were the ones that won it! And even more amazing, they came home got on with life!
That isn't entirely true. Just like soldiers of our current services often suffer PTSD, vets from WWII did too. It manifested itself in many broken homes, abused spouse's and children, alcoholism, drug abuse and even suicide. Unfortunately for them PTSD wasn't a recognized condition and no one from that time frame received any kind of proper treatment and we're forced to deal with it on their own. Many failed.

12-23-2015, 06:22 PM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
That isn't entirely true. Just like soldiers of our current services often suffer PTSD, vets from WWII did too. It manifested itself in many broken homes, abused spouse's and children, alcoholism, drug abuse and even suicide. Unfortunately for them PTSD wasn't a recognized condition and no one from that time frame received any kind of proper treatment and we're forced to deal with it on their own. Many failed.
Yep, you are right. I should have added that part. Bill Mauldin suffered survivors guilt most of his life, and Audie Murphy used his celebrity status to bring attention to some of the problems.
12-23-2015, 07:39 PM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
To KIll a Mockingbird by Harper Lee. I've seen the classic movie many times, but have never read the novel.
12-24-2015, 09:17 PM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Tom S. and Joel B you are both right.

I often think about how much of postwar American culture and history have been shaped
by the experiences of the entire nation both at war and at home during those brief few years.

Chris
Our parents and grandparents, whether they were in active service or served to support the war, shaped our identity and our core values until just the last several years. As the Civil War shaped 3 generations of Americans, so did WWII. The Civil War bound the states into a nation. WWII bound the various waves of immigrants into 'Americans'. What common struggle will bind us now, and what will we become?

12-24-2015, 09:32 PM   #38
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

White Trash.....by Alexandra Allred. I am not a book reader, but this one is amazingly accurate about life in a small Texas town. I haven't read it all, but enough to know it is a fascinating and entertaining read.

I bought it at a Book Fair for $1 from the author ...and it was a genuine bargain!

Regards!
12-24-2015, 11:14 PM   #39
Veteran Member

All of my books have finally finished arriving, so I now have all 10 books of David and Leigh Eddings Belgariad and Malloreon series queued up for reading.
12-27-2015, 10:29 AM   #40
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The Coldest Winter by David Halberstam.
12-28-2015, 12:30 PM   #41
Forum Member

The archeology of Troy by Michael Wood
12-28-2015, 06:32 PM   #42
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Latest additions:
  1. The Pioneer Woman Cooks by Ree Drummond (Hardcover)
  2. The Professionals - Frank O'Rourke (basis for the Western movie). Originally titled "A Mule for The Marquesa"
  3. "All the Best Rubbish - Being an Antiquary's Account of the Pleasures and Perils of Studying & Collecting Everyday Objects from the Past" - by Ivor Noel Hume. (helpful with lens and gear acquisition technique)
01-05-2016, 09:01 PM   #43
Veteran Member

The Road to En-dor
01-06-2016, 07:02 PM   #44
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Photoshop CS2 Studio Techniques
01-07-2016, 05:03 PM   #45
Veteran Member

A Brief History of Seven Killings, novel by Marlon James.