Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-31-2018, 06:21 AM   #136
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Land Rovers were things of wonder, when they were new. The one bad thing about them (I discount the electrics, because they were simple enough at the time) was that they eventually led to the development of the ubiquitous urban SUV that plagues our cities with its bulk. Perhaps I should more accurately blame Spen King and the Range Rover.
Chelsea tractors.
Over here (Canada, US) a lot of people drive these giant lifted trucks that have never carried any weight or been off the tarmac.

10-31-2018, 08:42 AM   #137
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Chelsea tractors.
Over here (Canada, US) a lot of people drive these giant lifted trucks that have never carried any weight or been off the tarmac.
All the youngsters in my town are out in the woods and bogs with their trucks often. I see them coated in mud pretty much all the time! The older folks with big trucks that aren't used for work probably never go off road and think a dirt road is big time four wheeling!
10-31-2018, 10:15 AM   #138
Veteran Member

Chelsea tractors.
Though I've discovered that in this town there's a place where a lot of them go to immediately hose down after... well, wherever they go to get them caked in mud, probably cause this red dirt really sticks sometimes. And the book I've got here is 'The Golden Princess' by SM Stirling, a bit of alternative-future fiction I've been waiting to get a chance to crack open a few weeks now.
10-31-2018, 10:44 AM   #139
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Though I've discovered that in this town there's a place where a lot of them go to immediately hose down after... well, wherever they go to get them caked in mud, probably cause this red dirt really sticks sometimes. And the book I've got here is 'The Golden Princess' by SM Stirling, a bit of alternative-future fiction I've been waiting to get a chance to crack open a few weeks now.
I haven't seen this book by Stirling. I am a fan of a lot of his earlier work though. Give us a review soon!
I really hate that an e-book is 10.00 or more. Amazon has caused an increase in costs, especially if you were a patron and fan of Baen books. Since they have a deal with Amazon, you can't get the monthly bundles past a certain date when prior to that, you could order bundles from 2014 if you wanted to.

10-31-2018, 11:34 AM - 1 Like   #140
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
I haven't seen this book by Stirling. I am a fan of a lot of his earlier work though. Give us a review soon!
I really hate that an e-book is 10.00 or more. Amazon has caused an increase in costs, especially if you were a patron and fan of Baen books. Since they have a deal with Amazon, you can't get the monthly bundles past a certain date when prior to that, you could order bundles from 2014 if you wanted to.
It's a continuation of the world from 'Dies The Fire,' (kind of another generation removed from the second series) ... I'd been following that series for years, and a copy of the first one I don't have a hardcopy of turned up in a local used bookstore I of course want to encourage, pretty cheap. They had the next one, too, so I may go back for that one next month, too.
10-31-2018, 12:18 PM - 1 Like   #141
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
It's a continuation of the world from 'Dies The Fire,' (kind of another generation removed from the second series) ... I'd been following that series for years, and a copy of the first one I don't have a hardcopy of turned up in a local used bookstore I of course want to encourage, pretty cheap. They had the next one, too, so I may go back for that one next month, too.
The whole series is well worth finding and reading! I have all of them, both 'sides' of the universe-shift, and have reread them more than once...

What's on my table right now (at work) is a whole pile of computer books, deciding what to keep and what to leave for others. I'm being retired medically and last day is next Friday, so there's 30 yrs of 'stuff' to sort... Will I need XML and XSLT and C## and... ? Who knows?!?
10-31-2018, 01:49 PM   #142
Pentaxian

The Fifties by David Halberstam. Also Churchill's Ministry of ungentlemanly Warfare, by Giles Milton and The German Soldier's Pocket Manual , 1914-1918...untitled.

Also John Sanford's Winter Prey and M.C. Beaton's...latest Agatha Raisin mystery.

My wife says I have wide interest in reading material and has never known anyone who reads so much. I'm not sure if her statement is in my favour...or not.

Finding time to read is easier, now that I'm retired.

10-31-2018, 01:59 PM   #143
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm reading Simon Reeve's autobiographical Step By Step - having been to 'An Audience With Simon Reeve' - a birthday present from my daughter - and got a signed copy.
11-02-2018, 01:03 AM   #144
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Chelsea tractors.
Truck! lol... we call it a ute..short for 'utility vehicle
A truck is a multi-wheeled commercial load carrying vehicle such as 'mercans call a 'Semi' ?
11-03-2018, 09:51 PM - 1 Like   #145
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Just completed: "American Colossus, The Triumph Of Capitalism, 1865 - 1900" by H.W. Brands, 2010, 556 pages.

Here we witness the rise of the juggernaut, pushing the American economy to world preeminence undreamed of, while Brands also depicts life for the masses in many fields.
Like other works by Brands, this too, is recommended.
11-19-2018, 07:38 PM   #146
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

We've enjoyed the BBC series "The Durrells in Corfu" on PBS.

For my wife's birthday birthday next week I bought naturalist and
author Gerald Durrell's three books that comprise The Corfu Trilogy.

If they're as good a read as expected he wrote several dozen more...

Chris
11-20-2018, 10:29 PM   #147
Pentaxian

“Designing Your Life” by Bill Burnett & Dave Evans. Having just been retired for medical reasons from federal service, I am trying to figure out what I want to do when I grow up...
11-21-2018, 07:14 AM   #148
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RoxnDox Quote
“Designing Your Life” by Bill Burnett & Dave Evans. Having just been retired for medical reasons from federal service, I am trying to figure out what I want to do when I grow up...
As someone once said “Growing old is unavoidable,growing up is optional!”
11-24-2018, 08:02 AM   #149
Veteran Member

Currently working through Grapes of Wrath, I'm really enjoying the way it's written.
12-26-2018, 09:26 PM - 2 Likes   #150
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Just completed:

"How The Scots Invented The Modern World"
The True Story Of How The Poorest Nation Created Our World & Everything In It

by Arthur Herman, 2001, 429 pages.

Remarkable how they really were involved in the formation of so many aspects of the modern Western world.

Recommended.