Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-09-2019, 01:20 PM - 2 Likes   #301
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
The lady certain has gotten a bushelful of hate mail these last couple of years, over something she penned 3 decades ago
Her whole thing,she says,is that she hasn’t written about something that hasn’t already happened.It just seems a bit close to the bone for some people today,but that’s in danger of straying into the forbidden “political” zone

10-09-2019, 03:55 PM - 1 Like   #302
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
"Has anyone unknown to you asked you to carry an item onboard the aircraft?" asks the man.

"No." I say.

"Has any item you're carrying been out of your control since the time you packed them?" asks the man.

"No." I say.

The man looks at our licences. He looks at us. Eyes lock. I am empty. al-Omari smiles like a moron. No, al-Omari smiles because he is a moron.

Jarett Kobek's novella 'Atta' (MIT Press) imagines the terrorist's life leading up to the 911 attacks. Very po-mo, there are chapters counting backwards to zero alternating between third person and first person narrative, discourses into mythology, Walt Disney and architecture, and even a surreal scene where Atta plays volleyball against Osama Bin Laden (who is lanky and hard to get past).

There's a bonus short story describing Saddam Hussein's capture by Marines from his 'spider hole' in Iraq.
10-09-2019, 05:53 PM - 2 Likes   #303
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I currently have four books In working through, slowly.
1) The Autobiography of Benjamin. Franklin. Quite entertaining for the most part! It was a recommendation from the late:
2)John Taylor Gatto (author of) "Dumbing us Down" something about the hidden dangers of compulsory schooling. Very interesting!
3)Rich Dad, Poor Dad. Recommend to me by a few people, just started this one
4) The Obesity Code by Dr. Fung. Very interesting as well!
10-10-2019, 12:21 AM - 1 Like   #304

The Expanse series. I'm hooked...

10-10-2019, 12:53 PM   #305
dbs
Pentaxian

More Mathew Reilly
Ice station
10-18-2019, 08:29 PM - 2 Likes   #306
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Just completed:
"The Wars Of The Roses" The Fall of the Plantagenets and the Rise of the Tudors
by Dan Jones, 2014, 340 pages.

I do like Jones' thoroughness in each of the books by him I have read. His latest, "The Crusaders" in in my pile of unreads.
10-27-2019, 02:01 PM - 1 Like   #307
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've got quite a few books lying around waiting for me to read them, but I'm reading less and less printed, well thought-out stuff and more and more digital nonsense.

I have started with "Infinite Jest" by David Foster Wallace a few months ago, but only picked it up once since starting it, despite it being fun to read. I think I'll have to start from the beginning when I pick it up again

10-27-2019, 03:58 PM - 1 Like   #308
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just finished "Appetite for America" about the man and his company that brought good eating to the west and some great hotels too, as well as the Harvey Girls. a good read for sure. . Now I'm on to Black and White Photography by Michael Freeman suggested by some forum users.
10-28-2019, 08:44 AM   #309
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

VINE: Grasshopper
10-28-2019, 07:51 PM - 1 Like   #310
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Winter's Tale by Mark Helprin
Fenway 1912: The Birth of a Ballpark, a Championship Season, and Fenway's Remarkable First Year by Glenn Stout
10-29-2019, 01:33 PM   #311

Photos: Gallery
Working my way through Robin Hobb's books, just started the Rain Wild trilogy now.
10-29-2019, 02:06 PM - 1 Like   #312
Veteran Member

I started the Lord of the Rings but then I thought I should read The Hobbit first. So here I am, lost somewhere under the Misty Mountains with stinky Goblins not far behind.
10-29-2019, 03:19 PM - 4 Likes   #313
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Almost through The Fourth Age: Smart Robots, Conscious Computers, and the Future of Humanity, by Byron Reese. Considered to be one of the best books about AI (artificial intelligence) at the moment.
10-30-2019, 03:41 AM - 1 Like   #314
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Nakedgun Quote
I do like Jones' thoroughness in each of the books
Agreed, "The Templars " and "The Plantagenets" were both very deep, but enjoyable reading

As for Rand and Atlas Shrugged, how much you enjoy that book depends on your own views on many subjects. The books illustrates some scenes from a dytstopia, very well, but the book would have benefitted from some editing and tighter pacing. FWIW, here shorter books like Anthem are better reads, anything with 1,000 pages is going to be a slog.

Last edited by robgski; 10-30-2019 at 03:47 AM.
10-30-2019, 09:58 AM   #315
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Ii'm on a huge Star Wars novels kick, right now, especially because all of the new ones are actually canon. Since I don't have much free time to read, I just listen to the audio books while driving in LA traffic.

Current "read": Alphabet Squadron. It's pretty good, but I've always liked Alexander Freed's writing. He's right up there with Timothy Zahn