Show Printable Version 801 Likes Search this Thread
12-26-2018, 10:04 PM   #151
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nakedgun Quote
Just completed:

"How The Scots Invented The Modern World"
The True Story Of How The Poorest Nation Created Our World & Everything In It

by Arthur Herman, 2001, 429 pages.

Remarkable how they really were involved in the formation of so many aspects of the modern Western world.

Recommended.
Will look into it, sounds interesting.

Next in my queue to read is William Wye Smith, Recollections of a Nineteenth Century Scottish Canadian.

Currently I just completed Into Thin Air and I'm starting on The North-West Passage by Land, originally published in 1865.

12-27-2018, 02:26 AM   #152
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Vietnam: an Epic Tragedy: 1945-1975 By Max Hastings
12-31-2018, 02:32 AM - 1 Like   #153
Veteran Member

Jordan Peterson "12 Rules for Life, an antidote for chaos". You need to sit down and read the chapter fully, not just read a couple of pages or you will get confused. However a great read
12-31-2018, 03:22 AM   #154
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've just finished re-reading South African photographer Obie Oberholzer's book 'Obie'. For some moronic reason it's only available in South Africa, but my contacts smuggled a copy out for me last year

I'm currently also re-reading Nassim Nicholas Taleb's 'Skin in the Game', and reading for the first time Susan Sontag's 'On Photography', which my younger son gave me for Christmas

Next up is John Berger's 'Understanding a Photograph', which my son also gave me, and Roger Ballen's 'Ballenesque' which is winging it's way to me even as I write

12-31-2018, 03:32 AM   #155
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm half way through "Mr Eternity" by Roy Williams - Acorn Press
12-31-2018, 03:55 AM   #156
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
technically it is on my nook but I am in the middle of a fantasy series by author Jonathan Moeller: "FrostBorn: "

an other world struggle of redemption against overwhelming odds by a " fallen " knight and his companions

and for reading an actually book, I am working my way through the paperback edition of Walter Isaacson’s ‘Leonardo da Vinci’

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/01/books/review-leonardo-da-vinci-biography-...-isaacson.html

I am strongly looking at getting the hard cover due to the better presentation of Da Vinci's work that is discussed in the book

Last edited by aslyfox; 12-31-2018 at 05:06 AM.
12-31-2018, 10:32 AM - 1 Like   #157
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Liney Quote
Jordan Peterson "12 Rules for Life, an antidote for chaos". You need to sit down and read the chapter fully, not just read a couple of pages or you will get confused. However a great read
I'm waiting for this book...I've requested from the public library a month or so ago..quite a demand for this book. Looking forward to it and interesting to read your suggestion...I will be sure to follow your advice.

12-31-2018, 06:41 PM   #158
Pentaxian

Strictly a book for reading: Michael Lewis - The Undoing Project. This is the history of Tversky and Kahneman, who were experimental psychologists and won the Nobel Prize for Economics.

Current "coffee-table" or picture book: Penny van Oosterzee - The Centre. A natural history an landscape evolution of Central Australia. This was written a bit later than the Voyage of the Great Southern Ark, which was also a TV series in the 1980s here in Oz. I have both of these, and also Wildlife of Gondwana. I can never escape my legacy of three generations of the Australian outback.
01-01-2019, 08:38 PM   #159
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Liney Quote

I've not read this but have been enjoying his presentations and interviews on youtube for the last year or so.

---------- Post added 1st Jan 2019 at 19:41 ----------

Just completed:

"Killing Lincoln"
The Shocking Assassination That Changed America Forever

By Bill O'reilly and Martin Dugard. 2011, 295 pages.

The story you know, mostly.

Recommended.
01-08-2019, 05:11 PM - 2 Likes   #160
Pentaxian

I usually have several books going at the same time. Currently:

The Wizards of Odd a sci-fi anthology
Clownfish Blues by Tim Dorsey
Don't Vote. It Just Encourages the Bastards by P. J. O'Rourke
Favorite: Red Star Rogue by Kenneth Sewell and Clint Richmond. Nonfiction. In 1968 the Soviet Union tried to nuke Hawaii. This is one of the most frightening books I've ever read.

Up next....one of these
01-13-2019, 04:11 AM   #161
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Jack Dykinga: A Photographer's Life

Just finished reading the Book "Jack Dykinga: A Photographer's Life" (2017, rockynook).

Of course a photography related book, got it as an eBook (english version) and read it on my iPad Pro.

I'm very much impressed. Wonderfully written stories, inspiring and touching thoughts, tech related infos and gorgeous pictures! From photojournalism to natur photographer.

Wow. Anybody else who enjoyed this book?
01-26-2019, 07:28 PM   #162
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Just completed:

"Killers of the Flower Moon" The Osage Murders and the Birth of the FBI
by David Grann, 2017, 316 pages.

Brought to my attention by an American Indian acquaintance who herself had not been aware the events, the story about the Reign of Terror - the systematic murdering of tribal members to obtain their oil headrights one hundred years ago is a story I had no idea took place. A fascinating read of an appalling period in Oklahoma history.

Recommended.
01-27-2019, 11:52 AM   #163
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Nakedgun Quote
Just completed:

"Killers of the Flower Moon" The Osage Murders and the Birth of the FBI
by David Grann, 2017, 316 pages.

Brought to my attention by an American Indian acquaintance who herself had not been aware the events, the story about the Reign of Terror - the systematic murdering of tribal members to obtain their oil headrights one hundred years ago is a story I had no idea took place. A fascinating read of an appalling period in Oklahoma history.

Recommended.
Good job it’s a book on history,not politics
01-27-2019, 12:54 PM   #164
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Just completed Stephen King's It. In 1957, a small group of kids defeat a shape-changing serial killer (if you don't dig clowns, stay away from this). 27 years later, the killings start again and they return to their hometown to finish the job.

King wrote this, Cujo and The Stand in a cocaine addiction fuelled productivity burst, and it clocks in at 1100 pages.

Because he's not a very good writer in the literary fiction sense, I think he has to be judged by his imagination, so I'm glad he was eventually able to move on from writing Lord of the Rings style quests and come up with a genuine vision of his own with The Dark Tower series.

01-27-2019, 01:17 PM - 1 Like   #165
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Just completed Stephen King's It. In 1957, a small group of kids defeat a shape-changing serial killer (if you don't dig clowns, stay away from this). 27 years later, the killings start again and they return to their hometown to finish the job.

King wrote this, Cujo and The Stand in a cocaine addiction fuelled productivity burst, and it clocks in at 1100 pages.

Because he's not a very good writer in the literary fiction sense, I think he has to be judged by his imagination, so I'm glad he was eventually able to move on from writing Lord of the Rings style quests and come up with a genuine vision of his own with The Dark Tower series.
I loved The Stand,classic "good v evil" potboiler