Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 801 Likes Search this Thread
09-09-2019, 03:52 AM - 1 Like   #256
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by timb64 Quote
I’d encourage everyone here to use their local library,a valuable resource always at danger of losing funding.

(I must declare a vested interest having recently changed career to working in my local library as an assistant and relief mobile library driver.After thirty years in the property profession it’s a great change of scene!)
I'm amazed and rather delighted to hear mobile libraries still exist! Until I was seven years old, we lived in quite an isolated rural location, in a tiny community of just a dozen or so ex-miner's homes and very little else for miles around. I warmly remember the library van coming every two or three weeks, and choosing a couple of different books each time. It was exciting and gave me lots of encouragement to read in my early years. I'm sure it's partly the reason I've loved books all my life...

Congratulations on the career change. That sounds good for the soul

09-09-2019, 03:58 AM - 2 Likes   #257
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My daughter gave me this lovely book for Fathers Day. I can recommend it:

A Chronology of Photography - A cultural timeline from Camera Obscura to Instagram by Paul Lowe. ISBN 978-0-500-54503-4
09-09-2019, 05:00 AM   #258
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
Just finished an excellent detailed history of the Gettysburg campaign

THE GETTYSBURG CAMPAIGN

A STUDY IN COMMAND

Edwin B Coddington
Glad you liked it. Of all the books i have read on the subject I still think it the best. Holds up well after 54 years. If you want to become a tour guide at Gettysburg it is one of three books you have to study to pass the test.

Currently reading D-Day by Stephen Ambrose as "light" reading and for heavy reading a book called "My Way of Life" Pocket Edition of St. Thomas Aquinas' Summa Theologica. It is "simplified" for everyone. Never really got into philosophy that much. Many of the paragraphs I have to read several times to make any sense of. Deep stuff and a slow go. I decided to give it a go after reading a biography of Pope John Paul II.
09-09-2019, 05:56 AM   #259
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
Glad you liked it. Of all the books i have read on the subject I still think it the best. Holds up well after 54 years. If you want to become a tour guide at Gettysburg it is one of three books you have to study to pass the test. . . .
while reading it I wanted a map of Maryland and Pennsylvania

there are some maps in the book but I did have problems following the routes

very well documented

09-09-2019, 08:22 AM - 1 Like   #260
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I'm amazed and rather delighted to hear mobile libraries still exist! Until I was seven years old, we lived in quite an isolated rural location, in a tiny community of just a dozen or so ex-miner's homes and very little else for miles around. I warmly remember the library van coming every two or three weeks, and choosing a couple of different books each time. It was exciting and gave me lots of encouragement to read in my early years. I'm sure it's partly the reason I've loved books all my life...

Congratulations on the career change. That sounds good for the soul
Thanks,after all that time in a rather self obsessed,money driven sector it feels good to be involved in something that feels wholly positive and puts back into society
09-09-2019, 04:56 PM - 1 Like   #261
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Mathew Reilly....The Five Greatest Warriors
09-09-2019, 05:57 PM - 1 Like   #262
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote

Jim Mattis and Bing West
'Warrior Monk' Mattis can always be trusted to produce an outstanding quote. One of his is: "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."

09-09-2019, 06:00 PM - 2 Likes   #263
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote

First, "Gwendy's Button Box" by Stephen King and Richard Chizmar, a short novella that can easily be read in one or two sittings. I was a little nervous about it, since I'm not generally a fan of co-authored books, plus I felt that King himself peaked some time ago. I needn't have worried - this is a brilliant little story, classic Stephen King in style and execution. I'm not certain if it was written for an adult or "young adult" audience, but it's equally appropriate for either. If you've ever read Clive Barker's "The Thief of Always", this bears some similarities...
'The Stand' is one of my favourite books, Mike.

My wife and I are off to see "It, Part Two" this evening. An unlikely Date Night film, I agree!
09-09-2019, 06:29 PM   #264
dbs
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
'The Stand' is one of my favourite books, Mike.

My wife and I are off to see "It, Part Two" this evening. An unlikely Date Night film, I agree!
At least you have someone to cling too
09-10-2019, 01:53 AM   #265
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
At least you have someone to cling too
Yeah, it's probably not great to suddenly clutch a stranger during a scary moment.

09-10-2019, 07:49 AM - 1 Like   #266
dbs
Pentaxian

Yeah, it's probably not great to suddenly clutch a stranger during a scary moment.
Hi Clackers

Well if you are still awake ( ofcourse you are you can't sleep now can you ) how was it, It2 that is.
And no I shall not be watching it I didn't like the first one.

Dave
09-10-2019, 05:28 PM - 1 Like   #267
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi Clackers

Well if you are still awake ( ofcourse you are you can't sleep now can you ) how was it, It2 that is.
And no I shall not be watching it I didn't like the first one.

Dave
(Laughs)

You probably won't like the second one, either, Dave. I haven't seen the first, which was both popular and well-received by critics.

The good: Some of the eccentricities of the novel (and it's got plenty, it was done in a cocaine-mad period which also produced Cujo and The Stand) have been eliminated. The cast does well (Bill Hader and Jessica Chastain headline) with interesting cameos from Peter Bogdanovich (the legendary director of What's Up Doc, The Last Picture Show and Mask) as … a film director … and King himself as the thrift store owner.

The bad: It's much too long. The 'ending' seems to go on forever, detracting from the start of the film, and the screenwriters depart from the book and come up with their own fairly ridiculous method of defeating our favourite psychopathic clown. Only one thumb up, unfortunately!
09-10-2019, 06:11 PM   #268
dbs
Pentaxian

(Laughs)

You probably won't like the second one, either, Dave. I haven't seen the first, which was both popular and well-received by critics.

The good: Some of the eccentricities of the novel (and it's got plenty, it was done in a cocaine-mad period which also produced Cujo and The Stand) have been eliminated. The cast does well (Bill Hader and Jessica Chastain headline) with interesting cameos from Peter Bogdanovich (the legendary director of What's Up Doc, The Last Picture Show and Mask) as … a film director … and King himself as the thrift store owner.

The bad: It's much too long. The 'ending' seems to go on forever, detracting from the start of the film, and the screenwriters depart from the book and come up with their own fairly ridiculous method of defeating our favourite psychopathic clown. Only one thumb up, unfortunately!
Hi Clackers

One sure way of decapitating a book/story is pass it on to a hollywood film director.
I think they are just to lazy to write their own.

Dave
09-10-2019, 06:52 PM   #269
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi Clackers

One sure way of decapitating a book/story is pass it on to a hollywood film director.
I think they are just to lazy to write their own.
Massive debate, that, book vs film, Dave.

You can find examples to prove either way. They say Coppola got a masterpiece out of Puzo's workmanlike The Godfather novel, whereas most Stephen King adaptations (perhaps Carrie and The Shawshank Redemption aside) have been disappointing. 'To Kill A Mockingbird' was wonderful in both forms.
09-11-2019, 01:55 AM   #270
dbs
Pentaxian

The Old Ghan......Brian .R.Newell