Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-07-2018, 04:38 AM   #121
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The Quarry by Ian Banks
His last novel,and very much informed by his imminent demise.

10-07-2018, 12:07 PM - 1 Like   #122
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
I think I might send it out, if only to get an honest professional opinion (probably in the form of a printed rejection slip). After all, if I show it to family or friends, they'll just try to say something nice no matter how bad it is. I know I would.

As for reading, I've just finished "Emperors & Gladiators" by Thomas Wiedemann. A serious, thoughtful, non-moralising academic study that tries to reconstruct how the Romans themselves might have actually thought about the arena.
I think sending out to a couple of publishers would be worthwhile. I think a lot of times authors are their own harshest critics. Who knows and I wish you well. Many think of writing a book, but few do. It is a lot of work and congratulations to you for completing your book.

Emperors and Gladiators sounds like an interesting book. I do like history and this sounds like my kind of interest. Thx for noting it.
10-17-2018, 06:22 AM   #123
Pentaxian

Lords of the Bow by Conn Iggulden,second in a novelised series of the life of Ghengis Khan and how the Mongol hordes established the largest contiguous empire in human history.
10-18-2018, 09:33 PM   #124
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by timb64 Quote
Lords of the Bow by Conn Iggulden,second in a novelised series of the life of Ghengis Khan and how the Mongol hordes established the largest contiguous empire in human history.
Indeed, who could resist them?

10-25-2018, 10:48 PM   #125
Pentaxian

The Mandibles by Lionel Shriver.A well written novel set in the near future about how four generations of an American family deal with the financial,social and political fallout from an economic apocalypse.Not too sure about some of the economic analysis, but a very enjoyable and easy read.
10-25-2018, 11:04 PM   #126
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The Last Palace, which traces the history of a palatial home in Prague, that since the end of WW2 has housed the US embassy there. A must read for anyone who’s been to Prague, or anyone interested in modern history.
10-26-2018, 03:43 AM - 2 Likes   #127
Pentaxian

I spend Saturday afternoons volunteering in a charity bookshop, which means that I end up bringing home all sorts of oddities to read. At the moment it's a set of English National Opera guides to the Ring Cycle, and as a Wagnerian since my teens I'm having a great time disagreeing with the various scholarly interpretations.

10-26-2018, 05:57 AM   #128
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dstar Quote
I presume everybody has free time
What book you reading now
What your favorite
Reading several.
Fiction: Charles Stross The Revolution Trade, the final Merchant Princess book. I'm interested to see how he ties it up.
Nonfiction: David Quammen, The Tangled Tree: A Radical New History of Life. The knowledge of lateral gene transfer and recognition of the interrelatedness of life requires we think about species, families, orders etc. differently.
Nonfiction: Franz de Waal, Are We Smart Enough to Know How Smart Animals Are? Mostly it's human arrogance and bias which have kept us from fully investigating and understanding both what intelligence is and how intelligent our fellow living creatures are.
Nonfiction: Deborah Gordon: Ants at Work. Ant colonies are organized, we know that. Exactly what they are and how they self-organize is examined here.
10-28-2018, 04:10 PM   #129
Veteran Member

I'm just finishing up "Land Rover: The Story of the Car that Conquered the World" by Ben Fogle, it really is an interesting read (if you like Land Rovers...).
10-29-2018, 10:47 PM - 1 Like   #130
Veteran Member

A few on the go at the moment.

Jack Kerouac - Big Sur
been sitting on the shelf a while, I enjoy Kerouac's writing, but I do need to be in the mood for his style.

Kurt Vonnegut - A man without a country
Love Vonnegut's work, and yeah, this was his final book before he passed away. 90% of it is angry essays about what he feels is wrong with the world.

Chester Himes - A rage in Harlem
I bought a bulk lot of books at auction, and there were about 10 Chester Himes books in there. Fairly entertaining, albeit a bit dated and kitsch.
10-30-2018, 02:04 PM   #131
Veteran Member

Parliament of Whores by P.J. O'Rourke: About congress, of course!
The Interloper (Lee Harvey Oswald in the Soviet Union) by Peter Savodnik: Oswald's attempted immigration and eventual unhappiness in the USSR.
On My Kindle
The Day the World Came To Town by Jim Defede:9/11 when aircraft headed to the US were diverted to Gander and how the folks there opened their home for displaced travelers.

Perhaps another 150 books on it with the majority being Science fiction and history with a few mysteries mixed in.

---------- Post added 10-30-18 at 02:06 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
I'm just finishing up "Land Rover: The Story of the Car that Conquered the World" by Ben Fogle, it really is an interesting read (if you like Land Rovers...).
Does he talk about Lucas, The infernal dark lord? My buddy has gremlins in his Rover fuel pump electronics.
10-30-2018, 03:14 PM - 1 Like   #132
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
Does he talk about Lucas, The infernal dark lord? My buddy has gremlins in his Rover fuel pump electronics.
I was surprised that he didn't, the book was more about the effect of the Land Rover rather than technical details.
10-30-2018, 04:11 PM - 2 Likes   #133
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I was surprised that he didn't, the book was more about the effect of the Land Rover rather than technical details.
As a former owner of a Royal Enfield 350 and an Austin A55 Cambridge, I can vouch for the nasty actions of Lucas the Demon of electrics. PITA and I don't mean bread.
10-30-2018, 04:59 PM   #134
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
As a former owner of a Royal Enfield 350 and an Austin A55 Cambridge, I can vouch for the nasty actions of Lucas the Demon of electrics. PITA and I don't mean bread.
The new Royal Enfields are being built in Milwaukee now! And I think they are skipping the Lucas Infernal Lord of Darkness electronics.
10-30-2018, 10:24 PM   #135
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Land Rovers were things of wonder, when they were new. The one bad thing about them (I discount the electrics, because they were simple enough at the time) was that they eventually led to the development of the ubiquitous urban SUV that plagues our cities with its bulk. Perhaps I should more accurately blame Spen King and the Range Rover.