Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-03-2016, 09:41 PM   #91
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
David Baldacci - Memory Man. It's a good one so far.

07-04-2016, 11:13 AM   #92
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Nomads of Niger
Carol Beckwith / Marion Van Offelen
1983, 144 pages
About the Wodaabe, "The Fulani or People of the Taboo"
Great book and photography especially if you are interested in Cultures around the world
07-04-2016, 12:52 PM   #93
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
The updated (after twenty five years), the Don McCullin autobiography, Unreasonable Behaviour
I'm embarrassed to say that I've only just finished this one yesterday, I started it back in January.
07-04-2016, 01:53 PM   #94
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

I'm embarrassed to say that I've only just finished this one yesterday, I started it back in January.
Don't be...I'm just on chapter two....almost two years later.

Some of us are too busy to read much. We spend our time here at PF and what's left is spent "takin' care of business". Reading is one of the great pleasures and adventures of life...and I regret that I don't do more of it. I read far too much of current events, politics, and internet junk with little or no long term value.

Regards!

07-04-2016, 02:10 PM   #95
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Don't be...I'm just on chapter two....almost two years later
If I did that I wouldn't remember what was in chapter 1.
07-04-2016, 02:32 PM   #96
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

If I did that I wouldn't remember what was in chapter 1.
It is kind of a fog to me...but I recall the "jest of it". I am a speed reader, and sometimes speed too fast and miss the best parts or any subtle values that require a little time to sink in. I try not to speed read, it is not a good habit.

Strictly a non-fiction reader.....all that far out stuff does not interest me.......excepting a good conspiracy theory...for some reason, I love those!
I sometimes think all of life is a giant conspiracy of cosmic proportions?? I also sense that dogs and squirrels know this...and it might involve cats at the core of it all???

Regards!
09-14-2018, 03:35 PM   #97
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Read several since I last posted to this one and can't recall them, just now (I would have to dig through my overflowing bookshelves to locate them). but, here are a few:

"The Lost City of the Monkey God" by Douglas Preston, 2017, 302 pages.. About finding non-Maya ruins in Guatemala, and the (then) new use of LIDAR to locate them. An adventure tale I could not put down.

"Jungle of Stone" by William Carlsen, 2016, 460 pages. Describing the Stephenson / Catherwood early-19th century expedition into central America revealing the Maya ruins through their publishing the event, with stunning drawings, which opened the door to further exploration by others. Fascinating.

"Breaking the Maya Code" by Michael D. Coe, 1992, 280 pages. Another page-turner, this one documenting the personalities and conflicts which held back interpretation / decipherment for many decades.

"The Rational Bible - Exodus" by Dennis Prager, 2018, 500 pages. Author's commentary on the Tora beginning with this book. Volume 2, on Genesis, will be released next. Excellent in all respects.

Currently, reading some of Bill O'reilly's "Killing" series books. So far I've read "The Rising Sun" "Patton" and am mid-way through "England." They are entertaining and in a popular format, quick reads.

09-14-2018, 03:43 PM   #98
Veteran Member

Currently working on Notre-Dame de Paris by Victor Hugo, next up is Les Misérables by the same author.
09-14-2018, 04:34 PM   #99
Pentaxian

Three history books, at present. The English and their History, by Robert Tombs, Ring of Steel, Germany and Austria-Hungary at War, 1914-1918 by Alexander Watson and The Habsburg Empire, A New History by Peter Judson. I'm a history buff.

Also reading a lot of John Sandford detective novels. Mr. Sandford is a Pulitzer Price winning journalist who writes wonderful and gripping detective novels. His prime characters are Lucas Davenport and Virgil Flowers and the action takes place in the unlikeliest of areas...Minnesota.
09-14-2018, 04:34 PM   #100
Pentaxian

A Dance With Dragons(part1) by George R R Martin (and trying to watch the TV version concurrently which is getting quite challenging)
09-15-2018, 11:08 AM - 1 Like   #101
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The Mammoth Hunters, Jean M. Auer.
09-15-2018, 11:42 AM   #102
Pentaxian

The River of Consciousness , Oliver Sacks

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
The Mammoth Hunters, Jean M. Auer.
I read that one 40 years ago.
09-15-2018, 11:53 AM   #103
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

"Black Ice", by Michael Connally. One of his Harry Bosch, LA detective novels.

---------- Post added 09-15-18 at 01:55 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I read it about 5 yrs ago. I enjoyed the first few 'Clan of the Cave Bear' novels.
09-15-2018, 02:07 PM - 1 Like   #104
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
The River of Consciousness , Oliver Sacks

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
"Black Ice", by Michael Connally. One of his Harry Bosch, LA detective novels.

---------- Post added 09-15-18 at 01:55 PM ----------

I read it about 5 yrs ago. I enjoyed the first few 'Clan of the Cave Bear' novels.
I go through the library alphabetically, 5 books in 3 weeks. It took me a while to get back to the A's
09-15-2018, 03:00 PM   #105
Veteran Member

I am well into "The Skull Ring" by Scott Nicholson

The Skull Ring by Scott Nicholson